Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
linzerin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sleeping too long?

Ok mamas, I need some advice. My DD is 11 weeks old and is a fantastic sleeper, she goes down around 8 at night and sleeps until 6 am. Her pediatrician told me to consider myself lucky and he has no concerns with her sleeping so long at night since she is steadily gaining weight. Twice this week when I have gone in to change her in the morning, she has woken up dry. After 10+ hours! Also her lips are dry in the morning before her first feeding.

This seems like a long time to go without peeing to me, especially for a little 11 week old bladder. Should I wake her up in the middle of the night to feed her? I have been pumping at 10-11pm to try and protect my supply, but am I in danger of losing my supply? I have to admit, the sleep at night is really nice but I want to make sure she is safe!

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sleeping too long?

IMO, that's too long for a newbie to sleep without eating. I'd at least try a "dream feed" before you go to bed - maybe instead of pumping, try to get her on the breast to eat. She doesn't have to be fully awake to eat.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
StarGazerLily00
Registered Users

Is the baby nursing more often during the day to make up for it? Are there plenty of wet and dirty diapers in 24 hrs? If so, then I would let her sleep, or try the 'dream feed' as already recommended. Sleeping all night might only be a phase too...She might start waking up for feeds.
StarGazerLily00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
birdinhand
Registered Users

If she really woke up dry, imo that's a sign she needs more in that space of time -- I would try to nurse her at least once at night. And yes, it could affect your supply,
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
linzerin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, I was planning on doing a dream feed last night, but her schedule was all out of whack, she ended up napping from 6:00-8:30 (I woke her up at 8:30) so we did bath and bedtime feeding at 9:00, well then she was wide awake so I ended up feeding her again around 11 and put her down then. She slept later this morning (7:30 instead of 6:00) and when I went in her room, holy cow it was stinky!!

I changed her diaper (it was soaked) and it smelled terrible, like a perm in a salon. I am assuming this is ammonia? (we haven't had ammonia issues before). Is it possible she might have a UTI and just have really stinky pee?I plan on rinsing out her diaper as soon as she is done feeding because that thing is potent!

Any suggestions on a wash routine? I can post this over in Q&A since this is more of a diaper question now.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Sounds like ammonia issues. I would strip your diapers.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All of my babies have slept 830PM-6AM at 11 or 12 weeks. I do wake them every night around 1030 or 11, right before I go to sleep for a dreamfeed and dry diaper. As a tradeoff for sTTN, I have always carefully monitored my supply so it is sufficient. I have thrown in a few pumping sessions during the day for freezer stash and added demand to keep supply strong. The dry diaper thing is very odd though. GL!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote