Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #21
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Why are children's menu's so boring?

We very rarely eat out, a few times a year? When we do we usually order off the adult menu, my three oldest can eat a full plate, the younger two share.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #22
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is America. Home of McDonald's on every street corner. Of course kids' menus look the way they do.

We eat out multiple times a week. Our girls share our food and get an approved kid's menu item to split. We don't read them all the options; just what we would have them eat. They also never have fountain drinks. If a drink is included they have milk. If it isn't, we always have their sippy cups in the diaper bag.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

it annoys me as well . I will eat at restaurants that have healthy choices for parents, but yet mini-corn dogs for the kids? I don't get it. And then there are some places that have great offerings for kids with big portions. We haven't eat out much these last few years (maybe once or twice a year), but when we have, i generally just order an extra side with my meal and share whatever my son will eat.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
emilyinmichigan
Registered Users
seller

I find kids meals to be insulting to kids. Kids are fully capable of eating and enjoying real food. We don't eat boxed mac & cheese or chicken squirted into dinosaur shapes at home so why would I want to pay for "food" like that in a restaurant?

Ours eat off the real menu and at their ages (6 & 4) they typically share an entree.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #25
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We dont' eat at restaurants that have that type of kids menus. Some don't have kids menus at all (but kids are more than welcome there) or they are the same as the adults menu just in smaller portions. We don't eat fried foods, or those other typical kids foods.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
eliz7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I always share with my little ones and as they get bigger they share with each other. I figure the adult portions are so big I shouldn't eat it all anyway

I never order off the kids menu and my kids wouldn't want it any way.
Happy to be again after a bit of a break
eliz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #27
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
We eat out a lot, and always order from the kids menu for the kids.

DS is incredibly picky, so some days he's lucky if he likes anything on the kids menu. DD has a great appetite, but is quite small, so an adult portion is still way too big. We always offer the kids food from our plate, and DS has never taken us up on our offer.

The restaurant that we go to fairly regularly just sells burgers, pasta, flatbread pizza, etc. so the kids menu really is just a mini version of the adult menu.

If we get sushi takeout, we don't order from a kids menu (although I think it's still mini portions of adult entrees). We typically get a variety of rolls, salads, and noodles and the kids just pick and choose what they want. DS is much more adventurous with Japanese food than any other kind of food we have.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #28
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH works for restaurants, has worked for many(as have I) including chili's for about 7 years.

That's what sells....simple as that. Bet they don't sell as much "chicken breast" that is on the kids menu but just put it there to have some healthy options.

Us.....we go both ways....order from the kids menu for the littles....order from the adult for the older kids. ODS often just gets soup and a Caesar salad, his fave.

Last night we ate at noodles and company - one of my fave places with kids. ODS and I had pad thai and the Bangkok curry and then switched mid way(I'm not germaphobic unless someone is sick!). Other kids did mac n chz, DH a sandwich so everyone was happy. Plus they do small portions.......
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #29
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

I really don't see the problem. If your kids want food with flavor, I would simply order off of the regular menu. There is nothing that says that kids have to eat off of the kid menu. The kid menu simply adds choices to what the kids can eat.

OP, I cannot recall how old your LO is. I would just order an appetiser and share my meal with my LO. I wouldn't bother to order a separate entree at each restaurant. While it isn't your money, I would still feel bad spending miney on a bunch of entrees that my child wouldn't finish or eat for leftovers.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #30
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think Jennifer has a great idea.

FWIW, more often than not I split an adult sized meal with my husband as portion sizes are just far too big for just one of us to eat.

As for the kids, if they want to eat nuggets and fries (which I do NOT make at home), they are welcome to do so.

We share food. A lot. It isn't unheard of for us to order 2-3 meals and split it between the 5 of us. We've gone out and just done appetizers and dessert for the fun of it as well. It's fun to have variety and it feels good to share. On the rare occasion that we all end up with our "own" plate, the kids always want to share what they have with us, "Daddy! Try this pasta. It's really good!"