Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
SammiPanda
Registered Users

My Mood:
This may be a silly question

Clearly I am a FTM. If your milk doesn't typically come in till day 3, is baby just not eating during that time?

Advertisement

SammiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: This may be a silly question

It generally takes that long if not longer for your actual milk to come in. Until then, your baby is getting colostrum. Your baby should be allowed to nurse however often and however long he/she wants as it is very important to receive colostrum and also to establish breastfeeding. Just relax and follow your instincts!
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

It is a good question because if you don't know the answer you may be thinking baby is not eating at all. Baby is getting colostrum during this time period. It is full of antibodies and very important to baby's immune system. Baby will appear ravenous and nurse frequently. As in every hour even. Baby's tummy is quite small though and colostrum is easily and quickly digested so empties fast needing filling again rather quickly. You will likely be left in absolutely no doubt what so ever when your milk comes in. However some women(me) don't feel the milk come in or even feel a milk let down. I knew when my milk came in because my baby nolonger needed to nurse quite so frequently. Instead of all the time(literally) she nursed more like every hour to every hour and a half. This does let up as baby grows though. You will not be tied to baby quite so much after a couple weeks. The constant nursing helps to establish your milk supply.

This appears to be a good sight for lots of good info. I haven't read it completely but did like what I saw. If you want more info you can google benefits of colostrom for babies. I did this and found at least half a dozen sites that looked good.

http://www.thenewbornbaby.com/colost...urs/index.html
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
SammiPanda
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you ladies. I'm just nervous and scared. I'm hours away from home without my husband, just waiting to go into labor. Nursing can't be that bad, tons of women do it.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammiPanda
Thank you ladies. I'm just nervous and scared. I'm hours away from home without my husband, just waiting to go into labor. Nursing can't be that bad, tons of women do it.
You can do it! Just nurse them anytime they want
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Be ready for cluster feeding too. When baby is about 36 hours old he/she will want to nurse nonstop, only taking small breaks to nap. It's rough, but go with it. Both of my girls did it, and a great LC told me its pretty normal.

BTW, if you are interested, you should be able to squeeze out a little colostrum now, if you want to see what baby will be eating.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
SammiPanda
Registered Users

My Mood:

These boobs aren't producing anything at all right now. I feel like they should, I'm 37weeks, I could have this baby any day.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Don't worry relax! Drink lots of water. My 2 girls I didn't feel like nothing in boobs & took 3 days to week for milk...but boy my boobs felt heavier than bowling balls & started right away with milk before we left hospital.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammiPanda
These boobs aren't producing anything at all right now. I feel like they should, I'm 37weeks, I could have this baby any day.
You're fine. I've never had anything before baby arrived some women leak early, but it is not a reflection on the ability to successfully breastfeed
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
You're fine. I've never had anything before baby arrived some women leak early, but it is not a reflection on the ability to successfully breastfeed
I never leaked prior to ds being born and i have a good supply. The baby nursing helps stimulate your milk to come in, so feed as often as you can!