Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
birdie
Registered Users
seller

Question for those who have homebirthed!

Ok so this is my third baby but first homebirth. I got the birth kit in yesterday but need a few supplies my midwife says she will need us to have on hand. She also asks to have bottled water and snacks on hand for her and the doula and also for me. What are good snacks? Also any tips for things to have on hand that maybe I wouldn't think of? Or things tips on anything? I am trying to get everything ready and have on hand tomorrow and Saturday. I am 37 weeks.

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

Re: Question for those who have homebirthed!

I'd get some trail mix, cheese and crackers, muffins, fruit. Have some variety of teas, water and coffee. Excited for you!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLeast View Post
I'd get some trail mix, cheese and crackers, muffins, fruit. Have some variety of teas, water and coffee. Excited for you!
I was going to suggest the same things. I also had whatever I thought I might like afterwards; each of my midwifes like to see me eating something in their final evaluation of how I was doing before they left. Instant soup, toast, eggs...something dh can make for you quickly but has good protein.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
homeschoolkitty
Registered Users
seller

I had grapes, lots of grapes and cheeses... and closer to time I had turkey slices and wholewheat bread, so they had sandwiches. I also had bought (with coupons) a munch of lean cousine individual dishes.
homeschoolkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
jackobeano
Registered Users
seller

I would definitely recommend protein bars, Gatorade or the like, and soups for after for food and drinks. Also for other tips, have the camera ready to go for video/photos, floradix to boost iron, arnica for healing, peroxide to clean up any blood, a DH ready to do anything needed to make things run smoothly, and a great support system in place. Make sure also that you have plenty of towels especially if you are planning a water birth. Hope evetything goes amazingly, homebirth is the best!

ISO/IHA
jackobeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The suggestions above sound great! Just thought I'd let you know though that every time I've had a baby at home, my midwives haven't needed anything! They do ask that you have some snacks available, and I always do, but I just thought I'd say don't go crazy preparing TONS of stuff for them, because they might not need it at all. Of course, it's always nice for you to have some healthy snacks in the house after the baby comes too, so I'm sure it won't be wasted.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yogurt
Luna or Lara bars
Peanut butter
Honey
Gatorade or emergen C
Trail mix
Miso soup
Fruit for a smoothie
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmm I have had 3 homebirths (2 different mw's and another new one now) and never have they asked me to have water and snacks on hand for them. weird. they usually eat before or if labor is going slow go off to eat somewhere and come back. I have had food out before(water broke early so i had time pasta salad, salad, cake, and they always went out and sat and talked or whatever. I am a hands off mostly kinda gal so they just get to hang while i labor
Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine never asked me to supply snacks but I have older kids so we always have snacks- fruit, yogurt, nuts, (trail mix is great) they have always made me eat after baby is born and this last time it was 3 am, so I couldn't send my mom out for the food I really wanted. LOL
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
birdie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! She said she started putting as supplies because they have been at long births back to back, like 72 hours straight and so sometimes they have no time between going to clients to eat. It's my third so I am hoping its fast. We usually have healthy snacks for my girls and always fruit I just didn't know if there was any specific things that maybe you helped with energy and stuff. I make these energy balls so I may make them once I start labor, I am not a screamer and like to stay busy. Lol