Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not able to keep up

I need some advice. I'm having trouble keeping up with diaper laundry during the week when I work. I often work 3 days in a row, 12 hour shifts. How do you all make it work?

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
tomandkara
Registered Users
seller

Re: Not able to keep up

Now that my son is potty training, every other day I do a quick cycle with just a splash of detergent and spin out on high and then keep all the diapers in a wash basin and do a full load once a week. Maybe something like that would work for you? You could just do a rinse cycle every day when you get home from work and then do a full load the day after your shifts end?
Find me on facebook and Hyena Cart to see my custom-dyed wool interlock, hybrid fitted diapers, and children's clothes! I stock Thursdays at 9:00 p.m. EST!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If I were on your schedule, I'd either enlist help from someone else (have Your husband wash them once a week for instance) , and I'd make sure I had a pretty big stash to give myself some leeway with the laundry.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Its not as much the washing as the stuffing. The quick wash daily idea might work, we have a fairly large stash (2 in diapers, mainly pockets stuffed with bamboo and/or hemp, or prefolds).
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
kirst
Registered Users
seller

I am finding the same thing. Luckily, I have 8 NIP pockets that I had been saving and I'm going to wash them and put them into circulation. This way, I will have 25 pockets for daycare and can keep my fitteds and AIOs for home/ diaper bag ... I can wash mid week but not stuff until Sunday. I'm also going to deliver all 25 pockets to dc on Mondays and just bring home dirties each evening... Just to minimize what I'm packing back and forth all week. My life is a sh$7 show right now. I'm quickly getting swamped.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
vivid
Registered Users
seller

I am working shift work and 12s too. Stuffing pockets and folding flats was killing me. So I bought 24 prefolds to use on my work days trifolded in covers. No stuffing, no pre folding necessary (my caregivers can trifold and put the prefold in a cover). I now use my flats on my days off and mostly fold as I go or fold at nap time. I am about to sell my pockets. They just don't fit our lifestyle.
vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
blondeviolin
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd buy more inexpensive pockets (maybe check out some co-ops on Facebook?) and then wash regularly, but have one big stuff and put away day.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin
I'd buy more inexpensive pockets (maybe check out some co-ops on Facebook?) and then wash regularly, but have one big stuff and put away day.
We have about 60 pockets, I can make it through the 3 work days (have a few g-diapers that I stuff with prefolds also) but then it takes two loads to wash it all. Think I'm going to try to wash mid week this week and enlist either my 2 older kids or my babysitter to help stuff and see how that works. If I wait until my day off to stuff everything it ends up taking forever and this week we are going to the zoo with my daughters class (always lots going on on my days off).
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23
Its not as much the washing as the stuffing. The quick wash daily idea might work, we have a fairly large stash (2 in diapers, mainly pockets stuffed with bamboo and/or hemp, or prefolds).
Could you skip stuffing and just lay the inserts on top, since it sounds like you have natural fiber inserts? Won't work though if your little ones need the stay dry, just a thought. I used to work 3 12s so I feel your pain. It's tough fitting life into that schedule.
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff

Could you skip stuffing and just lay the inserts on top, since it sounds like you have natural fiber inserts? Won't work though if your little ones need the stay dry, just a thought. I used to work 3 12s so I feel your pain. It's tough fitting life into that schedule.
This might be worth a try! I'm home tomorrow so I'll see if it works for both of them.