Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Another dog food thread

So I purchased a bag of Blue Buffalo Senior Chicken & Rice for my 14yo Pug Jax.
He has been eating Purina One Smart Blend Chicken and Rice, which he apparently loves.
Ive been mixing the two together and he picks out he old dog food and leaves the blue sitting in his bowl, then he whines and barks for more of the old dog food. lol
The Purina has these "meaty chunks" in it and Im guessing he really likes those but he it's the kibble part of it too.

So what should I do? I mean it's not like he's got that many more years left in him, he's had a good run. Should I just give in and let him eat what he enjoys even if there are healthier options for him?
Ive tried switching him before and had the same issue but was hoping Blue would be different.

Is there another Blue he might like better? I think any of Blue's foods would be better than the Purina One?

He has a neurological disorder which affects his use of his backend area that affects his back legs and his ability to control his bowels/urination.
So I was hoping to find something that would help w/his digestion/output.

Any advice?

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bump
Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not much help but ours doesn't like Blue Buffalo either. We had her on Pro Plan and switched to Blue Buffalo weight control and she eats around these pieces in it and sometimes won't touch it at all. This is our second bag of it with no luck so we'll have to find another good diet food for her.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Do some research and see if a raw food diet would work for you.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Corgi
Registered Users

Re: Another dog food thread

I've worked professionally with dogs for 8 years and I must say... I've seen very few dogs do well on Blue Buffalo. It's a decent food on paper, and it's hugely popular, but I am not a fan.
On the same token, I can't recommend anything make by Purina, either. Ingredient list, ingredient source, nutrient profile, and company reliability/ ethics are ALL lacking. Those "meaty chunks" aren't actually meat. If I remember right, it's mostly soy protein. Soy really has no place in a canine's diet.
I don't think at any age, I'd settle on a lesser food, but we are borderline nutrition obsessed in our house, so you just have to figure where on the priority list the dog's nutrition falls in your house. That's going to be different for everyone. We personally feed our 6 (and wean/ raise our occasional litters on) a prey model raw home prepared diet, so perhaps we're just a little nuts.
Some of the brands worth looking into that have the total package including company reliability (lack of recall history) are:
Orijen/ Acana (pricey, but arguably the best quality on the market)
Fromm
Now!/Go!
NutriSource (I've probably seen more dog do favorably on this food than any other. I have no idea why, but every dog I meet on it seems to be in great condition.)
Halo (I have some serious issues with the fact they offer a vegan food, but that's just a personal hangup. Dogs are NOT meant to be vegans. What. A. Joke.)

There are plenty of other good brands out there, the problem is that most are made by companies with extensive recall histories, so I'd steer clear from anything made by Purina, (dog chow/ one/ beyond) Diamond, (diamond/ taste of the wild/ kirkland/ chicken soup) Nutro, and most other big box names. :-/ The commercial pet food industry is tough to navigate, and the more you know about it, the harder it is to find a food that is "OK"
someone new Nov 2015.
Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
peep_erz
Registered Users
seller

I agree with Corgi. Those meaty chunks are just soy and dogs really don't need soy in their diet.

I have my labrador on Earthborn Holistic and I am very happy with it. They have grain free and grain inclusive options if the grain free is too protein rich. They use good quality ingredients and the first ingredient is always a named meat. I know many people who use Fromm (one of the best mom and pop dog food companies) and rotate with earthborn Holistic.

If you are only doing it for health reasons and at the age that your dog is I wouldn't push it too much. If you are like me and hate giving money to companies you have moral oppositions to along with health reasons for your dog I would try switching.
peep_erz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dogs are super picky about food. I feed the 4health brand dog food (I got it a tractor supply). It's a 4 star rated food. They like it alright. I mix in a little wet food sometimes to give them some variety. 4health wet food is only $1 for a medium sized can (think soup can sized) and they love it. I just scoop it and mix it in with the food. I only use about 1/4 of the can each time, not the whole thing.
My dogs would prefer a cheap brand because they smell better. But they aren't healthy and all that smell and taste isn't real.
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just started cooking for my dogs for the upcoming week like I do the rest of my family. None of the bagged options looked as good as cooking for them at home. I did a ton of internet research first. Now my dogs eat like they've never been fed before. My obese golden retriever is getting back to his healthy weight. I use olive oil, eggs with shells, chicken livers, ground turkey, sweet potatoes with the skins, brown rice, green beans and carrots. I spend $35 a month for both dogs and make sure they also get crunchy treats.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As a matter of fact I have this weeks batch in the oven right now. After it cools I will separate it into individual portions. It looks gross, but my dogs love it.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesundbound
I just started cooking for my dogs for the upcoming week like I do the rest of my family. None of the bagged options looked as good as cooking for them at home. I did a ton of internet research first. Now my dogs eat like they've never been fed before. My obese golden retriever is getting back to his healthy weight. I use olive oil, eggs with shells, chicken livers, ground turkey, sweet potatoes with the skins, brown rice, green beans and carrots. I spend $35 a month for both dogs and make sure they also get crunchy treats.
Interesting. We have an overweight Golden. Not too big, but she needs to drop a few pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum