Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help! Meals for big families...

Quote:
thats alot of $$ to spend on just one meal worth of meat (or is it?>)
Yeah, it's a lot of money. But, you are feeding a LOT of people. You are going to have TEN people at your dinner table. The cold hard truth is, you have a lot of people eating and that's going to mean you are going to have a higher than average grocery budget and be cooking a lot more food than the average family of four.

You might look into getting a bigger stove. Or perhaps one or two electric griddles or even a hot plate or two. That way you can get more cooked at once.

Advertisement

happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
carriecook'n'sew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Broil the burgers on a cookie sheet.

More large pan oven meals? Lasagna, enchiladas, corn pudding with chili on top

Things like tacos/fajitas.

I do a lot of fancy sandwiches with roasted meat - pork loin makes awesome sandwiches with cheap Italian bread - pop in oven to melt cheese, caramel used onions, spinach stuff like that. We had French dips last night.

Quesadillas with sliced up bits of meat. Toast them in oven instead of pan fry.

Summers coming... Meat on grill and huge servings of pasta salad, bean salad, potato salad.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Source Specializing in Embroidered Wool & Clothing Sets!! Interlock & Upcycled
ETSY STORE
Bitty Fluff Congo Adorable Newborn Fluff!
carriecook'n'sew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't get sausages often so I see just needing more or 2x as much (I'm not actually sure how big Italian sausages are) but at the same time, people often really don't actually need as much meat as they eat. I think it depends on the ages of your LO's too and how active they are, etc. IMO most children don't need an entire chicken breast, no way so yes I think that is kinda expensive for a whole meal, even for a family with 7 children (depending on their ages and activity level) and more sides might help and yeah, making use of more kitchen utensils if possible. Hopefully you'll figure something out

eta: I wouldn't even eat an entire chicken breast usually, and I am tandem nursing. But part of me does pull toward vegetarianism so I may be biased. Seriously though, I know that I really just don't NEED that much meat...

Last edited by mel j; 04-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Well here I make a huge salad every night and 1-2 more veggies. Sounds like you are using the entree as the entire meal and Americans are the only ones to do this! That meal you described should be a quarter of their plate- that would help alot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
-limit the expensive part of the dish. Under 5yo you get a half serving of meat (half a sausage or chicken breast) and everyone gets one meat. Still hungry? Have some bread.

-make meat the garnish not the main attraction. For most that means casserole type dishes.. But it could mean a small chicken breast, broccoli steamed and rice where the meat is 1/4 of the plate, broccoli the other and half the plate rice unless your carb watching and you change the rice and broccoli.

But the biggest tip? Plate all the plates in the kitchen before you set the food out. Making sure everyone gets their fair share. You don't want to raise selfish children. I never let anyone plate their own food, not even dh. Well guests do, before I plate the families plates
Yes! Exactly, a serving size of meat is considered the size of a deck of cards or a fist. I just found this out recently!

I try to keep filling snacks around, my 4 yo and baby thankfully love avocados, which are also kinda expensive here, but filling and super nutritious and considered to have 4-5 servings, lol! So it's worth it and if he is REALLY still hungry after dinner, my 4 yo often gets 1/4-1/2 an avocado and then he's fine. (Just an example)
Old 04-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
bamababies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriecook'n'sew View Post
Broil the burgers on a cookie sheet.

More large pan oven meals? Lasagna, enchiladas, corn pudding with chili on top

Things like tacos/fajitas.

I do a lot of fancy sandwiches with roasted meat - pork loin makes awesome sandwiches with cheap Italian bread - pop in oven to melt cheese, caramel used onions, spinach stuff like that. We had French dips last night.

Quesadillas with sliced up bits of meat. Toast them in oven instead of pan fry.

Summers coming... Meat on grill and huge servings of pasta salad, bean salad, potato salad.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

I second this. You could also add in oatmeal or bread crumbs to the hamburger meat to make it go further and stick em in the oven.

