Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Sparklebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
High risk?

I don't consider myself high risk yet, but I'm at high risk of becoming high risk Anyone else?

I've had cholestasis twice, only diagnosed once but all signs point to the fact that it was definitely present in my first pregnancy as well as my second. It's a miserable disease that's not very common and there is still a lot unknown about it. It carries a high chance of stillbirth after 37ish weeks though, so it's a one way ticket to induction if I do get it again.

Rate of recurrence is super high, I have approx a 60-90% chance of having it in every pregnancy. This will be the first time I'm actively trying to prevent it (if that's even really possible) though. I would really, really love to birth outside the hospital, so I'm reeeaaalllly hoping to be in that magic 10-40%! (Killer odds, right!? )

Advertisement

Sparklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
beckstar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: High risk?

what measures are you taking to prevent it? can you supplement with milk thistle and other liver supporting herbs? i know my mw said to stay very very hydrated when my lower legs started to itch and i wondered if it was pg related (tho i think mainly estrogen related)...

i would say you're high alert at this time.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Sparklebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, I drink TONS of water, dandelion root tea, milk thistle is on the list but I haven't picked any up yet. And besides that it's keeping my system as un-taxed as possible, hoping to keep things easy on my liver-- lots of organic produce, adding lemon and/or ACV to my water, no processed foods, and I've switched almost exclusively to natural/non-toxic personal care products. I'm really hopeful. My symptoms came on late in both pregnancies, like a week or so before I was induced at 37 weeks both times, and that was with no attempt to prevent. So I'm hoping that being mindful of it ahead of time might make the difference for me... we'll see.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Barge from August/July.

I had a high risk thread on the main pregnancy board but it didn't get much traffic. I am in the high risk category and I am not loosing it anytime soon. If you like I can bump it up if you want to have a daily thread on it.

Good luck with your pregnancy!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
2boysmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm high risk. After my last baby was born I went into heart failure. I nearly died. I have no heart damage but I do have high blog pressure now. I got my bfp this morning and instantly freaked. This is my 4th baby, my kids need me, I cannot die! I need to call and make a doctors appointment to make a plan of action. They are saying they want to do a c-section to prevent my heart from getting stressed. I don't want that but I'm not sure if I should fight it or not. I guess we'll see how I am later in the pregnancy.

In with Jesus for over 20 years!
2boysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
ProudCoastieWife
Registered Users
Formerly: GrimLife
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boysmama View Post
I'm high risk. After my last baby was born I went into heart failure. I nearly died. I have no heart damage but I do have high blog pressure now. I got my bfp this morning and instantly freaked. This is my 4th baby, my kids need me, I cannot die! I need to call and make a doctors appointment to make a plan of action. They are saying they want to do a c-section to prevent my heart from getting stressed. I don't want that but I'm not sure if I should fight it or not. I guess we'll see how I am later in the pregnancy.
Praying for you both!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm joining the December board and I'm high risk too. I apparently like to to into preterm labor. I'm a nervous wreck after 2 early miscarriages and now pregnant again in a 8 month span.

The part that's freaking me out is that there is not a single Fetal Maternal/ high risk clinic that will take our insurance here in Houston. I'm stuck with a regular OB who "consults" a perinatologist. Our first was born at 30 weeks and our second very nearly born at 23 weeks. Our third kiddo was born 3 days late because of my awesome perinatology team in Seattle.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Kyonarai
Registered Users
seller

I'm guessing I'll be considered high risk because of the severe preecclampsia I had with cazzi, but I am eating much better this time around, so I hopefully won't have it this time.
Kyonarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyonarai
I'm guessing I'll be considered high risk because of the severe preecclampsia I had with cazzi, but I am eating much better this time around, so I hopefully won't have it this time.
I had pre-e with my last but it wasn't severe an as it was by 3rd and I didnt have it w my first two they Aren't too worried. They aren't sure if it had anything g to do w her having Trisomy 13. I was induced at 34 w5d It's not fun at all and I hope you don't get it again!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Sparklebug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my gosh, LesLee, I can't imagine how scary that must have been! Did you have heart problems before pregnancy, or was it just a freak thing?

Addicted2Chocolate-- I hope your doc ends up being wonderful, so sorry about the insurance issues, blah! We have pretty great insurance coverage technically, but I have little control over who I see (we have Kaiser) which is frustrating for me.

Kyonarai-- I had pre-e in my first pregnancy also (just right at the end, like immediately before they induced me), but didn't have it last time. Hoping you don't get it again!

AFM-- For my prenatal care I'll be seeing a midwife and planning a birth center birth until and unless my symptoms show up. We'll be monitoring carefully throughout my pregnancy and I'll transfer to hospital care if/when it becomes necessary, but I'm really hoping I'll stay healthy this time and be able to carry past 37 weeks. Here's hoping for healthy pregnancies for all of us!!