Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
ulawolf's Avatar
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 3,499
Sun butter without cane sugar?

We just found out dd4 is allergic to peanuts. We were told to try Sun butter or wow butter. I went to every local store here and even the organic brands have cane sugar. Anyone know of a brand that doesn't have sugar? Or does anyone make their own? We try not to do any sugar really. Honey is about all we use for a sweetener and not often

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
jbug_4's Avatar
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 6,849
My Mood:
Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

I don't know of any. Unfortunately some sort of sugar needs to be added otherwise it won't taste like peanut butter. Not that they taste exactly like peanut butter to begin with but they really need the sweetener. Even with it they are more like a natural peanut butter then Jif. They don't taste like sweet peanut butter. the sweetener really just helps with the flavor.

I have never tried it but if you can find sunflower seeds without peanut contamination (I have never been able to find any) then you could probably make your own with honey. Here some online http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/pean...seeds_s/43.htm not cheap.

Here are some peanut butter subs http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/Pean...utes_s/129.htm I have tried the IM Healthy one- it has honey and cane sugar. Its ok but Wow butter definitely taste better.

If you have a local health food store try them. Ours has a local brand BUT because they are small the our local place processes only peanuts separately. All other nut butters are processed in same facility.

There are some things you either have to do away with completely or make sacrifices with.
__________________
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.

Last edited by jbug_4; 04-16-2013 at 08:48 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Nandis's Avatar
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Down by the bay
Posts: 430
Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

I think Futter's nut butters probably has what you're looking for. They have all natural and organic nut and seed butters that have nothing added to them. They also have flavored varieties like chocolate and sweetened blends. In case you need/want something easier than DIY. I've purchased many butters from there and all were very fresh and delicious!

Is it just peanut or is it tree nuts, too? I make almond butter for our family often (we used to buy a gallon every month- buying the nuts in bulk is cheaper!). It is just raw almonds, a little oil, and salt. I make it in the vitamix, but there are a lot of blogs I've seen that say you can make it in a food processor and that you don't need added oil if you roast the nuts first. I don't have a food processor and the vitamix requires the extra oil to get things moving. I would think any other seed or nut butter would be the same, but depending on how naturally oily it is, you may or may not need added oil. It does take time though. With the vitamix, it's a minute or two of working the tamper. From my understanding, with a food processor it's several minutes of running the machine, stopping, scraping down the sides, running the machine some more... So it may not be worth the time/effort for you. For us, being dairy free, we use a lot of nuts & seeds in general- mostly almonds, cashews, sesame seeds, pecans, pistachios, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. I never thought to make sunflower seed butter, but that's probably just because the hulled seeds go in granola and the kind that's still in the shell gets eaten at baseball games. LOL I'll have to try making sunbutter! It sounds yummy...
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
ulawolf's Avatar
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 3,499
Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandis View Post
I think Futter's nut butters probably has what you're looking for. They have all natural and organic nut and seed butters that have nothing added to them. They also have flavored varieties like chocolate and sweetened blends. In case you need/want something easier than DIY. I've purchased many butters from there and all were very fresh and delicious!

Is it just peanut or is it tree nuts, too? I make almond butter for our family often (we used to buy a gallon every month- buying the nuts in bulk is cheaper!). It is just raw almonds, a little oil, and salt. I make it in the vitamix, but there are a lot of blogs I've seen that say you can make it in a food processor and that you don't need added oil if you roast the nuts first. I don't have a food processor and the vitamix requires the extra oil to get things moving. I would think any other seed or nut butter would be the same, but depending on how naturally oily it is, you may or may not need added oil. It does take time though. With the vitamix, it's a minute or two of working the tamper. From my understanding, with a food processor it's several minutes of running the machine, stopping, scraping down the sides, running the machine some more... So it may not be worth the time/effort for you. For us, being dairy free, we use a lot of nuts & seeds in general- mostly almonds, cashews, sesame seeds, pecans, pistachios, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. I never thought to make sunflower seed butter, but that's probably just because the hulled seeds go in granola and the kind that's still in the shell gets eaten at baseball games. LOL I'll have to try making sunbutter! It sounds yummy...
It is definitely peanuts however the dr is recommending no nuts until after 3 at this point. I have the i am healthy brand and i found it to be pretty good. I chose it over the wowbrand because it had the canesugar as the last ingredient where wowbutter had it as the second.

I will try this other brand and see what i can find.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
ulawolf's Avatar
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 3,499
Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
I don't know of any. Unfortunately some sort of sugar needs to be added otherwise it won't taste like peanut butter. Not that they taste exactly like peanut butter to begin with but they really need the sweetener. Even with it they are more like a natural peanut butter then Jif. They don't taste like sweet peanut butter. the sweetener really just helps with the flavor.

I have never tried it but if you can find sunflower seeds without peanut contamination (I have never been able to find any) then you could probably make your own with honey. Here some online http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/pean...seeds_s/43.htm not cheap.

Here are some peanut butter subs http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/Pean...utes_s/129.htm I have tried the IM Healthy one- it has honey and cane sugar. Its ok but Wow butter definitely taste better.

If you have a local health food store try them. Ours has a local brand BUT because they are small the our local place processes only peanuts separately. All other nut butters are processed in same facility.

There are some things you either have to do away with completely or make sacrifices with.
My kids have never had store bought peanut butter.lol. We have always made it or bought it form our local coop with just peanuts and olive oil. So they have no idea how sweet peanutbutter can taste.lol
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
jbug_4's Avatar
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 6,849
My Mood:
Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

We used natural so just peanut and oil. Some people try the subs thinking its going to taste like sweetened Jif and get a big surprise. But if you've been doing natural stuff then its not that different.

The company from the pp says call with allergy concerns. I would call them and see if they have separate lines for all the nuts. If we were avoiding tree nuts because of a potential tree nut allergy I probably wouldn't order from them unless they guarantee that their sunflower seed line doesn't mix with the other nuts. Since dd is negative for tree nuts and we only avoid due to peanut cross contamination we would order from them. but that is a personal choice. Some people are completely comfortable with same facility processing. I have known too many people who have had reactions with same facility processing so we avoid it like the plague for peanuts.
__________________
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.

Last edited by jbug_4; 04-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Nandis's Avatar
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Down by the bay
Posts: 430
Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

^^^wss. I didn't really think about cross contamination with the nuts. I was just thinking no peanuts- I thought I remembered them being a peanut free company. But I wouldn't hesitate to call them. Since I got my vitamix and started ordering from azure standard (which probably has x-contam issues) I haven't ordered from Futter's. but they shipped quick and everything was well packaged. I just have more fun playing with my kitchen toys.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
ulawolf's Avatar
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 3,499
Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandis View Post
^^^wss. I didn't really think about cross contamination with the nuts. I was just thinking no peanuts- I thought I remembered them being a peanut free company. But I wouldn't hesitate to call them. Since I got my vitamix and started ordering from azure standard (which probably has x-contam issues) I haven't ordered from Futter's. but they shipped quick and everything was well packaged. I just have more fun playing with my kitchen toys.
i really want a vitamix but just cant justify the cost yet If i could find non x=contam sunflower seeds i bet i could get dh on board.

i will call and ask. I am not ready to deal with possible x-contam on all nuts yet just in case. I am still recovering from the peanut reaction I am not so apposed to a little canesugar. I just prefer to keep my kids from enjoying un-naturally sweet things because it's so hard to break them of that taste preference.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Hungry Caterpillar's Avatar
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,271
Re: Sun butter without cane sugar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
i really want a vitamix but just cant justify the cost yet If i could find non x=contam sunflower seeds i bet i could get dh on board.

i will call and ask. I am not ready to deal with possible x-contam on all nuts yet just in case. I am still recovering from the peanut reaction I am not so apposed to a little canesugar. I just prefer to keep my kids from enjoying un-naturally sweet things because it's so hard to break them of that taste preference.
Can you just grow sunflowers? They grow like weeds.
__________________
Andrea
Mama to B and E, Wife to E
Parenting with Hugs and Terror since 2011
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
danielle's Avatar
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orchard Park, WNY
Posts: 9,391
My Mood:
I have organic sunflower seeds from Tierra Farms. You could talk to them about contamination. I will be making sunny butter pretty soon and will try it with honey and let you know how it goes.
__________________
Danielle, Nick, Gigi ('08) and William ('11)
Happy Family
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.