Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Not gaining weight

Well, my youngest went in today for his 1 month check up, he has only gained 4 ounces in 3 weeks The doctor is sending him for a barium swallow to figure out what is causing the excessive spitting up. She got the insurance to approve it!!!! Took her about 20 minutes on the phone with them because she could prove the lack of weight gain. So we will know tomorrow afternoon, hopefully, what is going on. She is hoping that it is GERD rather than pyloric stenosis. If it is stenosis we have to go out of town to have the surgery done to correct it. If it is GERD the meds are not covered under the insurance normally but she is going to try to get them to approve them. If she can't we will have to just pay out of pocket for them. Hoping that it is correctable with the meds instead of having to have surgery.

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Not gaining weight

Hope it can be fixed with meds. Tons of hugs!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

They did an ultrasound and he was marginal for having pyloric stenosis (one of my sisters had it as well). He was dehydrated, put on fluids, meds and came home.

Lots of med combinations and 4 months later, he was put on Solutabs, and boy, they are expensive! But, they worked!! Even with that, he struggled with reflux from time to time. We had bouts of painful screaming, but there was little else they were willing to prescribe. So, we added smethicone (sp?) as needed... that stuff helps! He just turned 15 months, and has been taking off meds.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

Last edited by HugeBabyBoy; 04-15-2013 at 10:22 PM.
HugeBabyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
My 3 year old had pyloric stenosis and severe reflux. He had surgery to fix it and still at 3 throws up regularly. The baby also has reflux but is still gaining weight albeit slowly. I feel for you mama this can be very hard on a mama.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

At this point I am just waiting for the doctor to call and let me know what the results were. He threw up all over the place while we were there, he also did his typical scream as if it was painful when he threw up as well. So right now all I can do is wait for the doctor's phone call.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Well it is not stenosis! He does have pretty bad reflux though but we can deal with that. I would rather try meds for his stomach than him have to get surgery. Trick is now to get the insurance to pay for the meds. If they won't we will pay for them but it would be nice if the insurance would.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
FrozenBooty
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Don't stop fighting till they pay for the meds. Also Zantac is 4$ at most chain pharmacies like Kroger , Walmart, target. My son takes omeprazol we get compounded at a pharmacy and reglan which helps move his food through his stomach faster I guess reglan you can also get the generic cheap.

FrozenBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Mama, has baby been examined for tongue/lip tie by an expert in the field? Tongue tie can cause low weight gain as well as severe reflux.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddlebunny_24
Well it is not stenosis! He does have pretty bad reflux though but we can deal with that. I would rather try meds for his stomach than him have to get surgery. Trick is now to get the insurance to pay for the meds. If they won't we will pay for them but it would be nice if the insurance would.
Well, that's some positive news! Yeah!
HugeBabyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Id look to see if your baby is tongue tied. This is a SUPER common prob in TT babies and the weight gain being that low.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote