Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

When to go to the hospital??

You would think I'd know by now, I don't really want a hosp birth, but dh doesn't want to do u/c. There are no mw's nearby, and we couldn't afford one anyways.

Part of me wants to labor at home until the very last minute, and then have baby at the hosp, no epi, no iv's no restrictions, and make a very detailed birthplan including do's/don'ts etc, and go home asap.

Then there's the super lazy me that just wants to "enjoy" this last birth, pain free, being waited on, for a few days in the hosp,while my mil/mom takes care of my family, and without having to think about arguing or fighting for what I "want" for the baby. (other than no circ, that's non neg)

Anyways the point of this thread was IF I decide to labor at home then go in, (I live 3 min from the hosp, and mil lives across the street from it) how far apart should my cntx be etc? Any input/?'s fine.

Advertisement

Last edited by Andbabymakes2; 05-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Andbabymakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: When to go to the hospital??

I guess it depends on the last births? My doctor said don't come in until 2 mins apart and you can't speak on the middle of them because you are tired, but I was a wimp and went in waaaay before that!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

If you're 3 minutes from the hospy, you can wait a pretty long time! There's really no right answer, as no one can tell you how quickly you'll progress from first stage to transition to pushing, nor how long any of those phases might last.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
I guess it depends on the last births? My doctor said don't come in until 2 mins apart and you can't speak on the middle of them because you are tired, but I was a wimp and went in waaaay before that!
Ok this is what I was looking for, the timing of cntx! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tommy View Post
If you're 3 minutes from the hospy, you can wait a pretty long time! There's really no right answer, as no one can tell you how quickly you'll progress from first stage to transition to pushing, nor how long any of those phases might last.
VERY true!

All three of my l&d's were very different. 1st was induced,(13hrs from time I got first dose of cervadil to birth,but first cntrx was at 1am, born at 9am), 2nd was hb, and from first cntx to delivery was 4.5 hrs. 3rd started as u/c, 12hrs in, labor stalled, when in to hosp, epi, 12 more hrs before he came with the cord wrapped around his neck. So no idea, but I forgot to mention that it might now even matter after all, since I've asked to be induced if this one goes past edd. Very selfish reasoning being the school cut off is the 31st and I don't want him to have to wait an extra yr to start school. (both my girls have to) I feel so guilty for it but at the same time it's not like I'm asking for it way before the dd. IDK. I think I'm just turning into a nutjob at this point.

Last edited by Andbabymakes2; 05-02-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Andbabymakes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I go in when cnrx are 2 min apart. I live 20 min from my hossy, and I always make it. My conrx slow down as soon as I get there, smell the l&d ward, and hear babies crying. It just makes me emtional, and everything stalls for a bit.
I would say wait at home until you think you might be getting into transition. best of luck

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Last time I waited until the cntrx were 2.5 minutes apart. The hospital was 15 minutes away. We barely made it to the ER. I was pushing in the car. I'm totally doing that again. It was the only way I didn't get an IV.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
mommy2boys2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me I my hospital was 30 minutes away, I left when I started to feel like I wanted pain relief, by the time I got there I was in transition, by the time I got checked in and into a room I was pushing. I know once I start feeling like I can't do it anymore it is time to go.
Jamie, mama to DS-Daniel- 04-06-2005, DS- Michael- 06-16-2007(my birthday present!), DS-Samuel-12-13-2009, DD Abigail- 01-02-2012 baby #5 due October 1, 2013
mommy2boys2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When you start to not be able to talk to anyone and are really focusing in on yourself, that's probably a good time to go in. Just have someone ready to carry you to the car just in case you don't want to walk, lol.
I almost waited too late the first time; timing contractions did nothing for me. My contractions went from 6 minutes apart to 2 minutes/transition in about 1 minute, presumably when my water broke. I don't trust contractions!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My labor with ds2 was not textbook, my contractions were never close together until like the last 20 minutes, before then they were as far apart as 7 to 10 min. I finally called when I was not able to talk during contractions.

Instead of things slowing down on the way, they picked up and I'm pretty sure I made it through transition from the parking garage to L&D and seriously felt like having a baby in the elevator.

Ds2 was born 20 minutes after parking. No IV, no monitoring, one cervical check. It was crazy but awesome!

My point is, you can't always trust frequency of contractions. My labor with dd was very similar, it didn't matter because she was a home birth but I knew based on intensity if the contractions.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Andbabymakes2
Registered Users
seller

I think I'm just going to have some hb items JIC things progress crazy fast. But being so close and having a tiny hospital, like 27 total beds in the entire place... the l&d is two steps from the side door, so no parking issues, no long walks through the bldg. I know that labor can be unpredictable though. I think I am going to have a dress on so if something happens in the car I won't have to try and strip panties/shorts off. lol I've still got all my towels from my hb too. I've never had my water break until right before having my lo's either.