Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dr. wants 4mos old on puree already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
I would normally agree with this statement, but OP said her doctor suggested starting solids in order to get her 4 month old to fill his belly up and nurse less. That's really bad advice, IMO.
Of course it is. I'm curious where the conversation went that the doctor felt that was reasonable advice? Like, was the OP worried about the child's weight? Worried about how often the baby nurses? maybe the Dr sensed something sublte in passing conversation and was telling mom it was okay if she wanted to start solids, if that would help alleviate some other concern. I don't know, I wasn't there. At this point, either the Dr was sensing a concern from mom or he's a nut. it's bad advice if he truly thinks feeding solids will decrease milk appetite at this age, but following the advice won't hurt anything most likely.

eta: I re-read the OP and was thinking her child was UNDERWEIGHT, not at the top of the weight chart. My opinion doesn't change that much in regards to when and how solids are introduced, but perhaps the question should be whether or not baby is hungry all the time or just sucking because he likes it. I don't know.

Advertisement

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 04-25-2013 at 09:02 AM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
ElToAnCy
Registered Users
seller

Honestly... I've never heard it said that a 4 month old baby can consume too much breast milk. It's the perfect food! If your diet is healthy then your breast milk will be even better! I started all four of my children on solids around the age of 9 months (EBF until that time). However, two of my children didn't take solids at all until they were 12 months old (EBF until that time). They simply gagged and refused solids. They are perfectly healthy now.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
ElToAnCy
Registered Users
seller

I'm not even sure a child is digesting too many fruits and veges until they are older anyways. Have you ever seen the diaper of a baby who is eating a lot of pureed baby food? It just passes right through! In some cases it even smells exactly like it did when it went in. I have been babysitting in my home and feeding baby food to babies 9 months and younger and that has been my experience with diaper changes. Perhaps it varies child by child.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Your doctor is not up to date. Which happens when they stop attending conferences and reading journals. Do not start purees. Children loved at the breast for their first year of life with no other foods for centuries. There is no need.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
feistymomma11
Registered Users

My Mood:

I too would agree that the dr is incorrect on starting solids. My doctor tried something similar with my DS when he was a baby. He wanted me to start giving him juice bottles in every other feeding so he wasn't getting as much milk. I just said "ockie dockie" and kept on doing what I was doing. When it comes to breastfeeding especially, I listen very little to what doctors have to say. They know very little and are taught very little in med school about it (I have a brother in law in med school, and my husbands best friend is a doctor). Trust your gut, you know what is right for your baby.
feistymomma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't think *I* would do it. I understand his concerns, and 20 years ago, we did start babies on baby food at 4 months. But, really, at 4 months, they just weren't ready to swallow baby food. They have that tongue thrust thing for a reason. Something strange goes in, the tongue pushes it back out. It's not because the baby hasn't learned to eat...it's because they are programmed to keep things out that shouldn't be there until it is time.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 04-25-2013 at 09:17 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

The aap,and WHO both reccommend exclusive breastfeeding until Baby is 6 months of age. WIC does not provide solid food until the same time. This definitely indicates your doctors advice is incorrect. This also reminds me of my sons pedi, I liked him enough with ds1 who was FF but when I had DS2, he told me not to let him nurse for more than 10mins a side, because all it would do was cause me pain, and he wasn't getting any milk anyways! Luckily I had done a ton of research before ds2 to make nursing work, and knew this advice was terrible, otherwise my supply surly could have suffered. I changed pedis pretty quickly after that!!

But honestly mama, go with your gut! Do YOU think baby needs to start solids?? Is baby showing signs of being ready? I personally, didn't start ds2 on solids until 9 months when he started showing interest. Yes, he nursed a lot! But he is and was healthy as can be. Trust your mama gut! Nature gave it to you for a reason.

please forgive all typos due to auto correct's lack of mind reading abilities. :-)
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanalbino View Post
I took my EBF son in for his 4 month check up this morning and weighed 19lbs and measured 25 in. She told me that he is in the 25th for height and 90th for weight and wants me to start pureeing green beans to help keep his belly full so he doesn't nurse as much. I always heard 6 months for any kind of food .... is this normal? Has any one else put their 4 month old on purees? Is his belly developed enough to handle it?

eeek I'm freakin' out!

That is incredibly bad advice.

You baby gets WAY more from you than he does from green beans.

I do believe I'd have to ask the doctor if they support breast feeding up to/past a year. I would also ask if they have any up to date info they can share on exclusively breastfeeding past 6 months...

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Most of our doctors have tried to tell us this too. It's outdated advice. Your milk is way more beneficial than solids to your baby until 12 months (not that you have to stop nursing then). There is lots of info out there to back up waiting until 6 months for an EBF baby.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
safghf
Registered Users
seller

Definitely bad advice

Starting food that early can lead to allergy issues, nursing problems, etc. Unless baby is starving, in which case you would supplement with formula before solids, there is very little need. 19lbs at 4 months doesn't seem small at all. How big was baby at birth?

You should follow your gut. Based on your OP it sounds like you don't think this is good advice either. Definitely get a second opinion if not a new ped, and keep up the good work nursing that baby
safghf is offline   Reply With Quote