Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pica in a 1 year old?

My ds2 1 year old loves to eat lotion. we use aveeno eczema relief which helps his skin fabulously. But he keeps eating it. Like squeezing it and putting it on his finger and then eating it.

Is that a sign if iron deficiency? Pica?

Advertisement

menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pica in a 1 year old?

sounds like it. just use a chewable vitamin daily and see if that helps.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Well it can't hurt to have iron levels tested.

But for eating just lotion, I don't know that that in and of itself I would consider Pica. Does the lotion have a scent? A lot of times, kids are drawn to eat/lick things like lotion or hand sanitizer or even paste just because of the way it smells.

My 2 yr old is having her iron levels tested at her next doc appointment. Her DT and her OT do think it's possible that she has pica. She has eaten the drywall completely off one corner of our living room. She seeks out paper to eat, specifically books and the inner bindings. I have found partially eaten crayons in her diaper. I just, as I was typing this, just pulled a coarse bristle brush (think like a shoe shine brush) that I don't know where she got it out of her mouth. I have caught her licking doorway floor mats and bathroom drains (SO GROSS!!!) and she has lately started seeking out shoe bottoms to lick the mud off. She mouths/licks/tastes every single non food she can find, but refuses to eat most actual foods.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's hard to say because he's only one and toddlers are strange creatures. I would do as the previous poster said and see if he stops.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I would guess its just because it tastes good (don't all their products have oatmeal in them?) and I'd put it up where he can't reach.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory
I would guess its just because it tastes good (don't all their products have oatmeal in them?) and I'd put it up where he can't reach.
I think so too. My DD2 rushes to dig her hands in the CJ's Butter and eat it any time I have it out. She'll rub her hands on her body where it is then lick them. Over and over. It smells good. I imagine it tastes pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

ya know, we joke about the 11 mo old having pica. He likes to suck on rocks, as in, he seeks them out and SCREAMS when you take them out of his mouth. But he has been this way since he could pick stuff up, though. That and paper, coins, etc. My 16 yr old was the same way and I didn't know about pica then. Or at least that it could occur in babies. I don't really think the baby has it, but now i am wondering :/
Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
Annedee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
She mouths/licks/tastes every single non food she can find, but refuses to eat most actual foods.
If she is anemic, flavorful foods will make her nauseous and take away her appetite. Try feeding her really boring foods that don't have much flavor, like plain spaghetti or bread.
Annedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it was all my 1 year olds had pica. I think it is just a exploring textures and figuring out what is food and what is not thing. Unless it is as extreme as someone else mentioned where they were not eating food and only non food items I wouldn't worry. It is common for the age group. My kids all stopped well before 2 but they tried to eat non food items at 1.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 04-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote