Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question re public school problem.....standardized testing.

Wondering if anyone with kids in public school or teachers have any idea's or help for me? I know from previous threads you guys know a lot about standardized testing and what it means to the school etc.

We just moved to Indiana, kids started school 2 weeks ago. DS1 is in 3rd grade. His principal told me that as he missed the IREAD test (for reading ability) that he will have to take summer school for 3 weeks, mornings only, be bused 20 mins away. Then take the IREAD at the end of the summer. Otherwise he would have to repeat 3rd grade.

As he missed the ISTEP(Indiana state standardized testing) also they are trying to get his from IL (ISAT) to see if that will help. But, I know I picked him up from school on day 2 of ISAT due to stomach flu, nurse called me to get him. He claims he "retook" it but I don't think so Obviously I will call previous school on Monday to find out, new school don't have his records yet either. I just found out on Friday on day 3 of a migraine, so not the clearest day I've had......

Principal knows it's nuts and is trying to get him out of this with the superintendent. Another high ability student is in the same situation as he was sick during the IREAD 3 day test.

What are my choices? Some other mama's (on fb) have suggested to pull him out/re-enroll?

Hope this makes sense.

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

What do they do for homeschool kids? In our state the parents just administer the test at home. Can you ask if that is an option? Why can't he just take the test now. It seems ridiculous to have him go to summer school. Or can he just join the kids at the end of the summer when they take the test?
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Question re public school problem.....standardized testing.

I am not sure they will let you pull him and re enroll him in the next grade next year. They normally keep track of things like that. Sorry mama, that sounds like a awful system in place.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I believe homeschool kids would have had to take it in the spring also....I have no idea but just guessing.

But....honesty this is a public school issue, not homeschool. I know for a fact there is no retake exept for the end of the summer.

I've been researching it since posting and seems it caused a lot of controversy as this one test can hold a kid back a year, even two. Petitions signed and everything.

There is a "good clause" to get a child out of being held back, so I'm thinking my best bet is that as we just transferred and he wasn't even enrolled at time of test that would be a "good clause" to get him out of it.

I know the superintendent and principal are both trying hard to get him out of it. He's been at the school 2 weeks and already his teacher knows he wouldn't need to do this reading summer school.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
I am not sure they will let you pull him and re enroll him in the next grade next year. They normally keep track of things like that. Sorry mama, that sounds like a awful system in place.
Yes, I'm not sure either From my research it's a newish test(spring 2012) that a lot of people are unhappy with.....

I also told the principal(and she agreed, lol) that next time the testing is on I will be breaking the school "rules" to not send a kid in puking, no fever for 24 hours etc if this is the consequence.......
Old 04-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh

But....honesty this is a public school issue, not homeschool. I know for a fact there is no retake exept for the end of the summer.
I know, but homeschoolers have to do the tests too and are overseen by the public schools in your district. I was simply trying to see if there was a way for you to administer the test.

If they are requiring the test maybe you can just have him do the retake and not he summer school.
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie180 View Post
I know, but homeschoolers have to do the tests too and are overseen by the public schools in your district. I was simply trying to see if there was a way for you to administer the test.

If they are requiring the test maybe you can just have him do the retake and not he summer school.

I will definitely ask about that, thanks.

I have a feeling it's not an option though as otherwise she would have suggested that.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its the law in Indiana...either pass IRead or you have to stay in third grade reading.

Serious, our state legislature made this a law that they have to pass it to progress. HEA 1367 If you take ISTEP+, which we do next week, you have to take IRead too.
The I
READ
-
3 Summer Retest is for Grade 3 students who:

did not pass IREAD 3 in March and have since been provided
reading remediation/intervention

were absent during the March test window

moved into Indiana after the March test window and before the end of the school year

received a Medical Necessity approval for the Spring test

Here are the only kids that get out of it...
http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/...tember2012.pdf

What you CAN do if you don't want to do the test this summer... Ask that he be in fourth grade everything but reading next year. He will go to a third grade reading class. Its just not THAT much different. That is what they are doing in my district for all the kids that failed. Then, when they pass in fourth grade, they will all be promoted to fifth grade for everything.

Here is the state IREAD email...they might be able to help you too...

IREAD@doe.in.gov

http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/...tember2012.pdf
Sorry, the formatting on this cut and paste are crappy but...

In accordance with HEA 1367 (also known as PL 109 in 2010),students
who do not pass the Grade 3 reading assessment (IREAD 3)
will:

continue to receive instruction in Grade 3 Reading,

be officially reported as a third grader, and

fully participate in the Grade 3 ISTEP+ assessment.

It is the responsibility of the local school to design a program that meets
the learning needs of students. There are a
few exceptions to this rule (refer to the
Good Cause Exemptions; see next question).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-27-2013 at 11:59 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow I hope that it gets straightened out without him needing summer school.

I don't think that it is best to hold back kids who cannot pass a test anyway. That doesn't usually work especially for older kids past 3rd grade. They will still struggle but then they won't be with their peers.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Wow. That sounds rediculous.

But I understand your frustration. When we moved to Missouri from California firing ds2 kindergarten year they didn't want to let us enroll him even though it was 6 weeks until school released for summer. He passed cutoff in California but missed it by months here. We had to have him test out of kinder in California and bring a letter from the teacher and administrative staff that he had COMPLETED the curriculum. They still have us crap. If it hadnt been so important to acquaint him with the school before starting 1st grade (he is ASD and would have expected to go back to where he left) I wouldn't have bothered.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote