Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #21
Lousli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Class of woodchucks!! Mean Parent?

My class goes through tons of pencils. I'd say about 2 per month per child, so with 21 children in my class, that's about 42 a month, give or take a little. That's 378 pencils in a school year, not counting ones that get broken, sharpened into tiny nubs, accidentally placed in backpacks, taken to other rooms in the school and left there...yeah.

As far as pooling supplies, I don't know how other schools are set up in the lower grades, but in my classroom (2/3) we don't have a separate desk or even an assigned seat for each child. The tables and grouping are fluid throughout the year. Children do have cubbies, but they don't keep them very organized even though we clean them every Friday. Short of labeling every single pencil with each child's name, there is no way to keep track of all of their supplies. If I had to label all of those pencils, and all the markers, crayons, colored pencils, glue bottles, and glue sticks, I don't think I'd have any time left over to teach the kids!

I fully understand not wanting to supply the entire class with pencil or other supplies, but it absolutely true that all (or even most) of the parents don't respond to requests for more materials. Almost all of my families bring supplies in at the beginning of the year, but once we go through them, I have about 6-7 families that are the ones that help out over and over. They drive on field trip, bring extra supplies, volunteer in the classroom, offer to take home things to work on or towels for washing, etc.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
When are kids expected to be responsible for their own supplies? My dd is 5 and she has a box of supplies I bought her at the beginning of school and I have only replaced crayons once because ds got them (she uses this at home). It is her responsibility to put them up when she is done and I expect the same when she starts kindy next year.
This. I homeschool, so kinda a moot point for me, but I teach my children to be responsible for their belongings. Pooling bothers me because some children are not responsible and it should not be my issue if a kid keeps losing or breaking his stuff if it isn't my kid. It should be that parent's pocketbook, not mine. Responsibility is important to me anyway, but we have a small budget and cannot afford to replace items for carelessness.

As far as how many pencils a kid that age actually uses--as in uses up, I can give a good estimate since I homeschool. My son is in first grade and is just about to finish up--he is on his forth pencil for the year and it still has a lot of life left. And some of that use is a bit of oversharpening. Of course if you had a kid with sensory issues that tended to break a lot of lead or bite through them that would be a different story. My daughter (age five) is only on her second pencil for the year but I help her sharpen them. I can't imagine a child actually using up a box of pencils in a year, let alone six!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Having been a K-2 teacher I can assure you that kids can go through an entire pencil in a day. Every time they sharpen the thing they lose at least an inch off of the pencil. Some children are habitual sharpeners. If the class has an electric sharpener they are even worse.

Another point is that for kids that don't have any pencils because their families haven't supplied them...well it takes away academic time from your child as well becuase the lesson can't begin until all children have the needed supplies be it a pencil, crayons or what have you. The teacher has to either find one some place for the child without or have the class spend time searching for an extra one to use.

Last edited by Kimmyann; 04-22-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kids have been in school for quite a few years. We have never had pooled supplies.

Supplies are kept in labelled 1litre ziplocks with the child's name wrote in it. The bags are kept in a bucket and if the child needs something from it they go to their own bucket. Seems to work fine.

In the early elementary years they ask for 25-30 pencils. Most years I got 15-20 pencils back at the end if the year.

We have had to send in more kleenex, gluesticks and erasers but that is it.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #25
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
I would just have all of her things in a pencil box, compartment bag or something similar, and have her use them. Not a pooling fan, and won't be doing it when my kids are in school. I'll be glad to donate a few extra sets of things to the teacher for the class, for kids whose parents can't or won't, but my kids things will be theirs, and they will be in charge of keeping up with them.

As far as the mention I saw to staying on top of kids about their own stuff, I would be doing that, not the teacher. I wouldn't expect a teacher to make sure my sons have enough crayons or pencils in their box, I'd check that myself.

It astounds me what some people expect a teacher to be responsible for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 04-22-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #26
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
Lol, ok not really but ODD came with with yet another request for pencils, 20 of the.. I'll have sent in SIX boxes of pencils this year. SIX! I don't get how one first grade child could go though that many pencils. Of course stuff will need to be replaced but I feel like I am always sending in new supplies.

I think next year, I will send in a box of supplies with my daughter the first week of school. School supplies are super cheap then! Pencils, markers, glue., tissues, sanitizer, etc. and explain that it's all I'm sending in for the year. If there are special projects I will donate but for the basics that's it. I would also like my child to be the only one to use her own supplies.. I will replace those of course as she needs. This year her teacher told me they all pool together their supplies. I'm over the pooling

Anyone else ever do something like that?
That is because you are not supplying them for ONE child . You are suppling them for those that wont or can't supply them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
I've never heard of pooling supplies. It just makes no sense to me. Even in first grade I could manage my own crayons.
Its not that they can't manage them it is because people will not buy their children school supplies, so the other parents are having to picking up the tab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
This. I homeschool, so kinda a moot point for me, but I teach my children to be responsible for their belongings. Pooling bothers me because some children are not responsible and it should not be my issue if a kid keeps losing or breaking his stuff if it isn't my kid. It should be that parent's pocketbook, not mine. Responsibility is important to me anyway, but we have a small budget and cannot afford to replace items for carelessness.

As far as how many pencils a kid that age actually uses--as in uses up, I can give a good estimate since I homeschool. My son is in first grade and is just about to finish up--he is on his forth pencil for the year and it still has a lot of life left. And some of that use is a bit of oversharpening. Of course if you had a kid with sensory issues that tended to break a lot of lead or bite through them that would be a different story. My daughter (age five) is only on her second pencil for the year but I help her sharpen them. I can't imagine a child actually using up a box of pencils in a year, let alone six!
This is how I feel as well!

DD is in first also and I think we've only been through half a pack of mechanical pencils and I know that some have gotten lost while traveling with DH.

Edited to say: Op the title of this thread is hilarious .

Last edited by AbbieJack; 04-22-2013 at 09:25 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #27
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

I WISH my dds class didn't pool supplies. She's ALWAYS getting sick, and so are all the other kids. Sure, Johnny. Pick your nose, color with the blue, and then trade Suzy for her red. Thx for the infectious snot, btw!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #28
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am the weirdo. I love pooling supplies. Maybe it's because I taught music and that was the only way that I could have done it since it would be pretty silly for everyone to have their own personal mallets for music class. I even got to the point where I got a set of recorders for in class use and had the class sanitize them at the end of class as they lined up. It took less time for an entire class to do that than it did for me to document who remembered and who didn't, allow make up work/tests (yes they were tested on their skills), and follow up with parent notes.

We get notes home all the time with classroom needs requests/wish lists. I've never gotten the impression that the expectation was that every parent would send in what was on the list, but I certainly jump at the chance to help out and try to send in something every week. I don't begrudge the kids of slacker parents at all.

And I highly doubt pooling supplies leads to much more sickness than not. Those sweet little kids sneeze and cough all over each other. They pick their noses and play in each other's hair. They wipe snot under the tables. Sharing a can of pencils that gets sprayed down with disinfectant regularly won't make that much difference.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #29
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Some pencil types don't last as long either. If you get the cheap Office max pencils they will be used quickly. If you get the better grade pencils they won't be eaten by the pencil sharpener as much. We send 2 pkgs to school and with ds 2, I voluntarily sent another pkg as they were running low w/o any notes having been sent by the teacher. But i get not liking pooling the supplies, my children last year were sent home with 2 doz sharpened pencils all of various lengths which is what we use at home this year. This year a different school different teacher style, although he does get to keep his own markers/crayons at his own desk. Its just the pencils they share.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever

And I highly doubt pooling supplies leads to much more sickness than not. Those sweet little kids sneeze and cough all over each other. They pick their noses and play in each other's hair. They wipe snot under the tables. Sharing a can of pencils that gets sprayed down with disinfectant regularly won't make that much difference.
They share EVERYTHING. Pencils, crayons, markers, scissors, glue, iPads, computers. Yuck.

ETA: We also have CA-MRSA epidemic here, so I'd LOVE the least amount of snot contact as possible.

Last edited by mommypockets; 04-23-2013 at 12:13 PM.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote