Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
Dahlia64
Banned

Re: Help! Meals for big families...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I only just put these two together even though you did totally say both that you were skipping meals and that you are pregnant.

OP, you need to start eating first. I am honestly shocked that your DH will eat three burgers knowing that you will not eat. There's no way my DH would have let that fly. There are MANY MANY times where DH would go without food himself to make sure that I sat my butt down and ate. At the minimum OP, make yourself your burger, then set it aside, and make everyone elses. Afterall, if mom passes out because baby in the belly needs more food, then no one gets a burger, right?

Not only am I pregnant but I also have a 5 month old who will be joining us at the table. Did I say I was pregnant? I dont remember what I typed (LOL) I wasnt worried about the baby Im pregnant with(Im only 2 months pregnant..not yet anyways. But def worried about the baby thats about to reach 6 months old and will be going to the dinner table soon! But...I do want a healthy baby and def dont want to deprive the baby of any vitamins or nutrients himself! or herself..(lol).
But heres what happens...I always make hubbys first because I feel...he works overnights and works hard to support us. He has a crappy schedule and dont get much sleep so I can stay home with the kids. I feed him firt becuase he needs to eat as early as possible because he has to go back to bed early evening so he can sleep until its time to go to work. SO Basiclaly I make his plate first and then little kid to big kid. By the time Im ready to eat..little kids are done and want more..Hubby is almost doen with his. He always says u can have the rest of mine or u can take my debit card and get something downtown. But I dont want to. I dont want to take from him or the kids! I dont want to take his debit ($$$ that we can use for something we may need in the house...dish detergent etc) and get soemthing from the deli becuase then Im taking away from what we may need later in the week! SO I settle for pb toast usually, or plain...depends on my mood. But Im really getting tired of it. I think I got some good tips here..adding more side dishes to our meals and making plates before I serve them. Now I just need to work on next weeks and months meal plans! Thanks alot everyone! More tips and tricks are always welcome!

Advertisement

Dahlia64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I only just put these two together even though you did totally say both that you were skipping meals and that you are pregnant.

OP, you need to start eating first. I am honestly shocked that your DH will eat three burgers knowing that you will not eat. There's no way my DH would have let that fly. There are MANY MANY times where DH would go without food himself to make sure that I sat my butt down and ate. At the minimum OP, make yourself your burger, then set it aside, and make everyone elses. Afterall, if mom passes out because baby in the belly needs more food, then no one gets a burger, right?
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here a few suggestions to stretch the meat portion further:
For burgers I used to mash up a can (or two) of black beans that were rinsed very very well and mix into the meat. If I didn't have beans then I used oatmeal. It bulks it up enough that a 1/4 of hamburger turns into at least 1/3lb. I also grate carrots and zucchini with my microplane (grater that is super super fine). I actually do that with all ground meats that are shaped like hamburgers, meatloaf, meatballs, hamburger steaks (Salisbury/smothered depending on where you are in the country ).
For chicken/pork as the main dish every one gets a "reasonable" portion for the first plate, once everyone has eaten ten they can get half of that portion for the second. If they still aren't full then they can eat more veggies or go hungry. I usually have three different veggies for most meals because I have somewhat picky eaters and I want to make sure there are two veggies that everyone likes. We always have a starch like mashed potatoes (mixed with half cauliflower!) or brown rice. That helps to fill them up when the meat runs out.
ETA: You need to fix your plate first before anyone else's and set it aside. Your kids won't be harmed if they don't get seconds. Your baby may suffer if you don't eat properly.
To make things in large batches use your oven or crockpot.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 04-27-2013 at 08:23 AM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia64 View Post
Not only am I pregnant but I also have a 5 month old who will be joining us at the table. Did I say I was pregnant? I dont remember what I typed (LOL) I wasnt worried about the baby Im pregnant with(Im only 2 months pregnant..not yet anyways. But def worried about the baby thats about to reach 6 months old and will be going to the dinner table soon! But...I do want a healthy baby and def dont want to deprive the baby of any vitamins or nutrients himself! or herself..(lol).
But heres what happens...I always make hubbys first because I feel...he works overnights and works hard to support us. He has a crappy schedule and dont get much sleep so I can stay home with the kids. I feed him firt becuase he needs to eat as early as possible because he has to go back to bed early evening so he can sleep until its time to go to work. SO Basiclaly I make his plate first and then little kid to big kid. By the time Im ready to eat..little kids are done and want more..Hubby is almost doen with his. He always says u can have the rest of mine or u can take my debit card and get something downtown. But I dont want to. I dont want to take from him or the kids! I dont want to take his debit ($$$ that we can use for something we may need in the house...dish detergent etc) and get soemthing from the deli becuase then Im taking away from what we may need later in the week! SO I settle for pb toast usually, or plain...depends on my mood. But Im really getting tired of it. I think I got some good tips here..adding more side dishes to our meals and making plates before I serve them. Now I just need to work on next weeks and months meal plans! Thanks alot everyone! More tips and tricks are always welcome!
Aw, you sound really sweet and so does your husband. But you absolutely NEED to eat! Even if it means you eating first before serving everyone else and yeah making more like everyone is saying. Maybe you can try to figure out a meal/snack schedule so you all eat together as much as possible... I finally did this with us and it's working out pretty amazingly; I wish I did it before. We still don't always eat together b/c my husband has a weird work schedule too but are getting there... (but yikes, at least he doesn't work nights, I can't imagine, and while pregnant and w/ a 5 month old! )
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
Dahlia64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
Honestly, I know pasta is an "easy" meal for a big family, but IMO, it's NOT usually growth spurts when they're eating a ton of pasta (or grains) or super salty foods (sausages) or any kind of processed food, which leave people feeling "hungry" for various reasons: lack of real nutrients combined with salt, fats, sugar & starch which leave people wanting more, dehydration from too much salt/not enough water, misinterpreting thirst for hunger, etc. (Not that sugar, salt, fat & starches are always a bad thing - but I believe it's a big part of the reason why people are so addicted to certain foods.)

It's hard to break away from in our culture which pushed grains for so long (and still does) or a culture that is still pretty heavy on the meat, but pasta is really not a healthy meal in the first place. I KNOW I used to eat way too much of it...because I liked it and it was my favorite meal, not because I was actually that hungry; it could've also been partly b/c of the serious lack of nutrients in processed foods. Our LO's could eat tons of pasta if we let them - same with things like cold cereal, my siblings & I could easily eat 3 bowls of that stuff! So we don't do pasta or cold cereals any more, and I try to limit the grains and focus on healthy & filling fats, starches, proteins, vegetables, etc. and making vegetables the "star" of each meal. It took us awhile to get to this point though... but I see how my siblings eat and how I used to eat and don't want to pass that on!

I also agree that you shouldn't have to go every night only eating toast, esp. while you are pregnant and that your husband shouldn't be eating so much while letting you go without a proper dinner!! Can he help you cook at least? Even just cutting veggies?

I know pasta isnt good or healthy anyways. Starches make my kids either lazy or hyper Ive noticed! Its weird..most of them Lazy but 2 of them get EXtremely hyper if we have soemthing like mash potatoes or pasta with butter (a fav here) and I totally agree with you on eating more. Pasta is my fav and I could eat a pound to myself prolly becuase I love it so much (LOL) Not really but I could eat alot and the majority of the kids are pasta lovers as well. One child and hubby dont care for pasta. I make the child eat it....hubby eats it but its not his fav...neither are potatoes...well he likes potatoes as long as they have sour cream to go on them. I just find different ways to make them. But we go thru prolly a 10 lb bag in one meal for us. Do u have any examples of clean healthy starches?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Dahlia64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclanof6 View Post
Here a few suggestions to stretch the meat portion further:
For burgers I used to mash up a can (or two) of black beans that were rinsed very very well and mix into the meat. If I didn't have beans then I used oatmeal. It bulks it up enough that a 1/4 of hamburger turns into at least 1/3lb. I also grate carrots and zucchini with my microplane (grater that is super super fine). I actually do that with all ground meats that are shaped like hamburgers, meatloaf, meatballs, hamburger steaks (Salisbury/smothered depending on where you are in the country ).
For chicken/pork as the main dish every one gets a "reasonable" portion for the first plate, once everyone has eaten ten they can get half of that portion for the second. If they still aren't full then they can eat more veggies or go hungry. I usually have three different veggies for most meals because I have somewhat picky eaters and I want to make sure there are two veggies that everyone likes. We always have a starch like mashed potatoes (mixed with half cauliflower!) or brown rice. That helps to fill them up when the meat runs out.
ETA: You need to fix your plate first before anyone else's and set it aside. Your kids won't be harmed if they don't get seconds. Your baby may suffer if you don't eat properly.
To make things in large batches use your oven or crockpot.
I think the only thing that would actually work would be the black beans. I dont think the other stuff would fly very well, LOL! I always have black beans and chic peas on hand (always) because I put them in salads. My family does loove salad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
Aw, you sound really sweet and so does your husband. But you absolutely NEED to eat! Even if it means you eating first before serving everyone else and yeah making more like everyone is saying. Maybe you can try to figure out a meal/snack schedule so you all eat together as much as possible... I finally did this with us and it's working out pretty amazingly; I wish I did it before. We still don't always eat together b/c my husband has a weird work schedule too but are getting there... (but yikes, at least he doesn't work nights, I can't imagine, and while pregnant and w/ a 5 month old! )

Its hard but not super hard. Its hard at night time when I dont get any sleep becuase the kids wake numerous times at night! That drives me crazy...like for example...toddler number 3 dont want to go to bed until like midnight so I finally get him to bed and then lay down and next thing yanno baby is crying for a feeding...so I feed him..by this time its about 2amish...Get him layed down and my toddler number 2 is waking...BLAH! I change diapy...FIIINALLY get here to sleep and its like 4:30...Then Toodler number 4 wakes and wants to be up the rest of the night. I move him to the couch otherwise he will wake EVERYONE (if he hasnt done this already)..he wants to watch tv and something to eat. SO I grab him a snack...lay down on the opposite side of the couch..just about to sleep and now he wants a drink. BLAH! I get up..get him a drink and then lay down and the sun is comming up or its time to get my public school kid up for school. SO I roll off the couch, get him up and ready with my eyes closed....hubby finally comes home and takes him to school. I lay on the couch from 7-9am and get up with the other kids and start aking breakfast and homeschooling. This happens about 4 out of 7 days a week! IT SUCKS!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia64 View Post
I am going to also suggest that you stop setting food out until it's all done. And start managing portions a bit better. Meaning, cook enough food for everyone to have a regular sized portion, and tell them "ok, there's enough here for everyone to have two cheeseburgers. Once it is gone, if you want more to eat, you will need to go make yourself some peanut butter toast or have some cereal or something.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #28
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
I am going to also suggest that you stop setting food out until it's all done. And start managing portions a bit better. Meaning, cook enough food for everyone to have a regular sized portion, and tell them "ok, there's enough here for everyone to have two cheeseburgers. Once it is gone, if you want more to eat, you will need to go make yourself some peanut butter toast or have some cereal or something.
Agree. Not to mention they need a round diet. An apple before seconds. Or whatever. Lots of tricks!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
Dahlia64
Banned

Another question I had was I wondered what your grocery budgets were...(the mamas with big families) We put $725 away each month for groceries..and we usually use it all and then some towards the end of the month. This includes NOTHING but food. Well..food and drinks...milk etc. I am thinking of signing up for WIC. Im almost positive that we will be elligable for this...it will help with milk, cereal, juice and bread I believe...prolly not much bread but some. Oh and cheese. But anyways...going for a goal of not dipping into more $$ after the $725 is gone. And I really think Wic will help with that
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #30
DallasK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure they would help since you mentioned u have little ones. Are the kids all yours and your dh's? Sometimes with blended families it can be complicated, my gf went to get assistance and her ex had already applied and been getting help the whole time.