Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
LuluBellDesigns
Registered Users
Formerly: lulubell17
seller

My Mood:
Selling products to local stores?

So I have a couple stores in my area who are now carrying cloth diapers and I wanted to contact them about possibly carrying my products. I am looking for advice on how to do this. If anyone has done this before I would love to get a general idea on how it works. I want to sound as professional as possible when I contact the stores. Some things I am wondering about are: how many items would they maybe want to carry at a time? How would pricing work? etc. TIA!

Advertisement

Cloth trainers in my Etsy shop!
LuluBellDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

Re: Selling products to local stores?

Following, I was thinking about the same thing around me!
sugardumplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
owen's mommy
Registered Users

I am also in a similar position. I was a vendor at a GCDC and two local businesses want to carry some of my stuff, sounds awesome, but now I have to figure out wholesale pricing. She mentioned something about 30%, I am not honestly sure if she wants to give me 30% of my retail price or take 30% off my current retail price. If they are proposing paying me only 30% of retail, I need to raise my retail price significantly.
owen's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
MamaDawn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm knitting stuff up now to do this, but it's not wholesale but consignment and it's hand made consignment so it's not like used clothing... we are doing 70/30 split (I keep 70%) and I am charging a little more there but I also have some more expenses with tags and shipping and all. I'm using business cards for tags and hand writing what pattern and other info about it on the card.

I would maybe just go in and see them and bring some of your diapers. Maybe some new and some that you have used to show how well they hold up.

Good luck mamas!

Hand Painted yarn by Fairy Tale Knits

Direct link to my current colorways
MamaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
LuluBellDesigns
Registered Users
Formerly: lulubell17
seller

My Mood:

I have an opportunity to be a vendor at a store in Atlanta (which is 2 hours away from me). I would have to pay $90 upfront for a 3 month period and I would have to pay 20% commission on top of that. I would have to sell 25 trainers in that 3 month period just to break even. I have no idea how well they would sell there, if at all. I just am scared of losing money.

Cloth trainers in my Etsy shop!
LuluBellDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Mom2Thr33
Registered Users
seller

I am in the same boat so I am following this thread and bumping it for you. I like the idea of taking new product along with old product to show how well it holds up. The 70/30 split sounds about right. The shop I spoke to recently mentioned this but I have not yet officially gone in with my stuff to "sell my wares".
Mom2Thr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Funky Birdie Boutique
Registered Users
Formerly: chefwendybird
seller

My Mood:

Just to throw this out, as I have been looking into offering wholesale-25% off (my retail pricing) has been standard going rate. HOWEVER, one resaler then turned around and jacked the asking price by over 29% (shockingly she's not moving much *insert head shake & shrug here*) SO I will think about working up a wholesale agreement with future resalers to avoid this type of thing. I don't know that I will really have a way to "reinforce" this once items are sold, but it really just rubbed me the wrong way and I will certainly not continue offering wholesale to folks who do this.

Baltic amber teething & healing jewelry
Come join us:
20% OFF FOR DS MAMAS ONLY, LIMITED TIME SPECIAL!!!!
Funky Birdie Boutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

but if they have your label and the customer doesnt like the price couldnt they just buy from you cheaper? lol
i wholesale with a few stores for various items. depending on the item i do 25-30%off retail
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops

Last edited by shortcake2386; 07-30-2013 at 09:52 PM.
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Birdie Boutique
Just to throw this out, as I have been looking into offering wholesale-25% off (my retail pricing) has been standard going rate. HOWEVER, one resaler then turned around and jacked the asking price by over 29% (shockingly she's not moving much *insert head shake & shrug here*) SO I will think about working up a wholesale agreement with future resalers to avoid this type of thing. I don't know that I will really have a way to "reinforce" this once items are sold, but it really just rubbed me the wrong way and I will certainly not continue offering wholesale to folks who do this.
Why does it matter? My guess is because expenses for stores is huge- with rent, insurance, electricity, etc. they need to cover cost and make a profit. Honestly, 25% is the minimum anyone would do and maybe break even, so my guess is this is why. It doesn't affect you- if anything g it benefits you because she is valuing your product and if you sell it cheaper, she will get your product out there and they will then buy from you.

Sent from my iPhone- forgive the craziness
Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
x403momx
Registered Users
seller

I've had a couple local hand made shops ask me if I'd be interested in having my items in their stores with the same consignment 30/70%.. I'm a little hesitant though. Most of my plushies are $15 on my etsy page... If I sell in the store would it be the same pricing? Or would I need to bump up my etsy pricing as well to make up for it?

Check out my etsy shop nerdsicles for tooth fairy pillows, aprons and magnets. For 15% off use coupon code: DSWAPPER
x403momx is offline   Reply With Quote