Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #41
ckramer528
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had GD with my last pregnancy and with this one as well (I'm due in June). With my last one, I had to test 4x's a day and was able to completely control it with just changes in my diet. I found anything with high carbs like pizza, cereal, etc. would spike my sugars too much. The first few weeks are definitely a learning curve until you figure exactly what foods do and don't spike your glucose levels. I saw a nutritionist right after I was diagnosed and she gave me guidelines to follow like how many carbs you should be able to eat per meal. I found that eating small meals high in protein and low in carbs 6 times a day helped (this also helped with cravings because I wasn't hungry all the time).

With this pregnancy, my fasting sugars have been higher than they want and due to when we found out I was GD, they immediately put me on a pill (Glyburide) at the lowest dose (1.25mg). I don't think, from experience, that they immediately put you on insulin without first trying the pill, especially if your numbers aren't really high over the baseline.

If you're concerned, definitely give your doctor a call and s/he can help ease your worry.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DS Forum

Advertisement