Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question re public school problem.....standardized testing.

I was googling to see if you can retake or make up for the ISAT(the IL test that he was sick for) and it is indeed be able to be retook the second week. So I'm hoping that he took this(he said he did) and if we have those scores than that should help our cause.

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Private schools have to take ISTEP too.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

What the heck? I teach in California I've never hears if that test. Is that their version of state standardized testing? We call it CSTs here. I can't believe they would make a kid repeat a grade if they just moved in. I know if we have a student who is newly enrolled, their CST dosent even count and parents have an option to opt out of the test.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yup, it is part of our standardized testing. And yes, the way the crazy law is written, every kid who doesn't pass it is in third grade reading the following year. Most districts are getting around it by putting the kids in fourth grade except for reading. Then, kiddo is going to a "special" third grade reading class that can move on its own so if kids are ready to move on to fourth grade standards, they can progress to meet the needs of the kids in that class. If kiddo passes the following year, then kiddo can be a fifth grader like everyone else.

Most kids pass it though. It is a pretty easy test. I am in an urban district and I believe we had 91% of our kids pass, and we are a 35% ENL district with a large SPED population. It solely measures to see if the kid knows how to read. If the kid can't pass it, the kid probably does need intensive remediation and a serious plan.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

Wow. What about the sped kids that don't pass? They are held back only once? I'm a sped teacher so these things are interesting to me. Most of my kids have been held back once by the time they reach me.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #26
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicymustard View Post
What the heck? I teach in California I've never hears if that test. Is that their version of state standardized testing? We call it CSTs here. I can't believe they would make a kid repeat a grade if they just moved in. I know if we have a student who is newly enrolled, their CST dosent even count and parents have an option to opt out of the test.

Yes it seems to be in addition to the ISTEP......plus I believe the do the MAP here too...but I don't think that affects the school or child....more of a snapshot of how they improve through the year.

Oh and another state test called DIBELS.........so 4 that I know of so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicymustard View Post
Wow. What about the sped kids that don't pass? They are held back only once? I'm a sped teacher so these things are interesting to me. Most of my kids have been held back once by the time they reach me.

I know that was one of the articles I googled...boy was really down he failed.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1st i thought legally your child does not have to even take the standardized test that you can opt out??
2nd flunking a 3rd grader on one test? How were his grades for everything else? Most of the time in elementary summer school is optional.
I know diff. states have different rules but this does not sound right. I owuld be calling the superindant myself.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm sorry. How frustrating. I agree on contacting state level representatives and letting them know how this is affecting your son.

We are in NJ and I hate standardized testing, too (I hate our governor, too, Chris Christie who cut funding on all things education, especially special education, that's had some major consequences for our family). I hope you can find a solution that will work for your son.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti View Post
1st i thought legally your child does not have to even take the standardized test that you can opt out??
2nd flunking a 3rd grader on one test? How were his grades for everything else? Most of the time in elementary summer school is optional.
I know diff. states have different rules but this does not sound right. I owuld be calling the superindant myself.

We just moved here 3 weeks ago so he wasn't even enrolled at time of testing........which is what makes it even more crazy his grades, stats in other school were average to high....like mostly b some a. Reading would be much stronger than math. This is summer school ONLY for reading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
I'm sorry. How frustrating. I agree on contacting state level representatives and letting them know how this is affecting your son.

We are in NJ and I hate standardized testing, too (I hate our governor, too, Chris Christie who cut funding on all things education, especially special education, that's had some major consequences for our family). I hope you can find a solution that will work for your son.

I am hoping his ISAT results can get him out of this.....otherwise I will contact state Rep and more. I suppose I have learner first hand the bad side of standardized tests....esp this one.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #30
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanbh View Post
Yes it seems to be in addition to the ISTEP......plus I believe the do the MAP here too...but I don't think that affects the school or child....more of a snapshot of how they improve through the year.

Oh and another state test called DIBELS.........so 4 that I know of so far

I know that was one of the articles I googled...boy was really down he failed.
Take a deep breath. Alabama has a slew of tests that are given, but they aren't given in every grade. My kindergartener is taking DIBELS and it is a one on one test that takes less than 15 minutes per child. My eldest is in 5th grade and will be taking the ARMT+ tests. This just means that for 5 days, he will do a portion of the test every morning. I think the longest test is an entire hour. They get done well before lunch and then get to do fun activities during the afternoon. He usually gets more recess time during testing week than any other time.