Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe
It's really trial and error while you figure out how your body responds to things. I found that my numbers were the best if I ate most of my protein first at breakfast. I was very sensitive to dairy, so I ate anything with dairy in the afternoon or evening.

I did end up on insulin. I was scared of the needles, but it really wasn't bad at all. Insulin actually gave me a bit more dietary freedom. I'm 8 days postpartum and still on insulin, but about half of what I needed during pregnancy.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Are you diabetic outside of pregnancy?

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyxmegan
Walking after each meal can also help. Just a short 15 minute walk. My dietician says even walking once a day can really help your body regulate sugars. I walk at least once a day anyway and have added a few walks around the block after eating to be safe.
Good call! I've been trying to do that after each meal as well and it has helped. I told the dietician I feel like its "cheating" to do that but she laughed and said, "its not cheating, it's healthy!"
Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

Are you diabetic outside of pregnancy?
No. Though my ob suspects that I had gd with my first two that wasn't caught.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe

No. Though my ob suspects that I had gd with my first two that wasn't caught.

That's what mine thinks as well. Mine were 10lb 12oz and 9lb 15oz. I had an unplanned cs with the first, a vbac with the second, and I'm really hoping for another vbac with this one.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: Looking for a GD support network

I had some high fasting numbers and found that really the only thing that is working for me is to have some ice cream before bed and get 8-9 hours of sleep. My fasting #'s are always significantly lower on the weekends because I sleep better. As for the ice cream, I read something on line about how your body dumps sugar into the blood as a way to ramp up upon wakening. Somehow the ice cream at night prevents the sugar dump in the morning.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblessedbaby
I had some high fasting numbers and found that really the only thing that is working for me is to have some ice cream before bed and get 8-9 hours of sleep. My fasting #'s are always significantly lower on the weekends because I sleep better. As for the ice cream, I read something on line about how your body dumps sugar into the blood as a way to ramp up upon wakening. Somehow the ice cream at night prevents the sugar dump in the morning.
Ice cream worked well for me too. My fasting is worse now with a newborn than it was in pregnancy. Good sleep helps a lot.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am in my fourth pregnancy with GD, this one is also twins. I have never needed meds, and have been able to keep things in control with diet and exercise. My GD hasn't ever complicated delivery and none of my babies had any issues after birth. My diabetes disappears almost immediately following delivery.

Its interesting that your care provider allows 140 as a 2hr after meals. That recommendation was changed in 2006 and again in 2011. Current recommendation by both ADA and American College of Obstetrics is 120, 95 for fasting. The 120 is much more difficult than the 140 I was allowed in 2004 with DS1.

For me, I cannot drink my carbs or my numbers go crazy. I eat the same thing every day at 6:30AM. My 2hr is in the high 90s. If I add a 1/2 cup of milk, I hit 115-120. A full cup of milk is high 130s. For me, small meals every 2 hours, really limiting portions, has been the most helpful over something like 25 months of GD.

GL!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE
I am in my fourth pregnancy with GD, this one is also twins. I have never needed meds, and have been able to keep things in control with diet and exercise. My GD hasn't ever complicated delivery and none of my babies had any issues after birth. My diabetes disappears almost immediately following delivery.

Its interesting that your care provider allows 140 as a 2hr after meals. That recommendation was changed in 2006 and again in 2011. Current recommendation by both ADA and American College of Obstetrics is 120, 95 for fasting. The 120 is much more difficult than the 140 I was allowed in 2004 with DS1.

For me, I cannot drink my carbs or my numbers go crazy. I eat the same thing every day at 6:30AM. My 2hr is in the high 90s. If I add a 1/2 cup of milk, I hit 115-120. A full cup of milk is high 130s. For me, small meals every 2 hours, really limiting portions, has been the most helpful over something like 25 months of GD.

GL!
I'll have to ask about that - she wrote down 140 in my book but you're the second person I've seen who has said 120. Is that testing at two hours or one? Mine is at one.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
I'll have to ask about that - she wrote down 140 in my book but you're the second person I've seen who has said 120. Is that testing at two hours or one? Mine is at one.
AHHHH, that's the difference. Our diabetic clinic, hospitals and OB practices here all use 2hr post meal testing, not one.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Thanks for the reassurance. :-). I've only got three full days charted so far. Only two of my post meal numbers have been high (my cutoff is 140, and I had a 154 and a 172) and I know I messed up the meal both times by forgetting to add protein and the 172 was post breakfast where I forgot a protein AND had milk.

Where I've had consistent (so far) high numbers has been my fasting numbers in the morning. I've tested at 116, 112, and 104 and my dietician said she wants 95 and lower. So that has me concerned. I've read a couple articles about causes of high fasting numbers and they just have me confused.
I think fasting numbers are the hardest to 'control'. My last pregnancy I had three or four high fasting numbers in the week that I charted so they recommended insulin. I ended up using glyburide instead, and that was easy no shots. I have done ivf, though, and the insulin needles are super thin (used them for lupron) and t was easy peasy. Nerve wracking the first time but after that you get used to it. Doesn't hurt!
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote