Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 AM   #41
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I don't know if it's been said, but baby may not want it at 4 or 6 months. DD was about 7.5 months when she went for it. andevwnthen was 10 months before she ate much.

I leave it up to baby. They dont carry calendars. And I prefer BLW.

Food threads always blow up quickly

Advertisement

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 04-26-2013 at 05:28 AM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #42
MrsFields
Registered Users

I read an article the other day about how feeding babies solids at too young of an age has been linked to the sudden rise in celiac disease and gluten intolerance.
MrsFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #43
MrsFields
Registered Users

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/he...cdc-finds.html

This is the above mentioned article. Obviously it's credible, it's the NY times and the CDC
MrsFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #44
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I don't know if it's been said, but baby may not want it at 4 or 6 months. DD was about 7.5 months when she went for it. andevwnthen was 10 months before she ate much.

Very true. My almost 8 month old has a strong thrust reflex and hadn't swallowed anything yet.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #45
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange

Yup. We do BLW and both my boys didn't start till closer to 1 year (8 months and 11 months). Also many people confuse readiness signs with baby wanting your spoon.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #46
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma

Yup. We do BLW and both my boys didn't start till closer to 1 year (8 months and 11 months). Also many people confuse readiness signs with baby wanting your spoon.
Exactly.

Guess what? Babies want to put everything in their mouth! Especially something you're putting in your mouth! And of course they watch you eat - they watch everything you do.

Neither things indicates they actually are ready for solids.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #47
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Dr. wants 4mos old on puree already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
I don't know the science behind these recommendations, but I DO think that babies are much better equipped to tell you when they are ready for other foods than a doctor.

Things like whether or not they can figure out how to swallow something other than milk. If their bodies are tolerating it. You'll be able to tell I suppose by crying, gas, spitting up, seeming uncomfortable.

For my personal opinion, if baby tolerates it, can swallow it without choking and likes it, I don't see the big deal. it's not like a person is mashing up cheetoes and serving them. it's vegetables or a grain cereal. The amounts they eat at that young age barely make a dent in their formula or BM consumption. Think about it...how many calories are in a couple tablespoons of green beans? Maybe 20?

I also recall my Dr and one other person once saying that they think the introduction of wheat at less than 6 months may prevent celiacs. I have never followed up to research that, though.
This. My big boy LOVED solids! We started with homemade rice cereal and went on to bananas, etc. he loved it all and never gagged. It was fun for both of us! You'll know if your little one isn't ready. If they gag, I would wait another month. If they don't, just keep trying stuff!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #48
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was at dd3s ballet class a couple of weeks ago and the mom kept shoving food in the 5 months old face who was crying and turning away from the spoon. He kept spitting it out and she would just shove more in.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #49
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane
I was at dd3s ballet class a couple of weeks ago and the mom kept shoving food in the 5 months old face who was crying and turning away from the spoon. He kept spitting it out and she would just shove more in.
Yeah... I overheard a mom telling another mom in the nursing room at church that she just made the baby food so runny that the baby couldn't push it out. As I watched her stuff the spoon into her baby's mouth sitting in a chair that was so reclined that the baby was almost laying flat.

I kept my mouth shut cause I don't tell anyone else how to parent. But it seemed so wrong to me.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #50
urbanalbino
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dr. wants 4mos old on puree already?

Oh my goodness, that is so sad. =(
Mama to Chris and expecting boy #2 Feb '15!
urbanalbino is offline   Reply With Quote