Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

The pediatrician that we take all our foster babies to recommends starting baby cereals at 4 months, but of course since they are foster they are formula fed. I usually go with it, most of the babies like having something to do while the rest of us eat. They only get a teaspoon up to maybe a couple tablespoons before they are around 6 months. I've never had a baby develop tummy troubles because of it. Once they are 6 months and we introduce other foods, I drop off the cereals because they are really nutritionally empty compared to yummy veggies and fruits.

Advertisement

PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dr. wants 4mos old on puree already?

I think the OP is saying the doctor thinks her baby is too fat and needs the empty calories of pureed foods to fill him up to prevent overeating of highly nutritious breast milk. Still horrible advice. Overweight formula fed babies are at a risk for remaining overweight through life but breastfeeding is actually a safeguard against childhood obesity. I bet once your little one starts being more active his weight will even out.

Last edited by Leah52; 04-25-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here is a good article from Kellymom.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
skilgore
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanalbino
I took my EBF son in for his 4 month check up this morning and weighed 19lbs and measured 25 in. She told me that he is in the 25th for height and 90th for weight and wants me to start pureeing green beans to help keep his belly full so he doesn't nurse as much. I always heard 6 months for any kind of food .... is this normal? Has any one else put their 4 month old on purees? Is his belly developed enough to handle it?

eeek I'm freakin' out!
I have a 4 month old EBF DS and we just went to his check up last week and he was 25.5" long and 14#4oz. He was in the 73rd for length and 35th for weight. I am scratching my head wondering where they come up with these percentiles. Their length is half an inch off but 50 percent difference?? My dr told me I could start him on puréed foods too but I'm deciding to hold off until 6 months. You are the parent so educate yourself and make the decision that you feel is best for y'all.
skilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My son was the same weight though a bit longer. Doctor was concerned until I said he was ebf. I think if he was that weight and bottle feeding or on solids she would have said something needed to change. As long as he was ebf she had no issues with his weight. He is now 22 months old and weighs in at 27lbs. He did weigh a few pounds more but was sick for around a month and lost a few pounds. He could afford it though.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #26
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Both of my exclusively breastfed kids were fat at 4 months old - I mean, their rolls had rolls. At 3, my son is tall and lean. At 17 months, my daughter is at the 50th percentile exactly for height/weight ratio. I say ditch that doctor, there's no reason to "fill them up" in an effort to decrease breastmilk consumption. NONE.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
mamaspice
Registered Users

I would nod and smile, then continue feeding on cue and delay solids until at least 6 mos. My dd had this same growth pattern and was totally off the charts for weight when she was ebf. She is 19 mos now and has slimmed out on her own.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Doc's advise is just flat out wrong. What does your gut tell you mama? Does it tell you baby weighs too much, or does it tell you that baby is getting lots of good nutrition and is strong and healthy? Pretty sure I can guess the answer.

My DS1 had rolls and rolls and rolls of fat at 12mo (later walker). At 7yo, there is not an ounce of fat on his body, he is healthy and active. Being a fat baby did not lead him to be a fat kid.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
urbanalbino
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, thank you for all the advice everyone. This thread blew up very quickly. What I failed to mention (although I don't think it matters) is Chris is a big spitter, and would gag so hard that he would lose his lunch. So last week I had the nurses call in some baby Zantac for him to try and I believe it is working. But, she suggested that maybe Chris is nursing more to pacify himself (hates pacifiers) more than he is hungry. I can believe that - when he is upset, he calms down when nursing. As his mother, I feel that I have to do that. For this, dr. believes his belly is just too full and it ends up coming back out.

At first she suggested that I try rice cereal and then told her I had no interest in offering that to him because there was little to no nutritional value to it. That's when she suggested to puree green beans. I knew he was a big boy, but I didn't express a concern to her about it. What confuses me about the whole thing is that the reason I have this dr. in the first place is because she is a huge bf supporter. On of the biggest ones out of 6 in the office.

I do not feel comfortable with starting purees this early, so I'm not going to do it. I had my heart majorly set on starting on actual solids when he is ready so thats just what Ima gonna do.
Mama to Chris and expecting boy #2 Feb '15!
urbanalbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #30
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanalbino
Wow, thank you for all the advice everyone. This thread blew up very quickly. What I failed to mention (although I don't think it matters) is Chris is a big spitter, and would gag so hard that he would lose his lunch. So last week I had the nurses call in some baby Zantac for him to try and I believe it is working. But, she suggested that maybe Chris is nursing more to pacify himself (hates pacifiers) more than he is hungry. I can believe that - when he is upset, he calms down when nursing. As his mother, I feel that I have to do that. For this, dr. believes his belly is just too full and it ends up coming back out.

At first she suggested that I try rice cereal and then told her I had no interest in offering that to him because there was little to no nutritional value to it. That's when she suggested to puree green beans. I knew he was a big boy, but I didn't express a concern to her about it. What confuses me about the whole thing is that the reason I have this dr. in the first place is because she is a huge bf supporter. On of the biggest ones out of 6 in the office.

I do not feel comfortable with starting purees this early, so I'm not going to do it. I had my heart majorly set on starting on actual solids when he is ready so thats just what Ima gonna do.
Babies suck differently when they eat and when they pacify. When they pacify they get none or very little milk and if they get milk it's not the fatty milk that comes at the end. Your doctor doesnt seem to know much about Breastfeeding. Spitting up doesn't mean baby is over full and over eating at the breast isn't common. Also Breastfed babies tend to be bigger. It is a healthy to protect against many things, when they are older they slim down.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote