Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #21
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi

I think fasting numbers are the hardest to 'control'. My last pregnancy I had three or four high fasting numbers in the week that I charted so they recommended insulin. I ended up using glyburide instead, and that was easy no shots. I have done ivf, though, and the insulin needles are super thin (used them for lupron) and t was easy peasy. Nerve wracking the first time but after that you get used to it. Doesn't hurt!
Is the glyburide a pill? I'll have to research that and see if it sounds like a better option. :-) I'd much rather do pills than needles. :-/

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Keep a very detailed food journal, that will help you figure out what you can and cannot eat. Would you like some food ideas? I always thought it would be fun to get a few daily menus of what people ate. I'd be willing to share a couple days worth of menus if anyone was interested.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump
Keep a very detailed food journal, that will help you figure out what you can and cannot eat. Would you like some food ideas? I always thought it would be fun to get a few daily menus of what people ate. I'd be willing to share a couple days worth of menus if anyone was interested.
I think that's a fabulous idea! I'd love to see what works well for others and add some options to my own menu.

The only thing I've got really solid is breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, one piece of whole wheat toast and peanut butter. No milk at breakfast or my numbers are too high.

With my other meals I'm still experimenting with what works. My numbers are ok, but I haven't had anything planned. Just using the little visual aid they gave me with the food group categories and recommended servings of each.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

For the ice cream ladies;

We didn't have ice cream last night, so I had a bowl of fruity pebbles to experiment. We also took a two mile family walk last night, and I remembered to wipe my finger first before testing this morning. So, maybe too many variables to confirm that cereal is a magic bullet.

Also - I'm not required to take my sugar levels after my evening snack, but I was curious what that bowl of cereal would do to me at 1 hour, and my reading was 187. WAAAAAY over the 140. So even though technically it could have made my fasting number better, I'm concerned about what levels that high mean.

Tonight I'm going to try a proven healthy option (apple & PB & glass of milk) and test both levels again. As well as the two mile walk and cleaning hands before testing.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I had ice cream for my snack it was a small amount to still stay within my evening snack carb allowance and I paired it with almonds or a small protein shake.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #26
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe
When I had ice cream for my snack it was a small amount to still stay within my evening snack carb allowance and I paired it with almonds or a small protein shake.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Ok, that's helpful. :-)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Re: Looking for a GD support network

Ok, here was a REALLY good day for me. I was stuffed full the whole day and my numbers were also low all day. Disclaimer: I don't have a problem with fasting sugars, just my sugars in reaction to what I eat.

Fasting: 78 6:42 am

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with a splash of whole milk and cheese and a small amount of ketchup. Toast with butter and a tiny amount of honey. Shared with almost 2 year old. Black Coffee. Approx carbs: 25? Tested 20 minutes early as I had a dentist appointment at 8:45. Ate: 7:00 am BS: 107 Tested: 8:42 am

AM Snack: Handful of peanuts and 4 crackers. Diet coke. No more caffeine today! Not very many carbs. 10:00 am

Lunch: Turkey Sandwich with cheddar, mayo and mustard. ½ banana, small yogurt (yo baby), ¼ red bell pepper. I’m stuffed!
Ate: 12:50 pm BS: 97 Tested: 2:52 pm

PM Snack: Carrots with hummus and ½ banana. 3:00 pm

Dinner: Aunt Liz’s Chicken Casserole, no exact count on carbs, but quite a few as it contains white pasta and cream of mushroom soup
Ate: 6:12 pm BS: 98 Tested: 8:12 pm

Snack: Apple, String Cheese, Nature’s choice protein bar, and unsweetened Almond milk – Getting 45 grams carbs here seems like overkill, is 45 correct? Maybe its just that it takes lots more food to get 45 grams of carbs + the protein to balance it out than say, a bowl of ice cream.

I've got other go-to snacks and dinners I could share as well.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #28
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

When do you all take your fasting sugars? Should I be taking them upon waking? Or is it ok to get up and shower/dress before taking them?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Looking for a GD support network

I have always been told to take fasting immediately upon waking. Our bodies will start burning stored fat to make glucose once we are up and moving. That will make fasting numbers high.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #30
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE
I have always been told to take fasting immediately upon waking. Our bodies will start burning stored fat to make glucose once we are up and moving. That will make fasting numbers high.
Thanks :-) I've been taking it before I get up officially for the day, but usually an hour or so after a sort of "early wake up potty trip" for one of the kids. Should I be taking it during that first early morning wake up maybe? I usually go ball to bed for and hour or two before our family gets up for the day.