Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Users
18% duty on cloth diapers

Hey folks! Apologies in advance for the long post and PSA.

As some of you already know, cloth diapers here in Canada tend to be priced a lot higher than in the US. The reason for this is because there is a 12-18% tariff on almost all imported cloth diapers. Now, generally speaking you won't get hit with this tariff if you have stuff shipped with USPS/Canada Post (not sure why - probably laziness on the border guys' end!), but if you have something shipped via courier, you'll definitely get hit with that duty charge as they assess things correctly. It's also the reason why MSRPs are so much higher here.

Back in March, the new federal budget was announced, and in it they mentioned that the 18% tariff on baby clothing would be removed beginning Apr 1. You can read all of the nitty-gritty here:

I was thrilled as I assumed it meant cloth diapers would be covered as well, but unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case. I believe this was because cloth diapers were recently moved out of the baby clothing category and into a general "diaper" category (which also includes disposables) in the customs tariff document. So it may have just been missed, or maybe they don't consider cloth diapers to be "clothing", which they definitely are - it's basically just underwear with extra absorbency!

I've already been in touch with the Department of Finance, and although they mentioned that they would forward my complaint to the appropriate department, I haven't heard anything for a few weeks. I think the only way to convince them to do anything is if they hear more people complaining.

So... if you have some time, take 5 minutes and shoot off a quick email to the folks at the Department of Finance at telling them you want the 18% duty eliminated from cloth diapers. I'd much rather support my local retailer if they can offer prices comparable to the US, versus trying to find someone in the US who will ship up here.

justinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 18% duty on cloth diapers

Just sent them an email Thanks for sharing!
Aussie married to .... Mama to two beautiful girls and My six month old Angel Jacob who grew his wings]
Welcoming baby Jan 2013
maliroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: 18% duty on cloth diapers

What about starting an online petition for this and sharing throughout the cloth diapering community? I suspect that would result in a bigges statement being made?
Amberbamber5 is offline   Reply With Quote