Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am donating the bulk of my freezer stash to a friends baby. I need to ship it from Florida to Texas and I want to make sure it gets there unthawed and for the best price. Any tips on packing or shipping it? I was thinking I need a styrofoam cooler and dry ice? What carrier is best, UPS?

PS It is about 400ish oz frozen in Lansinoh bags.

Advertisement

Last edited by juliasmom; 04-20-2013 at 08:30 AM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
greenmamabecky
Registered Users
seller

Re: How to ship frozen BM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
I am donating the bulk of my freezer stash to a friends baby. I need to ship it from Florida to Texas and I want to make sure it gets there unthawed and for the best price. Any tips on packing or shipping it? I was thinking I need a styrofoam cooler and dry ice? What carrier is best, UPS?

PS It is about 400ish oz frozen in Lansinoh bags.
Yes a styrofoam cooler in dry ice, and you need to overnight it. You also might want to think about stuffing newspaper in there too because if the bags are bouncing around too much they might break open or just pop a little hole. One of my local friends donated milk to me in those bags. I went and picked it up, and through the week I was using them a few had holes along the bottom so when I was soaking them in warm water to defrost, the milk would leak into the water and the water would mix into the bag of milk when it started to melt and then it was all ruined.
greenmamabecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
greenmamabecky
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy Re: How to ship frozen BM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamabecky View Post
Yes a styrofoam cooler in dry ice, and you need to overnight it. You also might want to think about stuffing newspaper in there too because if the bags are bouncing around too much they might break open or just pop a little hole. One of my local friends donated milk to me in those bags. I went and picked it up, and through the week I was using them a few had holes along the bottom so when I was soaking them in warm water to defrost, the milk would leak into the water and the water would mix into the bag of milk when it started to melt and then it was all ruined.
So I'm guessing they pop holes easily.
greenmamabecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I will definitely go the cooler and dry ice route. Hopefully not many will leak!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
ottomamma
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to say YOU ARE AWESOME for donating
ottomamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Jenyquintero17
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
Thanks! I will definitely go the cooler and dry ice route. Hopefully not many will leak!
What a blessing you are!!
I would suggest to your friend that when she is thawing them out to put the fozzen milk and bag insize of a ziplock bag that way if any milk does leak out then it just leaks out into the ziplock and you won't have to worry about the water getting mixed and ruining the milk during the thawing process. I hope it all works out!!
Jenyquintero17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenyquintero17 View Post

What a blessing you are!!
I would suggest to your friend that when she is thawing them out to put the fozzen milk and bag insize of a ziplock bag that way if any milk does leak out then it just leaks out into the ziplock and you won't have to worry about the water getting mixed and ruining the milk during the thawing process. I hope it all works out!!
Great idea! Thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamabecky

Exactly what she said. I've received milk from Washington, I'm in Georgia, in two days (really 1.5) shipped priority that was still frozen solid. Newspaper helps lots and make sure you shrink wrap or put the cooler in a box BC they break easily

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I bought a special cooler shipping box from Mr Box Online to ship about 300 oz with dry ice and newspaper. I used FedEx and shipped second day air, I think (it's been a while ).

I prayed that box of milk across the country, I'm telling you. I worried about it so much. But it arrived safe and sound!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I bought a special cooler shipping box from Mr Box Online to ship about 300 oz with dry ice and newspaper. I used FedEx and shipped second day air, I think (it's been a while ).

I prayed that box of milk across the country, I'm telling you. I worried about it so much. But it arrived safe and sound!
Oh thanks! It is really helpful to see the specs of the cooler you used to ship a similar quantity. I won't have time to order one but I will buy one similar to that. I plan to ship tomorrow.

ETA: I am sure both my friend who is receiving the box and I will both have a lot of worries when it is in transit! There is a lot of love in a box full of BM!

Last edited by juliasmom; 04-21-2013 at 10:36 AM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote