Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
homeschoolkitty
Registered Users
seller

Angry upper 30s or almost 40, or 40+ and pregnant

I remember the first time I was pregnant and the OB said, well there are risks you are not your regular 22 year old having kids.

I am not 22, I have not been for over a 15 yrs! Though I recent the comment, I envy the 22 yr olds pregnant, with all the energy they must have (looking from the outside of course) as they are so young.

There ARE issues of being pregnant and almost 40. Your body is just not the same as it used to be. Sometimes I think that the being a "responsible" adult and waiting to be settle to have children is just cheating a bunch of older females like me.

If I am asked, and I do get asked as I am having babies like if I were a 22 yr old. I tell them that I wished some mother had told me that life will go on, that having or not having money would make no difference on how you love a kid. I wished that I were younger so I would have the energy to chase them around, play with them on the floor and answer the milliion questions that they have.

On the other hand I see that if I don't take care of myself (take my vits and iron) I don't have energy.

What are the issues you face? including the faces of the people looking at you thinking you are running a daycare! because you just look too old to be their mom not quite too old to be thier mom...
Inner mind issues?
energy issues?
walking issues? LOL, sometimes taking the stroller is just so I have the walking support! ha.

God bless you all,

K

Advertisement

homeschoolkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
momof7
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: upper 30s or almost 40, or 40+ and pregnant

I had my son when I was 40. I already had 6 kiddos so he was #7. I didn't feel any different having a baby at 40 than when I had my oldest at 18. I would do it again! He has been such a blessing to our family. I have had people ask me if he was my grandson. He's 10 now & what a fun journey we are having.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
BinahYeteirah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do people really think 40ish moms look too old to be the mothers of their young kids? I'm not so close to forty yet, but I'm well into my mid-thirties and I'm not worried about any of those things. I do feel a bit more run down now than when I was having babies in my twenties, but I see that as a product of taking care of five kids and getting precious little sleep for years now, not my age. My pregnancies aren't any more difficult now than they were when I was twenty-two.

Having said all that, I did choose to start having kids earlier in life for many reasons. I think waiting too long in the interest of being "settled" does put a couple at greater risk of experiencing infertility. Raising my kids is the greatest joy of my life, so I'm glad we didn't put it off.
BinahYeteirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am 38 and pregnant with twins who will be Los #4 and #5 for us. These are our last.
I am definitely waaaay more tired and low energy with this pregnancy than my first at 29. However, my OB says that is more related to carrying twins and raising three others at the same time than my age. I tend to agree. I don't find parenting and life, really, any more difficult or exhausting at 38 than 28.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DP
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am 36 and about to have #2 take home (#5 child born alive). My son was conceived when I was 30 though. So he was on ice for about 5 years (5 years 4 months to be exact).

Once you are pregnant, you are not facing anything more then a normal pregnancy. Physically your body is the same. I am in menopause and have been for 3 years (roughly) and I can still do everything I could do with #1 take home baby. I am being monitored more because of my history of cancer more then because of my age.

Getting to the conception can be tricky. Eggs are not like how they used to be in a woman's body. Sadly they just are not. You are at risk for downs and a few other conditions. However none of the risks can't be overcome. Even me with no more frozen embryos and in menopause, I can go back and get donor eggs, or donor embryos and have another child... provided my doctors think my uterus is up for it and I stay cancer free.

Please don't be scared off by the "big 40". My father has me (36) and then my youngest sibling is 9 years old. He is 58. If he can do it. ANYONE can do it. I would even say that he is a better father to my younger siblings then he was to me.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I had number one at 38 and number 2 at 41. I was tired (still am LOL) but have nothing to compare it to
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I definately had more energy at 22 than at 38, but I only had one child verses 4 then. I also did not have fibromyalgia or osteo arthritis then either. I do not look amost 40, so people are usually shocked when I say my oldest is almost 16...LOL!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah View Post
Do people really think 40ish moms look too old to be the mothers of their young kids? I'm not so close to forty yet, but I'm well into my mid-thirties and I'm not worried about any of those things. I do feel a bit more run down now than when I was having babies in my twenties, but I see that as a product of taking care of five kids and getting precious little sleep for years now, not my age. My pregnancies aren't any more difficult now than they were when I was twenty-two.

Having said all that, I did choose to start having kids earlier in life for many reasons. I think waiting too long in the interest of being "settled" does put a couple at greater risk of experiencing infertility. Raising my kids is the greatest joy of my life, so I'm glad we didn't put it off.
Unfortunately, yes, sometimes. At least where I live, lots of ladies are grannies by the time they're 35 or 36. My mom had me at 23 & was a borderline "older" mom. There are people I went to school with, whom I run into occasionally; they're looking at colleges with their oldest. Many have tweens & young teens. I was 31 when DD was born; I'll be 35 for this one. TBH, yes, I wish I had more energy, but I wouldn't have done it any other way...the financial security, a relationship that was solid both before & after kids, having developed a sense of who I am, what I value, and where I'm going...I wouldn't have had that if I had started young, and it works for me. That's not commentary on anybody else, just that I'm a bit nutty & I'm glad I had matured as a person before I needed to be a mom.

Now, of course, I know that the area where I grew up & continue to live has very high rates of teen pregnancy, poverty, severe health problems & all kinds of other things that aren't applicable in other communities, but I just wanted to comment that, yes, in some places, a 40 y.o. mom of littles gets some funny "Is she the mom or the grandma?" looks.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At 35, One of my gfs was the director of development for a major arts organization, finished her MBA and had a baby. She had her second at 38. She's as energetic as any 22 year old I know!

At 36, another friend finished her MA at Georgetown, had her third baby and then moved her family to Beijing.

You may not have the "energy" of a twenty year old, but in your 30s and 40s, you have drive and focus. I think those are more important than youth.

Last edited by NotLad; 04-15-2013 at 07:27 AM.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote