Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Why are children's menu's so boring?

Seriously, every time we eat out I look at the children't menu for DS and I wouldn't want to eat any of the stuff, so why would he? There are a few exceptions of coarse but most children's menus seem to cater to children with no taste buds or something. Am I wrong? Do people really not feed their children what they are eating? My son even likes Tobasco on food because DH does!

Do parents that have children that eat like they do, just get an adult portion and then expect left overs for the next day? I am just trying to understand.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why are children's menu's so boring?

I would say that children's menus are designed to have "child friendly" foods. They are more as alternatives to the main menu and not so much about portion size. I usually simply split an adult entree with my young children. When they get a little older, they split an adult entree between a couple of the kids and ultimately order their own adult entree sometimes with leftovers.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Restaurants keep on the menu things that sell. Which means that if chicken nuggets, hot dogs, cheese burgers and grilled cheese is on the kids menu at each restaurant, of course that's what most kids are eating. Most places do have at least one child sized version of whatever the restaurant is-Olive Garden has a kids spaghetti, Red Lobster has fish, etc etc.

In addition, too many things on a menu tends to overwhelm small kids. My 4 yr old gets overwhelmed at IHOP when my mom takes us out because their kids menu seems to have a kid sized option of nearly EVERYTHING they have-a kids omlet, kits pancakes, smiley faced pancakes, grilled cheese, etc etc etc. She will look at those pics FOREVER before picking something.

This means most places keep the menus to a short list of the most commonly ordered kids foods. Which is why they all look the same.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD1 ordered pancakes and a side salad off the kids menu last time Mine are 4 and 2, and while DD1 is adventurous, DD2 adores things like Mac and cheese and quesadillas. Sometimes we'll order an adult portion for them to split, or just feed them off our plates, or get them appetizers
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH doesn't share period. And while I can, I don't normally. So I guess if we have just one eating child for a while yet, we are just going to have to get him stuff off the adult menu. I imagine when the one inside me is big enough to join DS, then DS will be wanting his whole portion anyway. So we will just deal.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We get the kids an adult entree and they all split it. They would rather that anyway. We just give them choices we know they will like instead of handing them a huge menu.

However, my tiny, jacked, 7 year old could eat an adult portion on his own...thank goodness we are cutting out eating out!! He is just crazy active and PACKS it away. He loves to show off his 6 pack to anyone who will look. hehe

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Erinne
Registered Users

We get 2 adult entrees and sometimes an appetizer if we're really hungry and share it all. We rarely get kid's meals.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are eating out less and less and less anymore but when we do go out we get 3 adult meals and sometimes an appetizer and share between the 5 of us who are eating.

ETA: I have an unspoken rule of not ordering things that we could easily have at home -- there's no fun it that for me -- so I don't give my kids those options. I don't order chicken because I can pretty much do anything to chicken that one could think of (can't we all?!?!) and try to order something with ingredients that I wouldn't normally have on hand!

I don't care what other people order (this is not a judgmental post). If you want to go out and avoid the clean up of hot dogs and chicken go for it!

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!

Last edited by kannondicarpo; 04-26-2013 at 12:01 PM.
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son basically survives on a few chicken nuggets, french fries, peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches, white pizza, mac and cheese, strawberries, grilled cheese, or lunchmeat. He wont touch anything that has a speck of salt, pepper, or spices on it that he can see. Eating out with him is a challenge to say the least.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do understand your dilemma because my kid loves interesting food. He'll eat curry, Indian food, Thai food, Mexican, anything with spice.

I tend to just choose an adult entree for him that I think will heat up well. Then he'll eat the leftovers for lunch the next day or I will plan for him to eat it for dinner the next day and DH and I will have salad, because my 18 month old has not mastered eating greens with a fork and gets frustrated taking bites of salad. Just not his thing yet.

He will eat macaroni and cheese, though, so if they have a kids portion of that we will order that and a side of broccoli and then cut the broccoli in and mix it up really well.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote