Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Lostand
Registered Users
seller

Help please!

It has been 3 months I've been battling with rash issues.

I sold all of my microfiber and stay dry AIO collection and purchased a few swaddlebees and BGE for the diaper bag, but now use prefolds and wool and receiving blankets and covers at home. I use sbish fitteds and wool at night.

I do one hot wash no detergent, then one hot wash with 4 scoops of eco sprout, then another hot wash no detergent. I have a top loader and all of the washes are done on the heavy duty setting which lasts 80 min!!! I put it on the setting with the most water as well and I wash every other day.
He still gets what looks like ammonia burn. But his dipes are so pretty any white and have no smell whatsoever even after he pees :/ idk what to do Any more!!

I notice sometimes when I wipe him in the morning (cloth wipes wetted with water) that some skin rubs off. Do you think his skin could be getting too saturated at night causing the rash,chaffing?? Maybe I should change him half way through the night? He is 7 mos.

I feel so terrible for him!!

Advertisement

Lostand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Reese62299
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help please!

Wow, sounds exactly like my wash routine. I do the same thing but I use soap nuts and on the second wash use some vinegar too. Have you tried switching detergents?? Is the rash better/different since you've stopped using the stay dry?
Reese62299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Reese62299
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And I don't think it would be Ammonia burn, especially with no smell, has a yeast infection been ruled out??
Reese62299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
flylady0505
Registered Users
seller

Are you rinsing out your diapers after each diaper change.
flylady0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
fluffycheeks
Registered Users
seller

It may not be a washing issue. It sounds like all of your diapered are natural fibers? Maybe he doesn't do well with the wetness. Perhaps he'd do we'll with a stay dry liner, did he have the rash when he was in that?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
flylady0505
Registered Users
seller

Sounds like he is in a wet diaper to long think about yourself being in wet underwear all night long our skin would chaff really bad you can try monistat anti chaffing gel that is the only thing that keeps redness away from my son. If you think about it all all the diapers you have are all natural fibers so he is constantly just feeling wet no time for the poor boy to feel dry.
flylady0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Nattiecake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second the stay dry liner. Maybe his skin doesn't like being wet.

+ + + + + my boutique baby shop
Nattiecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostand View Post
It has been 3 months I've been battling with rash issues.

I sold all of my microfiber and stay dry AIO collection and purchased a few swaddlebees and BGE for the diaper bag, but now use prefolds and wool and receiving blankets and covers at home. I use sbish fitteds and wool at night.

I do one hot wash no detergent, then one hot wash with 4 scoops of eco sprout, then another hot wash no detergent. I have a top loader and all of the washes are done on the heavy duty setting which lasts 80 min!!! I put it on the setting with the most water as well and I wash every other day.
He still gets what looks like ammonia burn. But his dipes are so pretty any white and have no smell whatsoever even after he pees :/ idk what to do Any more!!

I notice sometimes when I wipe him in the morning (cloth wipes wetted with water) that some skin rubs off. Do you think his skin could be getting too saturated at night causing the rash,chaffing?? Maybe I should change him half way through the night? He is 7 mos.

I feel so terrible for him!!
I think your wash routine sounds fine. I doubt that its form the diapers since you say there is no smell. My question for you is why did you get rid of all the diapers with stay dry fabric? Was he reacting to them? Were they getting stinkies?

It does sound like he has a severe wetness sensitivity. Is the rash in the morning or all through the day? When is the rash at its peak?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
MamaButtercup
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to start adding stay dry liners when my little one started getting a rash in the first couple of weeks, and it would come back VERY rarely, a lot like what you're describing with the peeling, (only on the extreme inner thigh.) Do you have any fleece lying around that you could cut up? That's what I did, rather than paying a buck a piece for liners... Also, I used 100% pure lanolin on him sometimes as a moisture barrier. I just use a fleece liner when I do it to prevent buildup, but even if it got on your diapers, it strips out VERY easily! (blue dawn worked great, or you could use heat as well.) Hope you find the answer for your sweet boy!
MamaButtercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Lostand
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I got rid if microfiber and stay dry because they kept getting stinky!! And he was getting a MUCH worse rash with those!
Lostand is offline   Reply With Quote