Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Singer Machine

I see that "old" or "vintage" Singer machines are often recommended here. I have my mom's old machine that she gave me and thought I had a crummy machine, but maybe I have something better then I though? Is this the "old" type that you all talk about? It works fine and does the job.

Yes, that is a straw holding the thread, the medal piece was lost by our movers. I think the thread does better on this though, it used to jump out a lot, but doesn't on this.

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

It's likely better than the garbage Singer puts out today, but the vintage ones to which people usually refer are the black, metal ones.

That said, if this one works, keep it! Gotta' be better than some of the trash ones sold at big box stores today!!!

I miss my 80s/90s one I used to have! Made Singer's top-of-the-line 2007 one look like rotten bananas!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Plus, it fits the cabinet! You won't have to wrestle fabrics!!! It's flush!

I'd say take it in and have it serviced!
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My Singer Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets View Post
It's likely better than the garbage Singer puts out today, but the vintage ones to which people usually refer are the black, metal ones.

That said, if this one works, keep it! Gotta' be better than some of the trash ones sold at big box stores today!!!

I miss my 80s/90s one I used to have! Made Singer's top-of-the-line 2007 one look like rotten bananas!
Ok, thanks! This has a plastic piece across the top, but everything else is solid. And I'm def keeping it. I sew very, very little. Hoping to change that though. I've had this for almost 6 years and my mom had it since I could remember before that. So it's not new to me, I just know nothing to very little about the sewing machine market. It's always been in the cabinet too, I guess mom got them together.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

It looks great! The new ones are all plastic and just junk. I got a new one while I was learning to sew and it lasted 6 months of heavy use and it literally started popping pieces off. Dh got me a new $200 dollar one and the same thing happened,plastic and gears do not mix. I have 3 old machines ,two from the 40's and a treadle one from the early 20's. I love them so much and they can just about go through anything. I bet once you get started with it and really learn your specific machines feel you will love it. Happy sewing!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That looks like it may be from the 80's or very late 70's. I find that funny because it reminds me I am practicality a different generation then most DS members. My mothers "old" machine is from the early 60's. You should be able to date it by the serial number, singer keeps great records and they are available online.

Those from the 60's and back are solid metal, most were black but the did make some other colors, green comes to mind. In the 70's they started using plastic on more parts.

I agree it will be better than a new Walmart machine.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That machine looks like the twin of one of my machines! It's not one of the "classics", and it has a limited capacity because all it can sew is a zig-zag or straight stitch, but it is totally adequate. It's relatively fast and decently powerful, you can adjust the needle position and the foot pressure. I feel like it's not as smooth as another machine I have, but for how I use it it's fine.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk View Post
That looks like it may be from the 80's or very late 70's. I find that funny because it reminds me I am practicality a different generation then most DS members. My mothers "old" machine is from the early 60's. You should be able to date it by the serial number, singer keeps great records and they are available online.

Those from the 60's and back are solid metal, most were black but the did make some other colors, green comes to mind. In the 70's they started using plastic on more parts.

I agree it will be better than a new Walmart machine.
That would be about right, I was born in '87 and it's older then me (I think). I'll look up the numbers some time if I think of it. Mom made most of my clothes on this when I was little. Not sure I will deep down love sewing. LOL! It's a love hate relationship for me. I can rock the cloth wipes though.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
That machine looks like the twin of one of my machines! It's not one of the "classics", and it has a limited capacity because all it can sew is a zig-zag or straight stitch, but it is totally adequate. It's relatively fast and decently powerful, you can adjust the needle position and the foot pressure. I feel like it's not as smooth as another machine I have, but for how I use it it's fine.
Oh wow you have one of those fancy new fangled machines that can do a zigzag. Mine can only do a straight stitch but I swear the thing can sew through rocks.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
Oh wow you have one of those fancy new fangled machines that can do a zigzag. Mine can only do a straight stitch but I swear the thing can sew through rocks.
LOL! I do have an older Singer 66 that only sews a straight stitch; it was the machine my mom used as a little girl when she learned to sew; alas, it's not running. I think it just needs a new belt. I should really get it going and use it once in a while so DH won't complain about the space it takes up

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote