Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why are children's menu's so boring?

We don't eat out often but we have family that comes out to visit and we will eat out nearly everyday when they are here. Also recently DH started doing Toastmasters and so in order for DS to spend any time with DH on every other Friday, we meet DH out to have dinner so then DH could go on to his meeting.

Strange question but I know I will have to deal with this with DS eating habits, has anyone frozen anything left over? How did it reheat? I could see this being an issue because honestly when my in laws come out, they don't like eating at our house. It is to the point that I don't even get more food when they come out because I know it will not be eaten. DS may be the only one with left overs so having that times 7 days that could be a bit much for a little guy to eat. KWIM? Oh and when my in-laws come out they pay. So it isn't a huge bill for us, thankfully!

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My kids like the kids menu because it has foods I don't typically buy/make, like chicken strips and hot dogs. When we go out for Mexican food, I do encourage them to get something non-American, but the youngest isn't yet ready for that.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Because its typical 'kid food'.....a lot of folks think kids have bland pallets for some reason. Ive noticed over the last yr the kid sized portions have grown. So instead of letting the girls pick off the kids menu(those rare times they had something other then mac n cheese, grilled cheese, ect) they now always just split an adult portion. And it ends up being cheaper There are some places we go to where the adult portion is just ridiculous so the girls and I will share and dh gets leftovers for lunch from his.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
aries416
Registered Users
seller

My kids aren't a big fan of kid menu foods for the most part. We are vegetarians and my son can't have dairy, so that limits him at least a great deal. He either shares with me or he eats the bread/chips/appetizer (he's not a big eater). My daughter likes mac & cheese sometimes, but won't eat it at home. Chinese and Indian are our favorite places. My son loves Indian and my daughter loves spicy tofu from Chinese restaurants.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
kanga1622
Registered Users

We generally don't order off the kids menu because DS can eat his entire kids meal and still be picking food off our plates. DS is just a HUGE eater and usually eats more than I do (an overweight woman that is 7 months pregnant).

Plus, we have found it easier to order veggies off an adult menu and that's what DS wants to eat anyway. I can never order broccoli or carrots unless I want to get one bite while DS eats the rest.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids LOVE the kids menu stuff, because it's not things we typically eat at home (chicken nuggets, personal pizza, etc) It's a special treat for them to get those things than eat what we eat which is what they normally do (no food catering in this house)

They also just think there is something special about being able to choose their own meal, so they love to look over the kids menu with pictures and decide on their sides. If they didn't like anything there, we would order a reasonable priced adult entree and split it, or take the leftovers home. We don't eat out very often though, so usually just being "out" is enough of a thrill for them to choose almost anything and be happy with it.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

My boys are not real adventurous eaters. I'm not going to pay restaurant prices for something that might get thrown away. I know my boys will eat chicken fingers and french fries, so that is generally what I order for them when we go out. They are 2 and 4 and neither is a huge eater, so one kids meal is usually enough for both of them. When we go to a Mexican place, they each get a cheese quesadilla and split an order or rice and beans -- and my 4 year old could eat a whole basket of chips and salsa by himself!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can order a hearty soup for little ones too, as a meal. Depending on their appetites, a cup or a bowl, and a few bites of Mom and Dad's meals just to try new things makes a fine meal.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are vegetarian, so it depends on where we are how we order. Most of the time I split with DS, unless we go to sushi, then Ds eats whatever he wants off the line because he will out eat us both. Indian he gets his own dish, as he has a couple favorites he doesn't like to share, he gets his own quiche for the same reason. Saying that at a couple places he isn't as into the choices so might get pizza, ir in the case of our favorite Italian place, we family dine and all share, and since the kids pizza is a good size for price and ds gets spumoni he is happy. Ds is very adventerous, but does draw the line on a few things, so sometimes it's nice to have a kids menu, sometimes not.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

We usually order off the appetisers for Jam, in view of portion size. Or else soup. The child freaking loves soup.