Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
MommaMal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We didn't use a kit. At around 6 months I started using the sign and word when I asked L a question. She now knows: milk, diaper, eat, more, water, dog, bird, yes, no, baby, and kitty.
She is also able to say the words verbally as well but that's only been the last couple months.

Advertisement

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."-Janis Joplin
MommaMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone do Baby Sign Language?

We also had no kit and like previous posters just started doing a few signs and our DS picked right up on them. More, Please and Milk were the most helpful ones around here.

I also got a couple of sign books for him- one is a board book, pretty generic baby sign thing, and the other is "Sesame Street Sign Language ABC with Linda Bovee". The sesame street one has been really great because it has the characters that he loves, plus all of the letters and several words. My son is 3 now and knows several word signs plus the whole alphabet and can finger spell his name. I will say that it is signed english rather than true ASL (ASL has a different sentence structure than English), but that works fine for our purposes right now.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
darci
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone do Baby Sign Language?

I liked the Signing Time dvds. My DD signed "more", "milk", "please", "eat", maybe a few others. It was great to know what she wanted before she could talk. Now she's talking all the time.
darci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
pinktoes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
ASL is a different sentence structure and sequence than English. The signs are also less intuitive and graphic/obvious to laypersons.

If you want baby to be able to be fluent in ASL when older, that's fine.

If you are looking for a way to effectively communicate before Baby has the oral motor skill for speech, baby sign is just fine.

Also, when teaching, create communication temptations. Blow bubbles. Then show " more". Help Baby do "more" then blow more bubbles. Do the same with milk, blueberries, anything.
pinktoes is offline   Reply With Quote