Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question re public school problem.....standardized testing.

THERE IS A DAMN GOOD REASON TONY BENNETT GOT VOTED OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, in the last election, a Republican won almost every election. Teachers in Indiana rallied for Democrat Glenda Ritz, and our grass roots efforts got her elected. Things are changing, but she cannot change laws, and the Republican controlled legislature is pissed that she won, and doing everything they can to stop the changes she is making. So...they are legislating stupid stuff like this.

Sorry Florida. You guys are screwed. Bennett is your new head of the DOE. God help your teachers. He royally destroyed education in Indiana. Thank goodness the voters did the right thing and voted him out here. At least here, the head of the DOE is an elected position. In Florida, it is appointed and your governor picked one of the worst possible candidates for the job.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-27-2013 at 12:06 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it were me, I'd push for skipping the summer school and just take the test when the summer school kids take it. It seems like that would make the most people "happy" with the situation as it's presently structured.

I'd also find out who your state level reps and senators are and contact them about the situation. They are the ones who put the law in place and they need to hear from those it is malfunctioning on. The more individual issues they know about, the better they can revise the law to make it work for everyone. Also, contact the state board of ed so they can figure out better ways to execute the law that don't involve unnecessarily holding kids back.

Really it's NOT the student's problem in this case. It's the education system's problem that they can't get a proper assessment of an incoming student for proper placement. It's also a waste of resources to spend 3 weeks in summer school without knowing the student needs that additional instruction time.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes....luvsiola, I think I spoke to you before about the schools out here before we moved.

I agree that I will contact the state rep to let them know how this isn't working for all despite it's original reasoning(to have no kids left behind in reading).

I know another parent last year went to the papers/press after her son failed it by 3 points. But this and the other student who has to sit in as well(high ability) is just crazy.

We will see what happens when I get in touch with previous school on Monday. I was hoping somebody knew a loophole as you guys are good with knowing about the testing etc whenever I see a post about it.....one a few weeks ago for example.

Part of the problem is in moving you just don't know what you are going to get......
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
mkrisel
Registered Users

There has to be a way sound this! State tests vary greatly, and don't even measure the same standards always! Boone states have a law around 3rd graders reading on grade level to pass (research shows this is the critical tipping point-if you're not on grade level in reading by 3rd grade, you most likely never will because of the switch from learning to read to reading to learn). Huge hugs to you and hope you find a solution quickly that isn't ridiculous!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is there any way you can pull him out to "homeschool" the rest of the year? Then enroll him in the fall as a 4th grader returning from homeschooling?

Get an official homeschool number from the state, so you are official. If he doesn't take ISTEP and wasn't enrolled on those dates, then they can't make him have to take I-Read.

Your principal probably isn't allowed to suggest you homeschool the rest of the year, but might be willing to work with you if you do it...

https://dc.doe.state.in.us/DOEOnline...ool/entry.aspx
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-27-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can ask her about the homeschooling. Honestly I really don't want to as we JUST moved here, he is forming bonds with friends and all that. Honestly it would be in HIS best interest to let him continue rather than pull him out and have to restart all over again. Mind you I haven't officially paid his fee's yet, ha!

I'm going to do all these calls on Monday and see what my options are.

It's just so.....stupid.....being the only appropriate word for it. And that's only this school and one other(other boy)......can't imagine the(should be) exceptions for all of Indiana going on???
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The rules for testing are ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous. At least this time the testing is all on computer.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Not to thread jack, but do private schools have to do this standardized testing too?
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Not to thread jack, but do private schools have to do this standardized testing too?
It varies by state and how they define schools. In Iowa, if the school accepts public funding then the schools have to follow public school rules. If the school doesn't accept public funding, then they have to fill out the CPI (same as homeschoolers) and can choose from those options (portfolio, supervising teacher or standardized test). I have no idea about California though.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't think so, probably as pp said as to if they accept state funding or not. If they do then you abide by some of their rules.....