Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: What I learned from our local preschool for disabled kids....

I am with luvsviola on this one (a teacher as well). A marshmallow isn't a huge deal (or gummy bear or whatever). Unless a parent specifically requests no sugar, it's not a big deal (to me). What I do get annoyed with is when morbidly obese parent send their overweight child with ice cream every single day in her lunch. Yes, ice cream, daily. That bugs me. Other than that I am not bugged by much. I don't care if my girls get some treats. I know my girls get M&M's in their class for certain things. Even if they earn 10 M&M's throughout the day (which I don't think they do-my girls aren't THAT perfect lol), I'm okay with it. I especially would not judge in a special ed class. Colored marshmallows could be a kids "thing". If it helps, and isn't hurting them, then by all means, go for it. Now if the parents specifically requested no sugar, then I think they need to respect that.

ETA: And I truly don't believe one or two marshmallows is hurting a child. Some may, but I don't.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
mekat
Registered Users

A teacher can ask for snacks but that doesn't mean they will get them. Also some parent like me hate sending them because basically I am feeding everyone else's kid and not mine, shared costs aren't even on the radar since he is a 100% tube dependent.

Also keep in mind there are many levels of need in just one ese classroom that an outside observer is just not aware of everything feeding into the classroom decisions. Something that looks frivolous might be totally warranted given the child's medical, behavioral and educational history.

Maybe you are right but I can't tell you how many times I had a good laugh at someone that thought they could do it better without having all the information. If I know it won't upset my child too much I am even mean enough to let them try just for fits and giggles.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Honestly, most parents and teachers just don't care about a little sugar. I know mamas on this board are very anti-sugar But in mainstream America, most moms have different worries. A little sugar to gain compliance from an oppositional kid just isn't that uncommon.

For reference, this morning at the public school I teach at, breakfast was Cocoa Puffs cereal bar, chocolate milk, and an OJ. Lunch was pizza, nachos, spaghetti, or chicken nuggets with raw carrots, applesauce, jello, pineapple, and chocolate pudding (pick 2 sides).
Wow...cocoa puffs and chocolate milk at a public school breakfast!? That's absurd. Heck we don't eat super healthy here (I don't make cake with avocado frosting for birthdays) but any doofus must know that a kid shouldn't eat that for breakfast. I just ate a tastykake....lol.

2 m and ms at school isn't a huge deal to me, but that school food cannot be good for kids.

And yes, I have had kids in public school (for years, and our lunch menus didnt look anything that!) and have a 3 year old in the autism/SN class at the local public school. None of the snacks here would be allowed. It's usually crackers, goldfish, Cheerios, Cheezits etc. candy isn't allowed, and def. not choco milk or marshmallows.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This morning, the breakfast is a Otis Spunkmeyer blueberry muffin (some weeks we have chocolate), chocolate milk, and an OJ.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This morning, the breakfast is a Otis Spunkmeyer blueberry muffin (some weeks we have chocolate), chocolate milk, and an OJ.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I have been biting my tongue on this thread. A little sugar won't hurt kids. I have 9 of them. Sure, overall we eat a healthy balanced diet. BUT, I do buy cereal. Their current favorite is Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I also buy Honey Nut Cheerios. I buy them a half gallon of ice cream about every other week. They get cookies sometimes also. I have also been known to buy them GoGurt, but they eat Activia and Greek yogurt just as well.

My kids are not overweight, 2 are underweight actually. They are active an healthy, except for my 20 montj olds GI issues. They also eat Brussels sprouts, asparagus, broccoli and anything else I cook. They are good eaters and don't snub fruits and veggies for sugary stuff. My little ones will snack on fruit as much as crackers and such.

The reality is what you are describing IS a pretty normal American diet. My dh refuses to eat Ramen because ad poor college kids we are way too much of it. When he is traveling we will get a thing or two and my older ones and i share it because there is something about those salty noodles! Lol!

I also buy cases of cokes sometimes if they are on sale. I allows older ones one a day until they are gone. But, we keep milk, juice an water also. They are not, horrible out of control kids that are hopped up on sugar. I am not a horrible mom for buying that stuff.

I feel we are teaching them "real world" eating and how to make balanced choices.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #17
drabekgirl
Registered Users

shoot our school gives the kids chocolate banana bread for breakfast, the whole health food served at school is not even on the radar for breakfasts. And due to the hunger of the children who eat only school's healthy choice lunches they will now allow 2nds. They had stopped allowing 2nds but do you know how much food a growing teenager on sports teams really needs to keep himself fueled yeah apparently neither did the government. And no my children don't get to buy school lunches.

If you do a side-by-side comparison on jelly beans vs fruit snacks you'll discover that jelly beans are a healthier choice. And yet my son's old school jelly beans weren't allowed but fruit snacks were.

I think you are right to say that they should not have said it was a healthy school program.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #18
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have no problem with candy as treats in class. Esp for kids with special needs.

I do think the food choices are more iffy, but that is how public schools work - they really are trying to get better though and I noticed our old school was way better compared to a few years ago.

I'm with the balanced diet too....have no problem with cookies, candy.....I'm kinda strict with cereal but still do a "fun" cereal now and then.

Honestly it's all the hidden sugar that kills me. Like in pasta sauce, yogurts, granola bars. You think you are giving a good food and bam....you read the label and realize you aren't.

Washing the hands is a no no. I've observed all kids washing before snack as the norm.