Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to go to the hospital??

I wanted to labor at home with my last as long as possible, but once I started thinking I might really be in full blown labor, I actually wanted to go in. I just wanted to be able to relax as much as possible without wondering do I need to go in now constantly, plus it was evening and I wanted to make sure DS was settled at my mom's house instead of having to wake him up in the night. I'll probably do the same thing this time...just personal preference I guess!

Just wondering...do you really expect to have to fight for everything you want during your delivery? I realize some hospitals are more difficult but I had zero trouble having the birth I wanted. The most helpful thing is making sure your doctor is is in agreement with your plan. I discussed with mine very early on what I wanted and he was supportive of all of it, I only had to compromise on a couple minor things. (Example, I didn't want an IV but he suggested having a hep-lock. Fine with me because it didn't limit my mobility and would have definitely helped things along in case things did go down hill.) If your doctor is on board with your desires, you can always just tell the nurses to give him a call if they want to question anything. That is also another reason that it may be helpful to get to the hospital earlier in labor...you will be able to express your desires a lot easier to the nurses when you aren't focusing everything on your contractions! Anyway...just wanted to give you an alternative point of view rather than waiting til the last minute. Hope you have a great birth

Advertisement

Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my cx where 2 min apart minutes before i gave birth. I would go in at about 4 mins apart....depending on your labors. If i had waited until they where 2 mins apart i would have had a baby at home or in the car.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It just depends! For this last baby, I woke around 1 am with contractions 2 min apart, waited a half hour to see if they would stop, then made arrangements to go in. I had 3 older kids sleeping at home and needed my mom to come over. I didn't want to wait too long and have to worry about childcare or having to bring them along.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
homeschoolkitty
Registered Users
seller

I am glad for this thread....

I had one hospital birth and 2 planned home births. The problem now I have a hospital birth due to $$ and I didn't know when to go in.

I remember when I would say to my husband at the home births! TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITAL! I WANT MEDS! then 2 hrs later I had a baby.

I know that regardless of what I want, as soon as I arrive to the hospital they will put the he-loc, make me sign stuff!, CHECK me (while I am having a contraction), then maybe leave me alone till my NurseMidwife comes. about 20 min tops (the louder I am, the faster they move). I want to be a water birth this time, I didn't make it the other times. and the hospital takes 20 min to fill the tub.

Now, once I am in the tub, All their checking will wait, and they can hear baby in the water with a non-strapping monitor. I don't mind that... but I will not need to be check every 30 min to see how dialeted I am.

I was not/am not sure when to go in! so reading all your experiences has been very exciting! and calming... I would wait if I could till transition, then go in. If I can tell.
homeschoolkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolkitty
I am glad for this thread....

I had one hospital birth and 2 planned home births. The problem now I have a hospital birth due to $$ and I didn't know when to go in.

I remember when I would say to my husband at the home births! TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITAL! I WANT MEDS! then 2 hrs later I had a baby.

I know that regardless of what I want, as soon as I arrive to the hospital they will put the he-loc, make me sign stuff!, CHECK me (while I am having a contraction), then maybe leave me alone till my NurseMidwife comes. about 20 min tops (the louder I am, the faster they move). I want to be a water birth this time, I didn't make it the other times. and the hospital takes 20 min to fill the tub.

Now, once I am in the tub, All their checking will wait, and they can hear baby in the water with a non-strapping monitor. I don't mind that... but I will not need to be check every 30 min to see how dialeted I am.

I was not/am not sure when to go in! so reading all your experiences has been very exciting! and calming... I would wait if I could till transition, then go in. If I can tell.
That doesn't sound like a great experience and I would hope that wouldn't be anyones.

In my limited experience, they told me I could refuse the hep lock if I wasn't having a vbac, but I was, so I had to have it.

And they were very considerate of when I was contracting, not to check me. I got the initial check when I came in and then not another one until we asked for it 4 hours later.

They never messed with me except when my monitors would mess up, which happened a bit cause I was laboring on a ball and the monitors kept slipping or when I was bent over, they'd make it seem like my heart beat was baby's. But the nurses just apologized and moved the monitors (again, continuous monitoring for vbac).

I also called in advance for the tub. For me, it was to reserve it, but for you, you might ask them to prepare it so you don't have to wait 20 minutes.

And you can go sign things in advance with some hospitals, so you might call and ask.

So I would go in assuming that you CAN get what you want instead of assuming the worst. In 2 births, both in hospitals, I only ever got checked when I asked. Both times, people would assume I was on a time table since my water broke before labor started, but both hospitals were like 'we're not worried'.

So I think people assume negative about hospital births, but I don't think it's a reality.