Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
mommy2boys2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What would you do? Regarding Possible IC

Some history:
When I was in Kuwait they have an ultrasound at every appointment. With DS2 they measured my cervix at 2.5 at 12 weeks (abdominal) and put in a cerclage. I had not problem with DS1 and had him at 42 weeks. I didn't question the dr.s who did the cerclage, I didn't know much about IC and had been having painful ctx. I had that cerclage removed at 36 weeks and didn't have DS until 39 weeks. I had switched dr.s during that pregnancy and he continued to say how I didn't need the cerclage..... DS3 at 20 weeks we saw funneling with my cervix, but it was still long, over 4. The same dr that delivered DS2 gave me the option to get anther cerclage, but after much research I decided not to, being so far along all ready they didn't have much of a success rate and with funneling but no shortening I seemed to have good odds, we just did modified bed rest and by 28 weeks the funneling resolved it self, I went to 40 weeks with him...... DD I had no issues at all with my cervix.
Now to my question.... I just moved to the states, the dr only does one ultrasound if needed. I have been having a lot of cramping and heaviness, and I know in reality that it is probably normal and that I don't need to worry about any cervical problems, but that small part of me remembers the past issues and wonders if maybe I shouldn't bring it up and asked to have a scan to be sure. Am I being silly? I have an appointment this afternoon and I can't decide if I should insist on an cervical scan. I am 18 weeks and if there is an issue I am reaching a critical time. Would you bring it up and push for a check?

Advertisement

Jamie, mama to DS-Daniel- 04-06-2005, DS- Michael- 06-16-2007(my birthday present!), DS-Samuel-12-13-2009, DD Abigail- 01-02-2012 baby #5 due October 1, 2013

Last edited by mommy2boys2007; 04-29-2013 at 07:54 AM.
mommy2boys2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2boys2007
Some history:
When I was in Kuwait they have an ultrasound at every appointment. With DS2 they measured my cervix at 2.5 at 12 weeks (abdominal) and put in a cerclage. I had not problem with DS1 and had him at 42 weeks. I didn't question the dr.s who did the cerclage, I didn't know much about IC and had been having painful ctx. I had that cerclage removed at 36 weeks and didn't have DS until 39 weeks. I had switched dr.s during that pregnancy and he continued to say how I didn't need the cerclage..... DS3 at 20 weeks we saw funneling with my cervix, but it was still long, over 4. The same dr that delivered DS2 gave me the option to get anther cerclage, but after much research I decided not to, being so far along all ready they didn't have much of a success rate and with funneling but no shortening I seemed to have good odds, we just did modified bed rest and by 28 weeks the funneling resolved it self, I went to 40 weeks with him...... DD I had no issues at all with my cervix.
Now to my question.... I just moved to the states, the dr only does one ultrasound if needed. I have been having a lot of cramping and heaviness, and I know in reality that it is probably normal and that I don't need to worry about any cervical problems, but that small part of me remembers the past issues and wonders if maybe I shouldn't bring it up and asked to have a scan to be sure. Am I being silly? I have an appointment this afternoon and I can't decide if I should insist on an cervical scan. I am 18 weeks and if there is an issue I am reaching a critical time. Would you bring it up and push for a check?
I would most definitely bring it up to your doctor. You should tell him all your past pregnancy history.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had 2 cerclages, 1 emergency and 1 planned. I would definitely bring it up and ask to be at least monitored.

Also if your cramping/contracting you can ask for progesterone shots. They worked wonders in my last pregnancy. I didn't have a single preterm labor contraction which was a first for me.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

I would absolutely ask. With DS I was put on bed rest at 29 weeks because my cervix was 1cm long. I just found out I'm pregnant with#2. I am with th same office and they know my history but I will be discussing a cerclage with them!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
mommy2boys2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What would you do? Regarding Possible IC

Thanks, I brought it up and he did a ultrasound with out any hesitation, cervical length was 6 so nice and long. I fell so relieved now.
Jamie, mama to DS-Daniel- 04-06-2005, DS- Michael- 06-16-2007(my birthday present!), DS-Samuel-12-13-2009, DD Abigail- 01-02-2012 baby #5 due October 1, 2013
mommy2boys2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
KrystleO_1027
Registered Users

Oh good! I'm jealous of your nice long cervix! Haha!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh yeah, you need to let them know your past and i bet any money they will get a scan immediatetly
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2boys2007 View Post
Thanks, I brought it up and he did a ultrasound with out any hesitation, cervical length was 6 so nice and long. I fell so relieved now.
That is good to hear. I am on modified bedrest with a IC and cerclage right now & it's good to know that there's a chance I won't automatically need another if I decide to get pregnant again in a few years.

Did your doctor give you restrictions on lifting or anything?
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote