Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
NewMommy6111
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Genders And Room Separation

I think room sharing is so good for children. I do plan to have one girls room and one boys room when we have at least 2 of each gender. Children used to always share a nursery regardless of gender. If that's what the kids want, I would let them for now. When your DD complains then I would let her have her own space. As far as I am concerned with the puberty issue, boys and girls probably will be uncomfortable in the same bedroom during puberty, but you may want the same gender in the same room to discourage inappropriate behavior. I think your teenagers would be less likely to have sex with their bf/gf if there is another person in their room.

Advertisement

NewMommy6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
6yo DS1 and 3yo DD moved into the same room a few months ago so we could put DS2 in the smaller room with the crib. DD transitioned very easily from her crib to a twin bed, I believe, because she had DS1 in the room with her. It went much smoother than we expected.

When DS2 gets big enough to climb out of the crib, we will probably rearrange at that point. The crib converts to a queen so we will offer DS1 the option of moving into the smaller room with the big bed, which would put DD and DS2 in the twin beds, or he can stay in his twin and we will swap DD back into the smaller room and DS2 into the other twin.

We figure this buys us at least a few more years before we have to decide to add a room or buy a bigger house. The boys are 5 years apart and I doubt DS1 will want to share his room with such a much younger sibling forever. Well, not FOREVER, but at least until he leaves for college.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we're about to move 2.5yr old DS in with 5yr old DD. they'll be sharing a room until we move out of the place we are now & that wont be for 2-3yrs. they may still share after that if they want to.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm dealing with this now, but it sucks.
I have 3 girls and 1 boy.
We have a 4 bedroom house, but the 4th bedroom is downstairs.

We could move the big girls into the room downstairs, and DS(3) and DD(1) will have their own rooms for now, but I sorta feel bad for my older girls because *I* feel like I'm casting them away downstairs.

DD(1) crib is in her brother's room, but she sleeps in our room in the PnP at night, but in her crib/room during the day for naps.

All in all, I don't like boys and girl sharing rooms for extended amount of years, depending on age. I haven't found a comfortable age yet, but hopefully we have more kids, and all the girls will share the master bedroom (it's huge) and the boys will share the upstairs bedrooms (a large bathroom connects the rooms) and DH and I will move downstairs!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

We just moved my almost 5yo ds and my 2yo dd into the same room. Eventually our youngest will be in there too. We have a three bedroom and the kids couldn't have toys in their room, so we made a playroom and a bedroom for the kids.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I only have boys living and they are 11.5 and 7 and share a room (they do not want to be separated despite having another room they could use). When my brother and I were kids we shared a room until I was probably 10 or so. We did not need to share a room, our house had 2 extras, we were just more comfortable that way. Even after I moved to my own room my brother would often wander in when he woke in the middle of the night. He would just crawl into the bottom bunk of my bunk bed and sleep there. He never did sleep well.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote