Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ideas for sugar/grain-free breakfasts and reduced sugar lunches?

100 days of real food blog has some awesome ideas for grain free/sugar free/processed food free. She posts what she packs for her kids for lunch almost everyday. You don't have to swear off sugar completely to feel better. Make sure to steer clear of highly processed sugar like powdered sugar, refined white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and sneaky label covers like sucrose, fructose, and glucose. Our body isn't designed to digest these processed sugars. I found when I replaced my sugar with unbleached cane sugar, real maple syrup, molasses, honey, or agave nectar my energy levels improved. I also cut out enriched flour aka all purpose flour, artificial food dyes, artificial flavoring, and processed foods in general as much I possibly could. My blood sugars are stable and before I got pregnant I had gone down two dress sizes in one month without dieting or exercising. I actually crave fresh fruits and vegetables now.

Anyway, congrats on eating healthier! Pinterest also has a ton of recipes for special diets. Here's the link to my recipe board. http://pinterest.com/4shorern/recipes-and-quick-cooking-tips/

Advertisement

Last edited by 4ShoreRN; 05-01-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: forgot link
4ShoreRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
cjs0405
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbakke View Post
Here are some blogs that have many recipes ideas, They are both follow the sugar and grain free way of eating.

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

http://satisfyingeats.wordpress.com/
Thank you! When I did a Pinterest and Google search it didn't turn up much. Maybe I was searching too specifically.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
cjs0405
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ShoreRN View Post
100 days of real food blog has some awesome ideas for grain free/sugar free/processed food free. She posts what she packs for her kids for lunch almost everyday. You don't have to swear off sugar completely to feel better. Make sure to steer clear of highly processed sugar like powdered sugar, refined white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and sneaky label covers like sucrose, fructose, and glucose. Our body isn't designed to digest these processed sugars. I found when I replaced my sugar with unbleached cane sugar, real maple syrup, molasses, honey, or agave nectar my energy levels improved. I also cut out enriched flour aka all purpose flour, artificial food dyes, artificial flavoring, and processed foods in general as much I possibly could. My blood sugars are stable and before I got pregnant I had gone down two dress sizes in one month without dieting or exercising. I actually crave fresh fruits and vegetables now.

Anyway, congrats on eating healthier! Pinterest also has a ton of recipes for special diets. Here's the link to my recipe board. http://pinterest.com/4shorern/recipes-and-quick-cooking-tips/
I could never give up sugar completely! Lol thanks for the links!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
4ShoreRN
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs0405 View Post
I could never give up sugar completely! Lol thanks for the links!
Yea a few changes can make a big difference. You don't have to go nuts to feel better. I was having problems with weight gain and my blood sugar so I changed my diet drastically. If you are doing more of a lifestyle change than a necassary health change you don't have to go to the extreme like I did. There is a gluten free group on pinterest. Just search gluten free recipes.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
lauraz76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've made similar changes in our household within the past year. I realized how many 'carby' snacks DD was eating - cookies, crackers, cereal, etc. So I stopped buying them, and of course she asked about them, wanted them, etc (we don't have a lunch to pack yet). She wouldn't eat the 'healthier' snack options - until there was nothing else :-). Now she'll eat nuts, cheese, dried fruits, etc.

As for breakfast, we struggle with taht too. We get a pastured hog from a local farm, and it comes with tons of breakfast sausage, so that's a frequent option for us. also, there's tons of yogurt options out there now - can be more expensive of course. Also, I"ve switched us to grassfed butter (Kerrygold brand); lots of the 'natural' eating blogs talk about it! My family loves this switch in particular :-D
lauraz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #16
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For grain & sugar free, I just make what would typically be considered as dinner for breakfast if I feel like it (perhaps minus the meat, but I do like fish so sometimes we have fish & veggies for breakfast) or I'll eat a big salad... there are a million ways to make salad (and tasty ones at that) I'm finding! Sometimes we just eat leftovers for breakfast too.

This morning I had a banana w/ almond butter and then for a late breakfast I had some avocado mixed with a boiled egg and a salsa from Whole Foods with only good ingredients - no sugar, nothing unrecognizable in the ingredients list. It was so good and filling!

If you make stuff in advance you can just take it out of the fridge and heat it up too (like baked sweet potatoes) Plain whole milk yogurt is a common breakfast here too and we do like to mix it up with cut up bananas.

I do coconut flour pancakes from time to time but they're not my favourite. LO's love them though.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
cjs0405
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraz76 View Post
We've made similar changes in our household within the past year. I realized how many 'carby' snacks DD was eating - cookies, crackers, cereal, etc. So I stopped buying them, and of course she asked about them, wanted them, etc (we don't have a lunch to pack yet). She wouldn't eat the 'healthier' snack options - until there was nothing else :-). Now she'll eat nuts, cheese, dried fruits, etc.

As for breakfast, we struggle with taht too. We get a pastured hog from a local farm, and it comes with tons of breakfast sausage, so that's a frequent option for us. also, there's tons of yogurt options out there now - can be more expensive of course. Also, I"ve switched us to grassfed butter (Kerrygold brand); lots of the 'natural' eating blogs talk about it! My family loves this switch in particular :-D
My family consumes a lot of butter so that's a great suggestion. Where do you get your Kerrygold? I wonder if Trader Joe's has it.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #18
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes grocery stores have Kerrygold and I've heard of Costco carrying it but haven't had a chance to look.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
krispy79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn
For breakfast, I like plain yogurt with fruit. Still some sugar, but they are natural sugars. You could also add something like sausage or low-sodium ham.

For the school lunch, maybe try swapping the gogurt for something less sweet, like string cheese or cottage cheese. For the sandwich, maybe she'd like pb with bananas or apples instead of honey.
My suggestion were also going to be a Pb& banana sandwich (my favorite) and a cheese. Cheese sticks or cut up little cubes (in my experience little cubes of foods always go over well, or if you use a wavy knife). You could also try adding some cucumber slices. As for the pb & banana, my ds loves when I flatten out the bread (good way to sneak in whole grain) spread on pb, then wrap it around the banana.

I like eggs for breakfast, omelets mostly I never get tired of mushroom, spinach, and feta omelets. You can really eat eggs so many ways.

Is Someone Hurting you? You can talk to me 1.800.838.8238
krispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
cjs0405
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy79 View Post
I like eggs for breakfast, omelets mostly I never get tired of mushroom, spinach, and feta omelets. You can really eat eggs so many ways.
That sounds delicious!