Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:

DS is 5 and we have started doing some handwriting worksheets ( from this book) to clean up his print a bit. His letter forms are pretty good (as good as I would expect from him) but he can't seem to make them properly scaled. His lower case letters don't touch the bottom line and they come well above the middle line. His capitals usually come just a speck below the bottom line, but never quite make it to the top line. It's almost like the lines might as well not even be there!

The worst part is, he then gets very upset with himself for missing the marks. We really only practice wrtting (like 5 capital A's and 5 lower case a's for example) once, maybe twice a week, so I don't feel like I'm shoving it down his throat. Is that too much or too little practice? Is this something that fixes itself with practice or time? Is there something else I should be doing to help him preform better? Are there any tricks I should know about?

SDJeannieZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Handwriting

Since he's a boy AND he's only 5, I wouldn't sweat it! Remember that dexterity can be practiced with more than just writing! I would really push cutting on lines in different squiggles, coloring while reminding him to stay in the lines (focus being on teaching him about boundaries), and if he's interested in writing, check out It's free and it goes right along with Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I love the simplicity of how letter-making is broken down. I print these up and have my son practice them every week. Also, Confessions of a Homeschooler's Letter of the Week Curriculum has printables that I laminate so he can practice his writing. I don't know if you're familiar with Explode The Code, but they have a series called Get Ready for the Code, Get Set for the Code, and Go For the Code. It's a really simple and easy way to bring reading and writing together for our little ones. I think you would like that! Check it out! But fwiw, I wouldn't stress him or let him stress. He WILL learn and tell him that! Take a week or two focusing on another subject altogether to get his mind off it, and come back to it. We wouldn't want him to associate learning with failure this early. Hang in there!
I'm Kendra!
Missing our 4 Angels (11.04)(12.11)(3.12)(12.12)

Last edited by DrusL8y; 04-18-2013 at 05:10 PM.
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I did handwriting without tears with my son with great success. I bought the material but really you can just watch the videos and do it. We really just used the chalk board method.
anglee80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I noticed DD lately have been doing better (she's 6) but in the past she did get frustrated just like your son; I would just let him know it doesn't need to be perfect. I practiced a lot during 4th grade especially with cursive. Might be too early for him but I found the graphing papers to be perfect to know how big/small each letter is every time I wrote.
PBAki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
angel nee nee
Registered Users
My Mood:

Sounds like both you and he are doing excellent. I haven't really started helping polishing my daughter's handwriting, and she does the same thing. I'm not a pro, but if he's bored of writing and wants to mix up with other exercises, Perhaps he might benefit from some maze exercises?

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote