Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Antebellum
Banned

My Mood:
Advice on building a cheap and easy chicken coop?

I want to build a coop so we can have a couple hens. Nothing fancy, just functional. I am not that handy but can figure out simple projects. What excactly do I need to get a coop set up? My grandparents next door have a coop about the size of my living room! Huge! I don't want something that large. Thanks mamas

Advertisement

Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Badonkadonk Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: mikeandtiff
seller

Re: Advice on building a cheap and easy chicken coop?

I suggest checking out backyardchickens.com. On there you will find TONS of photos and detailed descriptions of small, medium, large and chicken tractor type coops others have done. I just built a coop (and I'm not a builder!) all by myself (meaning no help from the hubby) after looking at different coops on that site and taking ideas from my favorites to fit the space we had available.

I think the most important things are to plan something that will allow adequate size for the amount of hens you plan to have, including some sort of run/outdoor space they can scratch around in as nature intended. Predator proofing is big. Think ease of cleaning (deep litter method, or cleaning out more often- what fits your lifestyle?). Nesting and roosting options galore out there on that site too!

You can get creative too, and instead of building from scratch, pick up a structure from someplace like Craigslist, like a medium sized dog house or play house, and convert that into a coop.

Last edited by Badonkadonk Knits; 04-26-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Badonkadonk Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
vjbakke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice on building a cheap and easy chicken coop?

I agree, we found ideas for our coop on that website. Also keep in mind what your winters are like. Here we fully insulated ours due to our extreme winters.
vjbakke is offline   Reply With Quote