Pork chops, chicken, roast are all great crock pot meals. Add a few veggies and boom done! Make some casseroles....like cheese burger casserole, tator tot casserole, broccoli casserole, chicken and rice, red beans and rice, spaghetti (you can even throw some veggies in your spaghetti sauce), make a big meatloaf. Make some biscuits, rolls or cornbread. Have breakfast for dinner...pancakes, eggs, biscuits and gravy.

Another idea is to make homemade pizza. You could make it on english muffin halves and let everyone put their own toppings on it.

Look at the duggar family blog...they have a few recipes for feeding a large family.

My gone but not forgotten ^i^ DS T (9/06)
bamababies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With soon to be 8 kids I'm surprised your just starting to worry about meal planning. I only have three and shopping/cooking would be disastrous without a plan. Maybe there is some type of food assistance you can qualify for to help make sure everyone has enough. A diet of toast can't be healthy for a pregnancy.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #17
Dahlia64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasK View Post
With soon to be 8 kids I'm surprised your just starting to worry about meal planning. I only have three and shopping/cooking would be disastrous without a plan. Maybe there is some type of food assistance you can qualify for to help make sure everyone has enough. A diet of toast can't be healthy for a pregnancy.

This is exactly what my hubby just said to me...No Joke! But its like they all just started eating so much more at once! They all had growth spurts together! My 2 oldest are 9 and 8 and they eat like my husband...seriously...Huge quanity and then they want seconds. The next 3 eat quite a bit too! My 4 year old eats his whole plate full and then leaves the table and then almost ALWAYS comes back like 10 min later and wants more. I offer him fruit or a snack and hes like NO I want more dinner! My 3 year old eats like a cow! He could eat a half of pizza if u allowed him to...and really these kids are NOT overweight by any means. What scares me is the older they get the more they eat...and how much more could they possible eat? Thanks for the tips everyone! Some great ideas above!!!!!
Dahlia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #18
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have 5 and I triple every recipe that I have left overs. Sausages? I would have made about 24 sausages. I would have made three frozen bags of broccoli and added onion and peppers I would serve over 3 lbs of pasta or rice.

It sounds like you need to up your grocery budget. Making more will also allow for lunches or breakfasts.

Good luck.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #19
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
A diet of toast can't be healthy for a pregnancy
I only just put these two together even though you did totally say both that you were skipping meals and that you are pregnant.

OP, you need to start eating first. I am honestly shocked that your DH will eat three burgers knowing that you will not eat. There's no way my DH would have let that fly. There are MANY MANY times where DH would go without food himself to make sure that I sat my butt down and ate. At the minimum OP, make yourself your burger, then set it aside, and make everyone elses. Afterall, if mom passes out because baby in the belly needs more food, then no one gets a burger, right?
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, I know pasta is an "easy" meal for a big family, but IMO, it's NOT usually growth spurts when they're eating a ton of pasta (or grains) or super salty foods (sausages) or any kind of processed food, which leave people feeling "hungry" for various reasons: lack of real nutrients combined with salt, fats, sugar & starch which leave people wanting more, dehydration from too much salt/not enough water, misinterpreting thirst for hunger, etc. (Not that sugar, salt, fat & starches are always a bad thing - but I believe it's a big part of the reason why people are so addicted to certain foods.)

It's hard to break away from in our culture which pushed grains for so long (and still does) or a culture that is still pretty heavy on the meat, but pasta is really not a healthy meal in the first place. I KNOW I used to eat way too much of it...because I liked it and it was my favorite meal, not because I was actually that hungry; it could've also been partly b/c of the serious lack of nutrients in processed foods. Our LO's could eat tons of pasta if we let them - same with things like cold cereal, my siblings & I could easily eat 3 bowls of that stuff! So we don't do pasta or cold cereals any more, and I try to limit the grains and focus on healthy & filling fats, starches, proteins, vegetables, etc. and making vegetables the "star" of each meal. It took us awhile to get to this point though... but I see how my siblings eat and how I used to eat and don't want to pass that on!

I also agree that you shouldn't have to go every night only eating toast, esp. while you are pregnant and that your husband shouldn't be eating so much while letting you go without a proper dinner!! Can he help you cook at least? Even just cutting veggies?

Last edited by mel j; 04-27-2013 at 08:16 AM.