Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Small house fire, anyone had one?

Hey all,
I don't normally post in this forum, but I thought I might reach someone who has been through this before? We had a small house fire on Easter morning. It wasn't big and we all got out safe, but our house is currently unliveable. Thankfully, we had good insurance and are covered quite well. However, I am quite concerned with the chemicals that they are using on our stuff. The fogger they used to dissapate the smoke smell in the house had a strong chemical smell, and it got over everything. Then workers went through and cleaned everything by hand. However, I know they can't clean the internal parts of the kids mattresses and the couches, etc. The insurance company would rather clean than buy new, I understand that, but the "unseen" worries me. Has anyone else had to deal with this, what did you do?

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, we did last year and you really have to push for what you want! If you're worried about the lasting smells and chemicals I would ask to talk to someone about this and what their long term solution is! I was told by our rep that we had a great policy and had replacement value rather then a reduced value and such, until it came to our pay out. I sell Tupperware and lost 5 YEARS of collected and earned items. Thousand of dollars! They nit-picked and reduced everything down to practically nothing! It was horrible! I was really upset in the end. We ended up moving because it was so stressful dealing with the landlord and they're trying to pay the least out of pocket and their insurance ended up blaming US for the fire! Our insurance settled on 50% which I was pissed about. It wasn't 50% out fault and now that's forever on our insurance. And once it gets to litigation, you have no say! Your insurance company is representing/protecting themselves NOT you! Remember that!!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks...I think that's what I'm worried about most. We live a pretty "natural" lifestyle, I guess I would say. Just finished building our house last August, and because of faulty insulation installation had this fire. I doubt that insurance will worry much about our previous lifestyle when looking at the fire, even though we had replacement I don't know how I'll be able to make the claim that just because it looks ok it could still harm us. And, I don't want to be a prima Donna about it, but it is my kids health! So anyway, thank you
Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
beckyc
Registered Users

Re: Small house fire, anyone had one?

That's such a troubling situation. Do you know a lawyer or some one good with the laws to help you out here. It looks like you need to fight for every little thing here if you want to get 'clean things' back in your house. Being natural about many things myself, I would have preferred the smoky smell than the chemical one!

If its on mattresses, I wouldnt bother fighting much and just go buy used/new, since a mattress would be a basic need. Maybe sun/air out the smelly ones and sell them on CG to make up for the money?
beckyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyc
That's such a troubling situation. Do you know a lawyer or some one good with the laws to help you out here. It looks like you need to fight for every little thing here if you want to get 'clean things' back in your house. Being natural about many things myself, I would have preferred the smoky smell than the chemical one!

If its on mattresses, I wouldnt bother fighting much and just go buy used/new, since a mattress would be a basic need. Maybe sun/air out the smelly ones and sell them on CG to make up for the money?
The smoky smell vs chemical smell is exactly my feeling on it! They are being professionally cleaned, so maybe the smell will go away? But even so, they can't clean the insides, and mattresses are porous, so ...
The restoration people just tell me to wait until they are cleaned and then see what I think. I'm just trying to get other points of view/thoughts in the meantime.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our friend had a house fire , kinda like you, house was ok but stuff was damaged, they replaced almost everything, I would really voice my desire to replace things that I was not comfortable with. Also ask for a copy of you policy, I know we pay good $$$$ for replacement value, I too wouldn't want "kinda cleaned" as replacement, either way it still counts against you so go for the replacement

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I would not be ok with them just cleaning a mattress. That chemical stuff would get down inside it and never dissipate fully, and then you're going to sleep on it for 6-12 hours a night breathing that crap in? Heck no. I'd insist on new. Many other things I might be ok with just cleaning, but not something like a mattress. You can't ever thoroughly clean them.

My parents had a grease fire in the kitchen when I was a child, and they raved about the insurance company. She got most of a new kitchen out of it, they replaced the window that cracked, painted the kitchen and living room (the two rooms with smoke damage), replaced the carpet in the living room that was burnt when the pot was carried to the back door dripping. Every insurance company is different, some will bend over backwards for you, some will niggle on every little detail. Fight for what you feel you're entitled to!
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote