Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #31
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I had my first four before I was 28 and my last 2 a few months before turning 40 & 42. My joints ached more during pregnancy and its harder now to have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 10 mo old than it was to have 4 under 5. But I don't know if that's my age or just the facts that my life is way more stressful and I have 6 kids. No one acts like I'm too old to have littles but it's kinda weird driving your older kids to work with their screaming baby brother in the back seat or talking to fellow parents at high school lacrosse games about college while chasing your toddler.

my droid RAZR HD is responsible for the contents of this post

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #32
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: upper 30s or almost 40, or 40+ and pregnant

I had my latest at 33 so not that close to 40 yet but I can say him being my 5th (live, 8th pregnancy) in 10 years YES it was harder. Maybe it's just that we've had so many in a short time or maybe it's my chunkiness (definitely not a skinny mama). But my back hurt the whole pregnancy, my hands hurt (numb), arthritis is setting in and even now 15 months after having him I still hurt (back, hands, etc). I just chalk it up to getting old. Though I'm much too young to feel this darn old
Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #33
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
I had my first four before I was 28 and my last 2 a few months before turning 40 & 42. My joints ached more during pregnancy and its harder now to have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 10 mo old than it was to have 4 under 5. But I don't know if that's my age or just the facts that my life is way more stressful and I have 6 kids. No one acts like I'm too old to have littles but it's kinda weird driving your older kids to work with their screaming baby brother in the back seat or talking to fellow parents at high school lacrosse games about college while chasing your toddler.

my droid RAZR HD is responsible for the contents of this post
This is me too! I had 4 by 28...then had my last 2 at 35 and 39! It is weird having a 1 year old....and a 20 year old! my actual pregnancy at 39 wasn't too bad..just really tired! But now I feel like I am the old mom...when I used to be a young mom!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #34
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not that I count, because I don't, but I had this past baby (#4) at 28 and my first at 20. This pregnancy was such a breeze! I felt soooo much better at 28, physically, and I even started out 10 pounds heavier. I worked throughout the pregnancy full-time, only gained 15 pounds, and had zero health problems- no high blood pressure, no diabetes, I hardly even swelled at the end (although to be fair, he was born late preterm at 36 weeks and some odd days). I really think it's all in how you take care of yourself. If you gain little weight (gain on the lower spectrum of the guidelines based on your pre-pregnancy BMI), eat a healthy diet, stay active and don't use the pregnancy as an excuse to sit on your bum, there's no reason why you can't have a great, energetic pregnancy at 35+.

Edit: I think a lot of doctors are wary about pregnancies with women who are 35+ because there are increased risks, especially with baby. But they shouldn't be derogatory about it- and they should put it into perspective. Plenty of women have healthy babies as "AMA" women. Go to any university epicenter and you'll see lots of women with gray hair pregnant. If you have a woman who is 42, and she's fit, of a healthy weight, no co-morbidities, and then you have a woman who is 25 who is morbidly obese, hypertensive, sedentary and eats junk all day- the 25 year old isn't at much of an advantage- if any. There are more factors at play than age fo sho.

Last edited by holly6737; 04-16-2013 at 06:50 AM.
holly6737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

I had DS1 a few weeks after I turned 28, after struggling to get pregnant and taking clomid. I had DS2 nine years later after getting pregnant easily then (surprise!) DS3 at 38. I was certainly more tired the second and third times but I also had more to deal with, it wasn't just about being pregnant, I was already a mom. My oldest might have gotten the more energetic mom, but my younger kids got a better mom than my first.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #36
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I come from long line of young moms. Every woman in my family and my brother had their first child at 19, purely coincidental. My mom was done at 23, grandma done at 27, ggma done at 25, and I had my fourth and last child at 28.

I think there are benefits and struggles on both sides of the age range.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #37
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think AMA is a bunch of hooey for the most part. To be clear, I am only addressing the mother's health and not the genetic issues that gradually increase with maternal age.

I just got back from a DC trip with 5th grade DS1 and 90 of his closest friends. I am 36 and 28-29 wks pregnant with my 4th viable child. I heard far more complaints from the women and men in our group than I even felt much less voiced. Granted some are heavier than me. Some are older than me. Still, little miss 3rd trimester here kept up just fine and only complained if she had to stand still for too long. And I'm not particularly fit-just not particularly overweight. I actually feel physically better moving around than sitting still all the time. The bus rides bothered me the most.

I did ask my OB about AMA and she basically told me she wouldn't treat me any differently (unless something came up that needed treating and that would be the same no matter my age) and that insurance would cover some testing that it wouldn't for a younger woman. I only do U/S for the baby anyway so it didn't make a bit of difference to me.

I am just as tired with this one as I was with my others. Everything gets big quicker and I seem to have more cankle issues with each subsequent pregnancy. I think this has more to do with the use of my body and would be issues whether I was having my 4th at 26, 36, or 46. It does seem like my body is showing signs of wear and tear. I am no Michelle Duggar.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #38
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
All of the sibs in my family waited to have kids until late 30's. One sister had fertility issues related to endometriosis rather than age.

I had dd1 at 37, no issues. DD2 at 39 (1 mo shy of 40). My sil had a baby at 43 two days ago.

I was a lot more tired the second time because I couldn't just take a nap when I wanted.

I asked my ob for dd2 if he had a problem with my AMA (last dr acted like I was about to drop dead/had expired 'best before this date' tag on my forehead). He said that he would rather have a healthy 40 yo mom than a smoking 25 yo.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote