Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #21
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Preschool or not to Preschool - That is the question

None of my kids went (or will be going) to preschool. By and large I think they are mostly there for families who cannot be home with their little ones and I personally don't see much value to them outside of that.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
None of my kids went (or will be going) to preschool. By and large I think they are mostly there for families who cannot be home with their little ones and I personally don't see much value to them outside of that.
They can be extremely beneficial for special needs and at risk children as well. I've seen kids in preschool from very sad home situations who wouldn't have had exposure to literacy or many academic concepts without them.

Its also done wonders for my extremely shy niece to improve her social skills as well. Its certainly not necessary in all situations but does have benefits outside of daycare.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally believe the best socialization of a child is by mom, learning to love and care for siblings, play and speak kindly with coaching by mom, learning life skills and basic educational things from mom, etc-- not by being in a room full of foolish same-aged peers.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
They can be extremely beneficial for special needs and at risk children as well. I've seen kids in preschool from very sad home situations who wouldn't have had exposure to literacy or many academic concepts without them.

Its also done wonders for my extremely shy niece to improve her social skills as well. Its certainly not necessary in all situations but does have benefits outside of daycare.
I know some people will disagree with me which is totally fine, different strokes for different fokes.

I think in the majority of situations a special needs kiddo is best off in their own home with EI, or other in home services. I know that isn't always possible, in that case I would do private services (if finances were available), or bring the child to the school for services without him attending school there. Of course each family has to choose what is best for them and I am not judging those who do or would choose differently than me.

As far as academics are concerned, I think the best environment for preschoolers to learn is with the parents. It's true that not all parents are invested in teaching their children, but even so I don't think learning the alphabet at age three or four provides any long lasting benefits over learning it at five or six. I don't think learning eariler equals better and any child that does not attend preschool or learn at home can easily catch up later.

As for socialization, I tend to disagree there too. I don't think that's a great or natural environment for kids to learn in, not to mention there is so much more to socializing than just learning how to interact with people your age. In the world kids learn to interact with people of all ages--yes interacting with peers but also with those older and younger as well. You don't get much opportunity to do that in a preschool setting. And my son was painfully shy at age four, and without preschool he overcame that and is now quite a little social butterfly at age six. (No kindergarten either, we homeschool)

So *personally* I don't see the value in it if you are willing and/or able to be at home with your children.

Last edited by jen_batten; 04-22-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

I know some people will disagreed with me which is totally fine, different strokes for different fokes.

I think in the majority of situations a special needs kiddo is best off in their own home with EI, or other in home services. I know that isn't always possible, in that case I would do private services (if finances were available), or bring the child to the school for services without him attending school there. Of course each family has to choose what is best for them and I am not judging those who do or would choose differently than me.

As far as academics are concerned, I think the best environment for preschoolers to learn is with the parents. It's true that not all parents are invested in teaching their children, but even so I don't think learning the alphabet at age three or four provides any long lasting benefits over learning it at five or six. I don't think learning eariler equals better and any child that does not attend preschool or learn at home can easily catch up later.

As for socialization, I tend to disagree there too. I don't think that's a great or natural environment for kids to learn in, not to mention there is so much more to socializing than just learning how to interact with people your age. In the world kids learn to interact with people of all ages--yes interacting with peers but also with those older and younger as well. You don't get much opportunity to do that in a preschool setting. And my son was painfully shy at age four, and without preschool he overcame that and is now quite a little social butterfly at age six. (No kindergarten either, we homeschool)

So *personally* I don't see the value in it if you are willing and/or able to be at home with your children.
I get that, and for loving, attentive parents in an environment where children are nurtured and cared for I would agree. But by academics I mean a lot more than ABCs, and working in education I can tell you it is a big deal for some of these kids to catch up because there are so many things stacked against them. Some of these kids are truly, and unfortunately, much better off in preschool than at home, and it makes me sad.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #26
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All 4 of my children have gone to preschool. All started at age 2. It was for their benefit hands down. The met new kids, had to listen to other adults, and learned in a different setting.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

A lot of people have given great advice. I was in your spot a couple of months ago. I had to decide whether or not to send my son to preschool in the fall. I decided it would be best for him and me. He gets to go to school and be the big kid while I get to spend some one on one time with the new baby.

If you can afford it, I say definitely send him. If its a stretch, don't break the bank to send him. It is not 100% necessary, but I think you will find that he will benefit from it. He will actually probably love it.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #28
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I know some people will disagreed with me which is totally fine, different strokes for different fokes.

Yep, totally disagree. My kids learn much better with someone else as their teacher. They listen better, they learn better, and are more eager to learn when it is someone besides me. I would be doing a disservice to my children if I tried to teach them.

There are values even if you can't see them even with a parent who is willing to be at home. I'm still at home with them, even though they go to preschool and to school outside of the home. They have met and became friends with many more kids than they would have if they were taught at home. They learn to listen to other adult/teach type figures and respect them. They learn different things and in different ways.

My youngest has a severe speech delay and it was for sure in his best interest to attend preschool with other kids his age so he could see and learn to talk from them. He also was in a classroom with a speech pathologist all 4 of the days he attends preschool per week. He would not have a speech pathologist at home with me for 3 hours a day/4 days a week.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #29
ggill
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVeryHappyMama View Post
In my town I found a couple "tutelage model" options for homeschoolers starting at preschool age. So my son goes one morning a week. In the afternoon after he gets home we play with activities from MFW Preschool cards or Williamson Little Hands books. The rest of the week we homeschool preschool using level 4 of this curriculum. Starting in the fall he'll move up to the prek class, which meets one full day a week. He'll be on the final level of the curriculum I previously linked the rest of the week.
I wish I had that option!

My DS1 is 4 and I will most likely be keeping him home. All the PS and K programs around here are long. He would have to attend 4-5 days a week and in K 5 days all day. I just dont think he needs that much time in school at his age, so for now the plan is HS for PS and K. He is in an awesome reading program, we do church weekly, YMCA activities, ect. I have no worries about his socialization and he is on target or above academically according to his Parent Partner (reading program), though I don't worry about that either...If we couldn't afford PS, I wouldn't send him. I don't think PS will make or break the average kiddo. Good luck on your decision!

And one en-route via the red thread
http://speelmanhome.wordpress.com/
ggill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I get that, and for loving, attentive parents in an environment where children are nurtured and cared for I would agree. But by academics I mean a lot more than ABCs, and working in education I can tell you it is a big deal for some of these kids to catch up because there are so many things stacked against them. Some of these kids are truly, and unfortunately, much better off in preschool than at home, and it makes me sad.
I really feel for those children. In that instance I would say it isn't so much that preschool is the benefit for them--being in any environment away from the parents is! Which is terribly sad. So I guess it would benefit them, but so would many other environments.

I do think it is probably a good choice for some families, but if a child has a loving involved parent at home I think that is usually the best place for them to be.

It's also true that as a homeschooler I'm probably terribly biased. But it saddens me how many loving moms feel like they NEED to send their child to preschool because the mom doesn't think she cannot provide what the child needs. I think it's a sad myth of our current culture.