Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesundbound
I just started cooking for my dogs for the upcoming week like I do the rest of my family. None of the bagged options looked as good as cooking for them at home. I did a ton of internet research first. Now my dogs eat like they've never been fed before. My obese golden retriever is getting back to his healthy weight. I use olive oil, eggs with shells, chicken livers, ground turkey, sweet potatoes with the skins, brown rice, green beans and carrots. I spend $35 a month for both dogs and make sure they also get crunchy treats.
Do you have a recipe that you follow or just throw it all together? I have been debating doing this for my 3, but haven't actually tried it yet.

Advertisement

Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

At 14, just use what works and what the dog will eat.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another dog food thread

This feeds my two dogs, Clyde is a large golden and Bonnie is a medium size hound mix. I have been feeding them this for three weeks. It makes enough for 7-8 days. Bonnie's weight has not changed, she was healthy weight any way. Clyde has gone from 100 to 91 pounds. Once he gets closer to 80 I will see if his portion needs to be adjusted.

4 tbsp olive oil
6 large eggs
1.25 lbs chicken livers
2 lbs ground turkey
2 cups (uncooked) brown rice
6 sweet potatoes
16 oz bag frozen green beans
16 oz bag baby carrots

In one bowl mix olive oil, eggs with shells, turkey and chicken livers (cut up).

Boil carrots, beans, and cut up sweet potatoes with skins until soft (I use my biggest stock pot), then puree with water they were cooked in. (Dogs do not digest uncooked, whole vegetables).

Boil rice with 5-6 cups water until cooked.

Mix everything in one big pot then pour into baking dishes. Bake @ 375 for an hour. Let cool and divide into individual portions. I keep a few days worth in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. My smaller dog gets 1 1/2 cups and the bigger dog gets 2 1/2 cups.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesundbound
This feeds my two dogs, Clyde is a large golden and Bonnie is a medium size hound mix. I have been feeding them this for three weeks. It makes enough for 7-8 days. Bonnie's weight has not changed, she was healthy weight any way. Clyde has gone from 100 to 91 pounds. Once he gets closer to 80 I will see if his portion needs to be adjusted.

4 tbsp olive oil
6 large eggs
1.25 lbs chicken livers
2 lbs ground turkey
2 cups (uncooked) brown rice
6 sweet potatoes
16 oz bag frozen green beans
16 oz bag baby carrots

In one bowl mix olive oil, eggs with shells, turkey and chicken livers (cut up).

Boil carrots, beans, and cut up sweet potatoes with skins until soft (I use my biggest stock pot), then puree with water they were cooked in. (Dogs do not digest uncooked, whole vegetables).

Boil rice with 5-6 cups water until cooked.

Mix everything in one big pot then pour into baking dishes. Bake @ 375 for an hour. Let cool and divide into individual portions. I keep a few days worth in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. My smaller dog gets 1 1/2 cups and the bigger dog gets 2 1/2 cups.
Thanks! I will have to try this. My 8 year old pit bull has hypothyroidism and her coat and skin are looking dull, but she refuses to eat the healthy dog food and prefers the cheap food. I am sure she will love this though.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No problem. My dogs won't leave me alone at dinner time now
Old 05-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
ElToAnCy
Registered Users
seller

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about about dog foods... I had settled on Canidae but since then I've actually started raw feeding. We do the prey model diet and so far it's been amazing. No more yeast infections for my St Bernard and they absolutely LOVE their food now.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
At 14, just use what works and what the dog will eat.
I agree with this. I think making an elaborate homemade diet at this point isn't really going to do much but upset what your dog is used to. A diet is not going to undo any existing issues and well, it sounds like your pug is telling you what he wants to eat.

It would be like a 100 year old person who has eaten a standard American diet suddenly eating exclusively raw vegan, it is not going to make him feel or act like a puppy. It will probably involve further bowel blowouts or he might just turn his nose up completely at it.

Maybe try mixing in a bit of canned food and let your pup enjoy what time he has left. (I know it's sad, we had to say goodbye to our 15 year old dog almost 2 years go and it's the worst).
Old 05-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

Another raw meat and bones feeding family here. Super simple, no prep, no cooking and the 4 terriers we have LOVE it and are super healthy. We are going on 4 years raw this June.

Last edited by Resellmybelle; 05-05-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Resellmybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
yankeesundbound
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Obviously you have to do what you are most comfortable with, and speaking to vet first might be the best idea (especially with a dog who is advanced age).

We choose not to do the BARF diet because of the risk of bacterial contamination and stomach punctures. I hear it's a popular diet though. For me this recipe is no more elaborate than making a casserole once a week.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
Another raw meat and bones feeding family here. Super simple, no prep, no cooking and the 4 terriers we have LOVE it and are super healthy. We are going on 4 years raw this June.
We've been doing raw for a few months. A lot of chicken with eggs, chicken livers, beef tripe, and a few other things mixed in periodically. I did a lot of research before switching and found a slight risk with bacteria/raw bones etc. I figured it was a lower risk of another of our dogs dying of cancer or developing preventable disease because of an unnatural diet. My husband was a skeptic and is thoroughly convinced now that the dogs are healthier, more active, losing weight, shinier. It costs us slightly more than our Taste of the Wild, but costs less than the chemo/radiation/life-long steroids and kidney failure would have for our dog with auto-immune disorder.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote