Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

The minute she came in, her baby was screaming. She had him in the carrier thing, inside the cart. He was screaming bloody murder. She went straight to produce and then down an aisle it two, then over to bakery. I think. Hard to remember with all that screaming. She only tried his pacifier a couple times. Just kept going to items and didn't stop to console him but for a second. The place was packed and the checkout lines were 6 carts deep. Only two cashiers! That baby screamed and screamed. She put a blanket over him! Urgh.... Maybe she should have picked him up? Or nursed him. Idk.

Then this lady offered to switch places with her inline. While everyone else was staring at this mom. Disapproval all over their faces, whispering about how the baby was OBVIOUSLY hungry, this other woman reached out to this horrible mom and gave her a life line.

And when she hugged me and said 'my third boy was a screamer, too' I just stared crying. I was the mom. Levi had been crying all day :'( I HAD to get groceries. Mission was in and out. As quickly as possible. Everyone in the store acted appalled. I knew if I stopped to comfort, it wouldn't work and just drag the whole horrid experience out. I was the mom. I spend my day consoling, nursing, rocking, hushing, shushing. He hates everything. Especially all of the above..

So next time if you see a mom like that in the store- instead of commenting on the baby and what he obviously needs, give her your place in line or a quarter to her toddlers to make their day.

Idk. This lady really lifted me today. I had a horrie day and Levi just cried and cried. But she didn't suggest anything. She didn't tell me I was eating too much broccoli or that I needed to swaddle him. She just got me on my way faster. Exactly what I needed and the biggest help any stranger has given me in a long time

Advertisement

Last edited by keen1981; 04-22-2013 at 09:03 PM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Horrible mom at grocery store

I never have a problem with a crying baby in a store, plane, restaurant....my problem is when baby isn't comforted!

Had the same experience in Michaels a few years ago. Mom on the phone, baby screaming it's head off for seriously 10 mins, she's on the phone the whole time. Baby in infant carrier in the cart too. Just pick the baby up and get off the phone lady!!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
I had a day like that with my oldest at Target. When he's sick of being out, he's just sick of it. Nothing consoles him. He didn't do pacifiers, and if he wasn't hungry or thirsty, no go on a bottle. Picking him up did nothing. He wanted a moving car or to be in bed. Screamed through the whole store, but I had to get whatever it was I needed that day. He was maybe... 2-3m then? Or smaller. Not even sitting up or crawling at the least, and still in the lowest strap setting on his bucket seat. He just hated being in his carseat, and wanted to nap in his bed; no where else.

I got hell from people for it, but there really are just times when you know nothing will work. So rather than spend twice or thrice as long in a store trying a million tricks you know your kid doesn't go for, to suffice a judgey public, do what you have to do.

I'm glad someone reached out to you mama :]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Last edited by Hillargh; 04-22-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh View Post
I never have a problem with a crying baby in a store, plane, restaurant....my problem is when baby isn't comforted!

Had the same experience in Michaels a few years ago. Mom on the phone, baby screaming it's head off for seriously 10 mins, she's on the phone the whole time. Baby in infant carrier in the cart too. Just pick the baby up and get off the phone lady!!
I don't think you made it through the whole post... Lol.

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

(((HUGS))) I'm glad there was someone there to uplift you! If I were closer I would offer myself or one of my older girls to help you shop. it must be hard!!!
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My three year old had colic for 4 months. It was like a switch flipped in her at about 3pm and she screamed, inconsolably until she passed out at about 11pm. This happened EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.. Nothing I did calmed her. We tried it all. I made sure to have everything done and be back home by 2 just so I didn't have to explain and put up with looks.

It is hard. Many times I just sat and held her, rocked her, nursed her and cried along with her.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by 7 for now; 04-22-2013 at 09:16 PM.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

What a sweet lady she was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
I don't think you made it through the whole post... Lol.

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
lilannies mama
Registered Users
seller

Glad someone helped you out mama! Mine is a screamer when she's done she's done. People just look like shut that kid up. I just think I've tried nothing else I can do & if they think they can do better to try. Do people think we enjoy our children crying or screaming when were trying to accomplish something. I'm glad that lady was there for you today.
lilannies mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a problem with crying babies, or even toddlers/kids having tantrums. The only time I have a problem with a crying baby is when parents ignore the baby. That happened once in a restaurant. The baby, not more than a few weeks, started crying to the point of being beet read. Mom turned the baby around (baby was in carseat) and just went on with her meal. I had to leave, I was pregnant with dd (my third baby) and it made me start leaking and making me get overwhelmed with all the hormones.

I'm glad someone was compassioante to you, it can be hard sometimes.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote