Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many books per day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff View Post
So far today we've read 3, and will probably get another 2-3 in by bedtime. I think my daily "goal" will be 6+, since most of ours are short (lots of board books), but I won't stress if we fall short. Thanks everyone for the input!
Lots of book suggestions in this thread, if you're looking for new ones!!
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1454378&goto=nextnewest

Advertisement

GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

4 at nap and 4 at bedtime always. Usually a few more here and there along the way as well.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #23
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
All of them

Hehe

She's 2.5 and all she wants to do is read. Before DS arrived 3 weeks ago, I would say easily 20-30 books. Or fewer books read that many times. Generally DH and I will only read a book 2x before we implore her to choose another.

But I don't think my DD is the norm. We have books everywhere and clean up at the end of the day is mostly reshelving books, as opposed to picking up toys.

With DS, I don't have near the time to read to her, but I still read about 10 or so and DH reads atleast that many in the time he's home.

And there's always a book before nap and bed and during diaper changes and bathtime sometimes turns into Storytime.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 04-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #24
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
All of them
Seriously, ha. That's how my daughter was. We own 200 board books because of my daughter's enthusiasm and the irony is my son cares very little for books. I try very hard and I never refuse him if he comes to me with a book, but it's not like the old days when my daughter and I read 10 books by 10 am. Now, I read 3 books at most to my almost 2 year old, and we don't use that standard of measure for my 4 year old much. I read maybe 4 picture books a day to her, like Elephant & Piggie, but we are finishing up The Hobbit at night.

My children are so different that the only thing they have in common is their parents.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do you all have the time? DD gets a couple 2-3 books in the evening, but it can easily take 20-30 minutes to get through the story & discussion after. DD has been mad for The Wee Christmas Cabin of Carn-Na-Ween just lately. That's a good 20 min to read the book, & we've read it for like 4 nights in a row. The book is then followed by about another 20 minutes of talking--about things like potato blight, what are tinkers & why wouldn't someone marry a tinker's daughter, death, magic, etc. I love it & I love that DD is inquisitive...she now tells people, "I am the Lorax & I speak for the trees!" b/c she asked a million questions trying to understand why we need to protect the trees & the animals, but geez! The thought of doing a close reading like that of 10-20 books a day just makes me tired! Especially once you add in that she then needs to "read" the same book back to me (reciting as much of the storyline as she can remember) afterward. Don't get me wrong, I WOH, so I literally couldn't pack that much reading and discussion time, & I know they read at least a couple books a day at DC, usually more, but 6, 8, 10, 20 books a day just feels like a lot
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Depends on the day. Some days we only read at bedtime. Other days, it's ALL day long. Today has been a major book day with both of my kids.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #27
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
We pick one book a week for the kids. (5 days). We read it, discuss. Re-read, act out etc.

But it is merged into our homeschool. This is what my DDs special needs class does as well.

But they arent board books, they are longer folktales/storybooks.

My kids pick out random books from the library all week that they can read/look at on their own.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #28
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38
How do you all have the time? DD gets a couple 2-3 books in the evening, but it can easily take 20-30 minutes to get through the story & discussion after. DD has been mad for The Wee Christmas Cabin of Carn-Na-Ween just lately. That's a good 20 min to read the book, & we've read it for like 4 nights in a row. The book is then followed by about another 20 minutes of talking--about things like potato blight, what are tinkers & why wouldn't someone marry a tinker's daughter, death, magic, etc. I love it & I love that DD is inquisitive...she now tells people, "I am the Lorax & I speak for the trees!" b/c she asked a million questions trying to understand why we need to protect the trees & the animals, but geez! The thought of doing a close reading like that of 10-20 books a day just makes me tired! Especially once you add in that she then needs to "read" the same book back to me (reciting as much of the storyline as she can remember) afterward. Don't get me wrong, I WOH, so I literally couldn't pack that much reading and discussion time, & I know they read at least a couple books a day at DC, usually more, but 6, 8, 10, 20 books a day just feels like a lot
I think it depends on the age of the kids. DS is almost 2, so our books are mostly short picture books and board books, we point things out and talk as we go, but real discussion afterwards. So for us, your one 20 minute book + 20 minute discussion adds up to about 8 of our books.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38
I dunno. Until 3 weeks ago, I was a SAHM to a single child. So... We did what she wanted. Which was read. I mean, I broke it up with going to the park, playgroups, library story time (lol)... But when we were at home... Thats what we did.

I have no clue how many books we have, but she has them all memorized. Even the long ones.

Wondering if DS will like the toys she ignores
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLump

I think it depends on the age of the kids. DS is almost 2, so our books are mostly short picture books and board books, we point things out and talk as we go, but real discussion afterwards. So for us, your one 20 minute book + 20 minute discussion adds up to about 8 of our books.
Also agree. We don't discuss for 20 minutes.