Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy My 3mo hasn't gained in a month - tongue/lip tie release on 4/12

The last weight I have for J2 (three months old yesterday) was 11 lbs 6 oz at his two-month appointment. I just weighed him again on my scale here at home (a postal scale, so it's accurate to within a fraction of an ounce) and he's still 11 lbs 6 oz. Both weights are naked weights. He has his next shots visit the day after tomorrow, and they'll probably weigh him again then (so I can have his current weight for if he needs any Tylenol afterwards or something), but I'm starting to get concerned. Even with different scales, I would think that he would have gained SOMEthing in a month. He IS having the appropriate number of wet and poopy diapers, so something is going in. I'm having deja vu because B only gained 2 oz between his four-month and his six-month visits. It ended up being that _I_ wasn't getting enough calories, and once I started actually counting calories, he started gaining appropriately, but I'm getting enough now so I don't know what his problem is, especially this early (B was a fattish baby until he hit about 3 months old).

And here I was thinking that three months old was time for another growth spurt. :/

Advertisement

Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would weigh him with clothes and a diaper on, feed him, then way him with the same clothes and same diaper on and then you can see how many ounces he is getting with each feeding. Also start putting olive oil on some things you eat that made dd gain weight.

Also do you block feed - which is one side per feeding. That helped us too because she got more of the hind fatty milk hugs mama!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: My 3-month-old hasn't gained anything in a month.

When it comes to weighing babies, the scale can make all the difference. I wouldn't try to worry too much until he has been weighed on the doctor's scale, assuming he has been weighed on that scale before. Even a very accurate scale can differ from another scale as far as baselines go.

Keep us posted.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good luck. I went through the same thing with DD except she fell completely off of the WHO growth charts before I caught it. A postage scale will give you a rough estimate of your babies weight but its not going to be accurate like an actual baby scale. I know this because I weighed my DD on our postage scale too. What I ended up doing was renting a baby scale from a IBCLC and doing 24 hours pre and post feed weighs. When it was all said and done my baby was only getting very little milk.

Also block feeding when you don't have an oversupply might only make the weight loss worse for your little guy. I had an IBCLC tell me I had an over supply and my baby needed more hind milk which is one of the reasons I rented the scale because it seemed like no one wanted to address the elephant in the room which was that baby wasn't gaining because she wasn't taking enough milk.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I checked his weight on the pedi's scale, and he gained 1.5 oz on that scale from being weighed on it a month ago. I also weighed on the IBCLC's scale and will weigh on hers again in two weeks. She wants me to eat some milk-producing foods (when I was having issues with B three years ago, she loaned me a book called "Mother Food" or something like that, and I have since bought my own copy) and also feed him in an upright position, facing me on my lap. I tried that while there in the group but he just wanted to still lay down, so I had to alternate holding his head and giving my breast compressions. He ate for about 7 minutes and after the feed, weighed 1.7 oz more than he did before. I tried to offer him the other side, but he was too tired and he just fell asleep instead.

She did ask me if I was opposed to medication for him (for reflux, if he has it) and I said I was not, if that is his issue, but she said that at this age, he definitely should be gaining a lot more than he is. I left a message at my doctor's office asking about the weight gain in combo w/ the spitting and the nurse is going to call me back in the morning after she talks to the doctor.

So that's today's update.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it was going. Definitely between 1 and 3 months a breastfed baby should gain faster than a formula fed baby with a minimum weight gain of 4 oz. Per week. I am not saying that to make you feel bad because I had the same issue and everyone kept saying "oh she's underweight" but never telling me by exactly how much. After she fell off the charts and I did my research I realized she was 32 oz. under her minimum weight gain if she'd gained 4 oz. Per week.

Is your baby fussy and acting hungry? Or does he seem okay?

I am glad you are working with an LC I hope you see a positive change!

Last edited by evasimone; 04-03-2013 at 04:06 PM.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Is your baby fussy and acting hungry? Or does he seem okay?
He's fussy/screaming way more than he's happy/calm.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

His pedi did end up calling him in a prescription for Prevacid late last week, and he started that yesterday. No apparent change yet from that.

We're also taking him to a dentist on Wednesday to get him evaluated for a lip and/or tongue tie and talk about possibly getting that corrected, if he has it. If we do get it revised, then that procedure will be on Friday morning.

Today was his screamingest day yet and he started early. Hoping tomorrow will be a little better.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand
When it comes to weighing babies, the scale can make all the difference. I wouldn't try to worry too much until he has been weighed on the doctor's scale, assuming he has been weighed on that scale before. Even a very accurate scale can differ from another scale as far as baselines go.

Keep us posted.
This.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

He does have a tongue and lip tie, grade 3 (where 4 is the worst). His release procedure will be on Friday morning.