Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Some thoughts - contractions

Ok so I was thinking today. Contractions are contractions, right? BH are only contractions that aren't happening frequently or while considered in labor. When you orgasm you have contractions too, and that doesn't hurt (for me anyway!)
And I know BH can hurt, but for most women it's just a tightening feeling right?
And if there is pain, hydration and even a mild Tylenol help.

So if BH don't always hurt, and orgasm contractions don't hurt, why do you feel pain/ discomfort while in labor? Is it a combination of things? Are the contractions just that much stronger? Is it the muscle burning like when running?

Ramble with me! Any other thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

My best guess is that because of the hormones your body is releasing (oxytocin) the contractions are super strong which is why they hurt.
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
BH aren't the same though. It's usually a portion of the uterus and real contractions are the entire area.

Anyways, not sure. I feel painless BH in the front and then end up with back labor when it's time to actually have the baby. So they dont seem at all connected to me.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Interesting. Never thought if it.
For me, BH were more a tightening than real pain. Labor contractions were a "i feel like i have to take the worst poop ever" mixed with "these are the worst period cramps" x10
Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Some thoughts - contractions

Yes I think it does have to do with your uterus "burning" like you're running. When I started lifting weights after my first was born I really felt that there was a similarity there. This is why RRL tea and Vitamin D supplementation may help with labor pain- they make the uterine muscle more efficient and not have to work quite as hard during contractions for the same effect
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
birdinhand
Registered Users

There are other things going on as well with labor and contractions.
-The uterus contracting, which includes the first stage where the cervix is opening, and the second stage where the contractions shift to expelling and pushing (two different kinds of muscle movments and fibers used for them)
-the pressure that contracting uterus is putting on the other organs around it
-size and position of baby
-stretching of the vagina and perineum as baby comes down and out
-lactic acid build up
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually think contractions in labor don't hurt. I did the hypnobirthing and "learned" that labor doesn't have to hurt. I went in with that belief and found it to be true. It was HARD, tons of work. And there was some aspects of the whole process that did hurt, mostly things the midwives had to do.

the only natural thing that I found very uncomfortable, somthing I could call hurtting, was when I was effacing several hours before pushing labor. My thighs BURNED. That was really unpleasant.

I found earlier contractions fully controllable. I just focused on them - internally - (in and out of the tub) and breathed. When "pushing" labor started I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. I was floating in the tub and I could feel my uterus flip flop. The only thing I can compare it to is an gag reflex, that sorta uncontrollable flopping -- so neet! I was so unhappy when I had to get out of the tub at this point.

My entire labor was about 24hours and I pushed for 3hr (augmented with pit after about 2.5hrs.)

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 05-10-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Pixi my labor didnt really hurt either, it was exhausting but as soon as I could relax and get myself in the mindset it was just a matter of concentration. Mine was fast, 2-3 hours, and there was no break in the contractions. Pushing also felt amazing, I didn't have a ring of fire TG and I actually didn't consciously push, my body did it when it was time. There was a lot of "stop pushing!" And "I can't!!" Going on

Oxytocin is a feel good hormone, it wouldn't cause pain. You also have adrenaline and other endorphins which are also all feel good "self drugs". But built up lactic acid will, maybe that's why lower back massage while in labor helps, it keeps the build up to a minimum?

I could definitely see the cervix and canal opening up being painful, but I couldn't feel that at all, all I could feel were the waves of tightening and releasing over and over. I know my experience wasn't everyone's of course.

I just think the whole thing is fascinating <3
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of my contractions feel the same, the only difference is how strong they are. When I had back labor I also had back pain, and with one of my labors I had pretty intense pain in my thighs. But as far as my uterus contracting, it's always the whole thing, and the feeling is the same, just the intensity that changes.

Others pains are just results of the baby moving and those strong contractions, but I don't consider pain from dilating or stretching to be "contraction" pain, but an associated pain.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BH aren't the same for me. They are just a tightening and a discomfort. Real contractions were similar in that I could feel the tightening but they were combined with a really bad period-like cramping.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote