Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I'm gonna be the mean parent I guess, I will supply for my child and some general classroom stuff. I'm sorry there are parents that can't buy their own pencils and whatnot, but we have two kids to raise ourselves and we budget like crazy to make ends meet. I simply can't afford to raise other peoples kids.

I wouldn't have sent in a box after the first one. One child does not go through 20 pencils in a year.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can a teacher chime in here? 6 boxes of 20 pencils from every student (but I know not everyone sends) in say a 25 student class is three thousand pencils. Kids really lose 3000 pencils in a year?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Class of woodchucks!! Mean Parent?

When are kids expected to be responsible for their own supplies? My dd is 5 and she has a box of supplies I bought her at the beginning of school and I have only replaced crayons once because ds got them (she uses this at home). It is her responsibility to put them up when she is done and I expect the same when she starts kindy next year.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Angel89411
Banned

I kind of expected such things to happen so I grabbed things as they came on sale through out August and I grabbed some stuff on clearance at Target after school started then sent it in.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Yeah, at the start of the year, stocking up isn't so bad when things are really cheap. But when you have to keep buying at regular price, it adds up quick!

I am sure they easily go through a box of pencils a year. In first grade they are just learning to write, break the pencils, over sharpen them, etc. But SIX boxes?! Seems extreme to me. If there are kids who's parents can't afford to send in supplies, I don't mind helping out...but ask me, don't make it like my kid is using all these supplies and assume that I am in a position to help out.

A simple: "A donation of XYZ would be appreciated to be distributed amidst children in need within our class" or something to that affect.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have students in my class who don't have a pencil 4 days out of 5 in my class. I am not joking. Other kids can keep track, but some cannot. (I teach 2nd Grade). I always ask students to check for lost pencils on the floor at the end of the day, because if they are still on the floor when the custodian comes, they are swept up and tossed. We generally pick up 5-6 pencils at the end of the day that get tossed into the pencil basket.

I would say that my class likely goes through more than 200 pencils a year (that's 10 per student). It is much likely closer to 300. Also, remember that when there is a request for supplies, I find that less than 50% of people respond. It is unlikely that the teacher is really in need of 3000 pencils. Kleenex on the other hand... I will have used more than 50 boxes this year!
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never heard of pooling supplies. It just makes no sense to me. Even in first grade I could manage my own crayons.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

always, always buy extras when they are on sale. they will be asking for more. here they give you a big list in the beginning of year (tissues,wipes,baggies,pens,penicls,crayons,ect.) never had to buy any of this when we were kids and don't they get more $$ fo rthe schools now? Anyway........ some parents can't/don't buy them and yes they do go through them so need extras so it's best to buy extras and if the school doesn't need them you have a stash for home use
Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our school budget next year is $5 per student for supplies. We are supposed to supply all folders, workbooks, glue, crayons, markers, pencils, erasers, scissors and all art supplies for $5 a student. It just can't happen, and it makes us really happy when parents send in supplies for their own kids and the "pool".
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #20
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, we haven't been asked to replace pencils....in face ODS sent home his box saying they had enough.

We were asked to replace glue sticks, crayons, dry erase markers always for the older grades, baby wipes, Clorox wipes.

Our new school the supplies are included in the registration fees(which is higher than previous school at $177 for 3rd grade, $150 ish for 1st grade), so not sure if they ask for any supplies through the year.