Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
urbanalbino
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dr. wants 4mos old on puree already?

I took my EBF son in for his 4 month check up this morning and weighed 19lbs and measured 25 in. She told me that he is in the 25th for height and 90th for weight and wants me to start pureeing green beans to help keep his belly full so he doesn't nurse as much. I always heard 6 months for any kind of food .... is this normal? Has any one else put their 4 month old on purees? Is his belly developed enough to handle it?

eeek I'm freakin' out!

Advertisement

Mama to Chris and expecting boy #2 Feb '15!
urbanalbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would first talk to a different doctor.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
PBAki
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Dr. wants 4mos old on puree already?

We're waiting until DD2 is six months old. DD1 was six months too when she started solids.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
My 8 month old is still ebf and is hanging in the 95th percentile for weight. My ped said not a word about starting solids at her last visit, less than a month ago. Id find a second opinion or just go with your gut and wait.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www2.aap.org/breastfeeding/fa...stfeeding.html

The AAP recommends starting solids at 6 months, but "food is for fun before one". Some people choose to start later. At 4 months, breastmilk or formula should be a baby's primary source of nutrition.

Another great article: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../delay-solids/

ETA - DS1, DS3, and DS4 were all off the charts for weight at 4 months old (DS1 received pumped breastmilk, DS3 and DS4 were/are exclusively breastfed). Our doctor never suggested feeding them solids so young. We practice BLW, and waited for them to show signs of readiness. DS1 was 5.5 months, DS2 was 7-8 months (but didn't actually eat any real amounts until 14 months), DS3 was 6-7 months, and DS4 is 5.5 months and still EBF (no solids).

Last edited by AnimalHouse; 04-25-2013 at 08:39 AM.
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know the science behind these recommendations, but I DO think that babies are much better equipped to tell you when they are ready for other foods than a doctor.

Things like whether or not they can figure out how to swallow something other than milk. If their bodies are tolerating it. You'll be able to tell I suppose by crying, gas, spitting up, seeming uncomfortable.

For my personal opinion, if baby tolerates it, can swallow it without choking and likes it, I don't see the big deal. it's not like a person is mashing up cheetoes and serving them. it's vegetables or a grain cereal. The amounts they eat at that young age barely make a dent in their formula or BM consumption. Think about it...how many calories are in a couple tablespoons of green beans? Maybe 20?

I also recall my Dr and one other person once saying that they think the introduction of wheat at less than 6 months may prevent celiacs. I have never followed up to research that, though.

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 04-25-2013 at 08:40 AM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
We waited until 6 months, but only just. Both of our children let us know they were ready to start eating table foods. We started our son on mashed up avocado.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
I don't know the science behind these recommendations, but I DO think that babies are much better equipped to tell you when they are ready for other foods than a doctor.

Things like whether or not they can figure out how to swallow something other than milk. If their bodies are tolerating it. You'll be able to tell I suppose by crying, gas, spitting up, seeming uncomfortable.

For my personal opinion, if baby tolerates it, can swallow it without choking and likes it, I don't see the big deal. it's not like a person is mashing up cheetoes and serving them. it's vegetables or a grain cereal. The amounts they eat at that young age barely make a dent in their formula or BM consumption. Think about it...how many calories are in a couple tablespoons of green beans? Maybe 20?

I also recall my Dr and one other person once saying that they think the introduction of wheat at less than 6 months may prevent celiacs. I have never followed up to research that, though.
I would normally agree with this statement, but OP said her doctor suggested starting solids in order to get her 4 month old to fill his belly up and nurse less. That's really bad advice, IMO.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post

I would normally agree with this statement, but OP said her doctor suggested starting solids in order to get her 4 month old to fill his belly up and nurse less. That's really bad advice, IMO.
I agree. Baby should still be getting breast milk first. And this is from a mom who did start solids early. My girls showed readiness signs - sitting well, interest in eating, loss of the tongue thrust reflex. I'm not against starting solids early, but the doctor's reasons for it are very bad.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmm I think you received very bad advice and I would most certainly disregard it and look for another pediatrician. Also doing your own research is very important. I trust our Ped. and he is very thoughtful and values parents making their own decisions. However I don't take anything he says as anything other than one piece of advice to consider when making a decision. There is nothing wrong with your child's weight and replacing breastmilk or formula with anything for such a young infant is a dangerous recommendation. If you feel your child is ready for solids then that is your decision but it should in now way replace the nutrition from breastmilk or formula. FWIW all of my children have been anywhere from 20-22lbs at 4 months and he has never suggested anything was a problem. What your Ped. is recommending is that you stop giving your child vital nutrients and replace it with filler that in now way compares nutritionally.

ETA: And you're the parent. You don't have to do one single thing he says to do. He's not your boss and you will not get in trouble.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek

Last edited by nonipie; 04-25-2013 at 08:53 AM.
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote