Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cross-posted WWYD work trip

I'm cross posting this because it is about work but also I think fits into the parenting section and I want a wide range of opinions.

My work has a yearly trip to a conference in July. This year was looking like it was going to be in Seattle so I said I would go (we have friends in Seattle with 2 LOs close to my sons' ages) and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to visit. The conference, travel, food are all paid for by work. Anyway, Seattle fell through and the conference is going to be in .....Vegas. Way less kid friendly and I don't know anyone there. So, now I'm worrying myself silly over what to do. Here are the options as I see them:

1. Say I won't go
Pros: Not a big deal to work if I do or don't go because we are sending one other person so we are "covered"

Cons: I desperately need credits for my bar membership (I have 0 this year) and I need them by August. I can get them here, but I will still probably need to do a multi-day conference to get so many credits (it will at least be in state, though) and my work won't pay for the credits so it will be a BIG personal expense to me.

2. Go with my mom and my kids
Pros: I don't have to spend 4 days away from my boys.

Cons: I am responsible for paying all the companion airfare (they obviously can share my accommodations) so, really pricey.

3. Go with DH and leave kids with my mom/dad and DH's mom/dad
Pros: I love spending one on one time with DH and it rarely happens.

Cons: I am so stressed that the boys won't handle having no parent around.

4. Go by myself, leave DH with kids (with my mom and his mom as big back-up).
Pros: Kids have a parent at home (not mom, but second best )

Cons: I'd be by myself and really miss my boys.

I really hate the idea of throwing away the opportunity to get enough credits for this year and most of next, but man, why Vegas?

So, if you read all of that, what would you do? Why?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cross-posted WWYD work trip

Just go alone. Book yourself a ticket to a great show, plan some shopping, visit a spa, & further your career.

DH and I have always traveled for our individual career needs alone. It's so valuable for us each to get an occasional few days alone with our children & also amazing for each of us to get a few days completely alone. You will miss them, but you will also get to reattach with yourself. It's great to show your children that it is important to not loose sight of who you are apart from them/DH. When they are adults they will need to focus on themselves too & understand it is important to do so.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your response. I did say to my DH, I just don't know what I would do with 4 whole days....and nothing to clean? Great suggestions.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

If you guys don't get a lot of couple time (our problem), I'd bring him. If you get plenty, then go alone. There is no way I'd bring kids to Vegas-not because I don't believe they would enjoy it, but that I wouldn't be able to!!! The worst day apart for me is always the second day, but the kids always do fantastic until the last day when the four year old knows we're coming home and then he's really cling for a week (which I love!). You can always skype.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would go alone, and spend my free time reading and site seeing. Is the co worker you are going with someone you would spend time with?

I would go with DH if I was 100% comfortable leaving the kids with my parents. Chances are, the kids will have fun being with grandma and only miss you at bedtime. It would be nice and fun to have some time away just you and DH.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Go with hubby. Vegas is terribly boring alone.

The kids will survive.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
vonnief
Registered Users
seller

I'm with pp's - either go by yourself or with DH. We also take our work trips alone most of the time. If you will get EC's during this trip that will be covered by work expenses, even more incentive to go. You will eventually have to get those credits, taking more time away from your family anyway AND your own money.

The kids will enjoy daddy/grandparent time and while they will miss you, it will also be fun for them to do something different. My DS always loves going out of town for the weekend to Grandma and Grandpa's house!
vonnief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would go alone or take hubby. I frequently have to travel for work. And I rarely take my son. It's super hard for me to focus on what I need to when he is there.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone for the replies! I was feeling like such a horrible mom for considering leaving them. But they do love my parents and in-laws and I guess if I sell it as a fun adventure, they probably will love it.

I do get along well with the co-worker and he is bringing his wife (and she and I get along very well -- we have play dates together, etc.) So, it would be great if DH and I could go together so I don't feel like a 3rd wheel.

Also, the co-worker is leaving his 2 (same age as my LOs) with his parents.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I go with DH in a heartbeat. Just make it seem like a special treat for the boys to stay with with the grandparents and they will love it.